Home

I'm getting shredded on defense

This is a discussion on I'm getting shredded on defense within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 11-28-2018, 12:40 PM   #1
Rookie

engrishbwudd's Arena

OVR: 0
I'm getting shredded on defense

I'm terrible at Madden, mostly on the defensive side, but I'm just terrible. I like having a losing season as a team that should have a losing season, but my passing defense is solid on paper and I'm giving up 350-450 passing yards every game, regardless of the opposing QB. I tried calling my own plays and when that didn't work I used coach suggestions and tweaked before the play (shading/choosing "Pass Play") and it didn't really improve much. I'm reluctant to change the pass coverage sliders because half of the community says the sliders are reverse, so I don't want to take the risk.

Should I just git gud? Any tips to limit the absurd passing numbers every game?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-28-2018, 01:41 PM   #2
MVP

Rocket32's Arena

Re: I'm getting shredded on defense

Quote:
Originally Posted by engrishbwudd
I'm terrible at Madden, mostly on the defensive side, but I'm just terrible. I like having a losing season as a team that should have a losing season, but my passing defense is solid on paper and I'm giving up 350-450 passing yards every game, regardless of the opposing QB. I tried calling my own plays and when that didn't work I used coach suggestions and tweaked before the play (shading/choosing "Pass Play") and it didn't really improve much. I'm reluctant to change the pass coverage sliders because half of the community says the sliders are reverse, so I don't want to take the risk.

Should I just git gud? Any tips to limit the absurd passing numbers every game?
Defense seems to have gotten much weaker since the latest patch. The CPU running game was fixed which is a good thing, but they ruined passing now for both user and CPU. More specifically pass coverage. That combination leads to much more offense.

I play on All Madden. I’ve used 2 different slider sets as well. Haven’t had a low scoring defensive battle type of game since the patch.

In one game since the patch I played as the Patriots Vs Texans. I threw for 578 yards and 6 TD’s with Brady. Watson threw for 398 yards and 3 TD’s. I was throwing a lot as my defense got shredded early. Texans defense became near useless as well after the first few drives. Score finished 56-54.

I’ll share one more example. I played as the Bears vs Packers. Didn’t really feel like it was the Bears defense. Even the Bears defense got torn apart. Rodgers 345 yards and a TD. Aaron Jones 112 rushing yards and 3 TD’s.

I almost had 300 passing yards with Trubisky and had a 106.4 passer rating, same as Rodgers. Gave up 38 points with the Bears defense.

I don’t think any slider guys here have found a way to fix this. Maybe EA will fix it after the NFL season is already over and everyone is already losing interest in playing a football video game.

Last edited by Rocket32; 11-28-2018 at 01:50 PM.
Old 11-28-2018, 02:11 PM   #3
MVP

underdog13's Arena

Ha! Who wants to watch me give up 400 passing yards in one half?

https://youtu.be/VMZ3dZOrzzg

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
Old 11-28-2018, 03:43 PM   #4
MVP

The quickest and easiest means of improving your pass D is getting more pressure. The AI struggles against 6 man rushes. You can either call a zero blitz out of the huddle or set something up with a zone play and some hot routes.

Even if you don't get sacks the under pressure modifier will nerf their accuracy and you'll start forcing more incomplete passes.

Whether you favor man, zone, or like to mix things up it's also really important to manually move players to get them in better position to execute their assignments. The default alignments for most defensive formations this year stink. This is especially true of safeties with deep responsibility. They often need to be moved to almost LB depth or else they will allow way too much room between themselves and the underneath coverage.
Old 11-28-2018, 03:44 PM   #5
Rookie

Since the last patch I’m getting killed in the second half of games to teams endlessly using the short passing game.

One week I watched Rodgers lead the Packers on a 21-play, 91-yard drive where every third or fourth down the ball was out of his hands to a back or Jimmy Graham before I could do anything.

The next I played Teddy Bridgwater and the Bears. He was 14 of 26 in the first half, but then 12 of 14 in the second. Endless dump offs and slants that I just ended up feeling helpless to stop.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-28-2018, 04:56 PM   #6
Rookie

Yeah it did feel like pass coverage is a little bit more loose for both human and cpu. I’d say what one poster said a couple posts above me. The best way to get decent pass defense is probably unrealistic but calling a lot of cover 0 blitzes forces more inaccurate passes this year in Madden. On a side note with the way the nfl is going with this consistent movement to “all offense” games, unfortunately Arcade mode might be closer to the new “sim”
Old 12-05-2018, 09:58 PM   #7
Rookie

Diablo2127's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket32
Defense seems to have gotten much weaker since the latest patch. The CPU running game was fixed which is a good thing, but they ruined passing now for both user and CPU. More specifically pass coverage. That combination leads to much more offense.

I play on All Madden. I’ve used 2 different slider sets as well. Haven’t had a low scoring defensive battle type of game since the patch.

In one game since the patch I played as the Patriots Vs Texans. I threw for 578 yards and 6 TD’s with Brady. Watson threw for 398 yards and 3 TD’s. I was throwing a lot as my defense got shredded early. Texans defense became near useless as well after the first few drives. Score finished 56-54.

I’ll share one more example. I played as the Bears vs Packers. Didn’t really feel like it was the Bears defense. Even the Bears defense got torn apart. Rodgers 345 yards and a TD. Aaron Jones 112 rushing yards and 3 TD’s.

I almost had 300 passing yards with Trubisky and had a 106.4 passer rating, same as Rodgers. Gave up 38 points with the Bears defense.

I don’t think any slider guys here have found a way to fix this. Maybe EA will fix it after the NFL season is already over and everyone is already losing interest in playing a football video game.
I’m sorry guys I disagree I think the defense on my end got a lot better unless I got a lot better which I think a little bit of both I never use the coach advice or help it whatever they call it u will get burned buy a good player all day long just practice and gotta mix up blitzes I know it sounds easier then done but gotta just play a lot and practice

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »