Home

GameInformer Franchise article

This is a discussion on GameInformer Franchise article within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
Replicating the Playoffs Experience in NBA 2K24
TopSpin 2K25 Review - A Winning Return for the Series
Out Of The Park Baseball 25 Review: An Impressively Deep Managerial Experience

Old 07-24-2018, 10:15 AM   #97
MVP

PhillyPhanatic14's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: GameInformer Franchise article

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerDodger
I disagree with respect to FIFA. The fact that Madden has taken a lot of the features from FIFA shows that they are ahead of the curve. RPM was on FIFA first. Longshot was taken from FIFA. Frostbite was on FIFA first. FUT was ahead of MUT too if I recall correctly. But FIFA unlike Madden has really never had a stellar single player campaign experience. For years FIFA released a management sim title much like Madden did once with NFL Head Coach so they deliberately stayed away from developing their management single-player game. Madden had an excellent franchise mode in the not so distant past and it's really the fact they refuse to implement many of those elements now that's a key concern.

A lot of the things you mentioned are not decisions that the devs make, they are decisions that the execs at EA make. Fifa is the bell cow so it gets the new features first.

I was speaking about the career mode in Fifa and that is pathetic compared to Madden's and it has barely changed in the last four years. Madden isn't where I'd like it to be but it's got a lot of things that Fifa doesn't, most importantly online CFM that somehow Fifa still doesn't have, but in general Madden's improves much more year to year than Fifa's does.
Old 07-24-2018, 10:27 AM   #98
Madden Dev Team

DeuceDouglas's Arena

OVR: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cato06
This post reminded me of something I like about this years game. The biggest change I see in CFM this year is not being able to crank every player on your roster to at least an 85 overall rating just by loading all the XP into awareness and play recognition. Now with the new architypes and no control over what ratings are increased I noticed a lot more players on my roster with ratings in the 70’s which is way more realistic. It also makes free agency and the scouting that much more important.

In the past I wouldn’t even bother with FA in some years because I knew I had loaded up draft picks and knew 9 out of 10 times I would get my man in the draft and just boost those guys up in their rookie seasons. Plus they were cheaper so I would always have 20-30 mil in my cap space. You know there’s a problem when your backups are all rated at least 80 overall. This year it’s a little more challenging than that.

I would say this is my favorite biggest feature that is not being talked about enough. The game is not gonna be what everyone wants. It’s going to feel a lot like past maddens as far as presentation and CFM. But the archetypes is definitely a game changer for building teams. I will give EA that.
Going from the old progression system to the Skill Points is 1000% my favorite thing about CFM this year. It's not going to be perfect as performance is still going to be something that heavily dictates how players progress but for this year I think it's a good enough balance between the old system and a more realistic system. Just getting away from the old system is addition by subtraction. I'm hoping that next year if coaches are added, they and the DEV trait will take the place of performance and instead of Pro Bowls or statistical milestones being what you're after it will instead be good coaches.

Another thing I like about it though is getting that "unknown" factor back where you don't know how a player is going to progress. Part of what I loved about the older Madden's was playing the whole season and then getting progression/regression at the end of the season and then same thing at the end of preseason as well where you got to find out all the changes to your players and you didn't really know what was going to happen.
Old 07-24-2018, 10:30 AM   #99
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeuceDouglas
Going from the old progression system to the Skill Points is 1000% my favorite thing about CFM this year. It's not going to be perfect as performance is still going to be something that heavily dictates how players progress but for this year I think it's a good enough balance between the old system and a more realistic system. Just getting away from the old system is addition by subtraction. I'm hoping that next year if coaches are added, they and the DEV trait will take the place of performance and instead of Pro Bowls or statistical milestones being what you're after it will instead be good coaches.

Another thing I like about it though is getting that "unknown" factor back where you don't know how a player is going to progress. Part of what I loved about the older Madden's was playing the whole season and then getting progression/regression at the end of the season and then same thing at the end of preseason as well where you got to find out all the changes to your players and you didn't really know what was going to happen.
The end of this post made me think of something. It'd be cool if they made preseason matter more.

I'm nto sure how to do it, but I feel like you would never keep a UDFA guy because overalls matter so much more than performance in the preseason.

It'd be cool if they made bottom of the roster guys vary a lot in the preseason based a lot more on performance than anything else.

I have always thought performance (Not just awards and stuff liek that) should influence progression/regression more than it does. Realistically, that's a huge factor each year a game is released and new ratings are given. 1 year shouldn't bump a got from a 78 to an 88, but it shuld bump them mor than it does.
Old 07-24-2018, 10:34 AM   #100
Rookie

Not a waste. Groundwork was laid and now adjustments on utilization need to be made. I think the concept of a scheme is good. I just hope they do not abandon it because it is not too helpful in its current iteration.
Quote:
Originally Posted by shockl3y
So they basically wasted valuable development time on making a “new” system that is more or less the same in its results... Rather than adding anything substantial and actually new to CFM. I am so sick of these guys but until the NFL allows another company to make a game we’re stuck with them.
Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Old 07-24-2018, 10:40 AM   #101
MVP

saintrules's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsteele14
Not a waste. Groundwork was laid and now adjustments on utilization need to be made. I think the concept of a scheme is good. I just hope they do not abandon it because it is not too helpful in its current iteration.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
I'm not sure what groundwork was even laid? There's no foundation to even begin making adjustments on, the entire thing has to be blown up and started from scratch. The AI cannot even determine what cycle their franchise is in (dead, rebuilding, contending, SB). They are capable of producing a product that's worth the time, but as of right now, they seem content with "improving" the so called "franchise mode" they have.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-24-2018, 10:44 AM   #102
MVP

PhillyPhanatic14's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by saintrules
I'm not sure what groundwork was even laid? There's no foundation to even begin making adjustments on, the entire thing has to be blown up and started from scratch. The AI cannot even determine what cycle their franchise is in (dead, rebuilding, contending, SB). They are capable of producing a product that's worth the time, but as of right now, they seem content with "improving" the so called "franchise mode" they have.

lol now you're just trolling and saying dumb stuff. There's a lot of room for improvement, but there's a solid mode in place as it is.
Old 07-24-2018, 10:55 AM   #103
The Lama

Armor and Sword's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeah...THAT Guy
I'm pretty pessimistic about the Madden series in general, and I have a long, long list of complaints regarding the franchise mode, but as far as this article goes... having played in Madden Leagues for many years now and having played in a test league in the beta, I think the change to the progression system is much more significant than the article recognizes. I hate the XP-based progression in general, but the randomization of it is a huge upgrade over allowing users to basically turn all of their players into clones of one another to suit what the user wants/what is OP in gameplay.

The change to the scouting/draft system is a joke though, as is the fact that the philosophies have no tangible impact on the way your team plays.

And overall, I'm still so thoroughly unsatisfied with where this franchise mode is at; it pales in comparison to pretty much every other sports game and most of the other sports games leave a lot to be desired too.
Bingo. It is not just Madden. It is the entire landscape.

I play the crap out of MLB The Show and NBA 2K18 as well (where do I find the time...don't ask LOL). Their Franchise modes are definitely deeper. 2K though has the best customized experience on the market...but there is a lot of mundane tasks and the news portion and user interface is awful. But again they give you the best customization suite on the market. I want The Show to get to that place with customization in terms of divisions, expansion, and being able to replay classic seasons with the old AL East, West and NL East West and no wild card etc.

But what can't you do on Madden that completely kills it? Again I think immersion is the key to perception.

Everyone talks about how great Madden 12's franchise mode was. Really? Stale, sterile, buggy, I don't have/share that opinion. It is was totally lifeless. We applauded it because of how stripped down it was on the transition to the new PS3/360 consoles. It was a **** show!!!

M25 was the first time I had a blast in franchise mode since the PS2 days. And they have made small incremental improvements. They still have so much more they can do as I outlined in my previous post.

Bottom line is this. If you enjoy Maddens gameplay (which I do...always have, always will...been playing Madden since 1990) you will enjoy CFM and you can make it better for yourself with some imagination and house rules.

I do those for 2K and The Show as well which are thought of on a much higher level....when in fact those franchise modes have their quirks and workarounds needed.

It is the entire sports gaming landscape. The move to ultimate teams and E-Sports is very real.....and we are not the focus anymore. So I will take what I can get each cycle.....as long as the gameplay keeps improving and I can make CFM work for me....I am good.

I want AI and immersion to be a focus. There is enough meat to CFM where if they brought in a cinematic experience like Longshot into CFM mode this place will be singing koombaya and dancing in the streets and we will be high fiving each other.

Imagine having the show from Longshot "Real Football" with Pat Kirwin and Jim Miller each week in CFM going around the league with stories and highlights and player interviews....they have the tech....use it!!!!
Rise of the Ronin (PS5)
Star Wars Battlefront I and II Remastered (PS5)

Follow me on Twitch
https://www.twitch.tv/armorandsword
Follow me on Twitter
https://twitter.com/ArmorAndSword23

Last edited by Armor and Sword; 07-24-2018 at 11:13 AM.
Old 07-24-2018, 10:59 AM   #104
*ll St*r

roadman's Arena

OVR: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by saintrules
This is where you are incorrect

AJ mentioned they are using technology for CFM called Smartac(AJ correct me if I'm wrong on anything, lol) and that was much better technology than the old worn out past Franchise mode, where if anything they touched in one area, could set off another area.

Also, I think a lot of people are forgetting there is Ben Haumiller(sp)(formally of NCAA legendary game) spending more time on different areas of the game. AJ has mentioned this is a big plus.

It's just not changing at breakneck speeds for a lot of CFM folks.

Last edited by roadman; 07-24-2018 at 11:02 AM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »