Home

RPO in Madden

This is a discussion on RPO in Madden within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-20-2019, 11:20 AM   #1
Rookie

LocDawg5050's Arena

OVR: 0
RPO in Madden

Do you guys feel like RPO can be successfully implemented in madden? I mean it would be how the option run is carried out. Hold the button to have the RB keep it in the zone run or wait for the passing icons to appear to throw.

Obviously the players decision would be to read what the defense is doing ie... are the LB showing the run stop or are CB playing soft.

But their needs to be variation of the play in the formation. I would assume see some sort of HOT call for the defense where they show blitz but actually stay in zone. Just something to counter the RPO call.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-20-2019, 11:25 AM   #2
Rookie

Re: RPO in Madden

Pretty sure they had it in NCAA games.

It’s really annoying that it’s not in.

Honestly the playbooks need some serious work.

When Lamar Jackson took over for the ravens their playbook completely changed. It’s still not updated to show the new playsets so if you use the ravens you have to use another teams playbook.

Really only Carolina has the read option in multiple plays.
Old 01-20-2019, 11:39 AM   #3
Rookie

LocDawg5050's Arena

I agree....the PB's need to be updated to what's being used in the NFL. Yeah some runs are in there but there is a lot more shifting and motions and pre sets that are happening to make the defense show their card.

Would like to see the fake snap used like it should be..not just to draw the DL offsides but i wanna see the blitzing defenses players take that step forward. The QB sees that and makes a hot adjustment.

Old 01-20-2019, 02:14 PM   #4
Pro

This has been discussed several times in the past.....true RPOs would basically require a full, ground-up AI rewrite, and thus aren't likely any time soon.

EA devs have talked publicly about this. What you described as "easy to implement" is purely from a user control perspective...AI is an entirely different critter.

The run block/pass block decision is a keystone AI trigger for (nearly) every other AI behavior; defensive player behavior especially is based on it. If simply dropped in as is, you'd get behavior like DBs simply freaking out and ignoring routes. Failed handoffs, the o line simply failing to move, receivers freaking out, etc. Draws work because nobody is going downfield to block first, and as it is, draws can cause some really weird AI behavior. A downfield route while the line is run blocking is straight out.

Those dependencies can be changed....but there are so many, you're 75% of the way to a full AI rewrite anyway, and you probably better do it to avoid some ridiculous code regressions.

And for the record, no, NCAA didn't have RPOs. They had some play-action plays where you could force a handoff instead. RPOs were in development on the NCAA engine (that was traditionally where EA did most of their new stuff), but it wasn't ready for NCAA 14, and the series was cancelled after that.

Some quick source articles....the SB Nation one in particular is a great read, and a strong example why EA needs to bring NCAA back, to improve Madden's quality if nothing else:

https://www.sbnation.com/college-foo...ootball-madden

https://www.usgamer.net/articles/mad...ss-option-news

Last edited by tg88forHOF; 01-20-2019 at 02:55 PM.
Old 01-21-2019, 05:59 PM   #5
MVP

booker21's Arena

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjacks17
Pretty sure they had it in NCAA games.

It’s really annoying that it’s not in.

Honestly the playbooks need some serious work.

When Lamar Jackson took over for the ravens their playbook completely changed. It’s still not updated to show the new playsets so if you use the ravens you have to use another teams playbook.

Really only Carolina has the read option in multiple plays.
Don't hold your breath. We are still running the same plays for over 20 years.

EA add 2 or 3 formation and we are all YAY! but if you think about it is so sad
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-22-2019, 11:21 AM   #6
Pro

The other part of it is the defense. You have to be able to implement a defense that can defend it
Old 01-22-2019, 02:58 PM   #7
MVP

Jagsfan24's Arena

Well being it deals with a play action fake kinda move, and in Madden this year most the time i do a play action i get sacked, so i am not sure if it can work. Maybe though, would be cool
Old 01-24-2019, 11:59 AM   #8
Rookie

LocDawg5050's Arena

Jagsfan...i know its a lil off topic but i set my blocking to the roll out side. If i PA and roll out left...i set my block to that side...oddly enuff i get more time to pass.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »