Home

Cover 3 logic broken or WAD?

This is a discussion on Cover 3 logic broken or WAD? within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-30-2019, 09:06 AM   #9
MVP

4thQtrStre5S's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Cover 3 logic broken or WAD?

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillies6f
This doesn’t explain the plays I’ve had with the cornerback in cover 3 running towards the middle of the field when his receiver runs a go route right by him. In no world can that corner confuse his assignment unless he just heard the play wrong. The LB’s in the hook zones could maybe get coverage mixed up, but when they sprint to cover a receiver who has two guys covering him already it’s headscratching. If this is actually caused by fail rolls I’d be upset with how they’ve been implemented.
I am wondering, if there is a critical fail roll then the result animation would have to be a destination already programmed, maybe another zone? So a failed roll could land a cornerback into a hook zone, but then only the slot corner has a hook zone option. So ultimately, it would seem more logically that there is an error, at least in the result of the fail roll.

There has been issues in the past when applying certain adjustments pre-snap. I believe for Cover 4 the play to sticks adjustment was causing the deep blue zones to dive out of covering deep streaks. Maybe it ventured over to Cover 3? Since I don't adjust to sticks, that may be why I haven't recreated the issue?
Old 01-30-2019, 12:11 PM   #10
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4thQtrStre5S
I am wondering, if there is a critical fail roll then the result animation would have to be a destination already programmed, maybe another zone? So a failed roll could land a cornerback into a hook zone, but then only the slot corner has a hook zone option. So ultimately, it would seem more logically that there is an error, at least in the result of the fail roll. --------
I am now seeing an issue on occasion when calling cover 3 match. Pre-patch, an outside corner would only match to man when confronted with a vertical threat route. Now, the corner is instanty matching at times when either X or Z receiver runs a quick dig, drag, etc... The end result with this is that both the corner and hook zone defender end up double-covering the receiver. I never experienced this until the latest update.

I know they did some work with cover 3 concerning the handling of wheel and switch concepts. My guess is that perhaps an over-correction occurred and may be the likely culprit. There are certain concepts that are going to win against certain coverages. However, this should not cause glaring mistakes in defensive assignments.

Oddly enough, I have actually noticed my base cover 3 defenses working better. The hook zones are picking up their assignments a bit quicker and carrying for a little longer, especially with regards to a slot receiver running down the seam.
Old 01-30-2019, 04:27 PM   #11
Rookie

John_2400's Arena

Quote:
This doesn’t explain the plays I’ve had with the cornerback in cover 3 running towards the middle of the field when his receiver runs a go route right by him. In no world can that corner confuse his assignment unless he just heard the play wrong. The LB’s in the hook zones could maybe get coverage mixed up, but when they sprint to cover a receiver who has two guys covering him already it’s headscratching. If this is actually caused by fail rolls I’d be upset with how they’ve been implemented.
Here go exactly what you talking about. Any current or former defensive coaches or players in here? Is this the way these coverages suppose to be played. I know it's not cvr3 but you all get the idea.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=RwGXkoD-rPw
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=qzfRgtYIxNU
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-30-2019, 04:50 PM   #12
Rookie

phillies6f's Arena

Appreciate the video, but that's not actually the type of coverage breakdown I'm talking about. My understanding of cover 6 is limited, but at least there the corner is at least taking the outside receiver.

What I'm talking about is Cover 3, the outside thirds. The corner is lined up with the outside receiver and at the snap take three or four steps inside towards the middle of the field, his receiver then blows by him if he's running a go route and the defense gives up a big play.
Old 01-30-2019, 08:08 PM   #13
Rookie

phillies6f's Arena

Just happened to me again, here's a sequence of screenshots.
1. Alexander lined up with Diggs in Cover 3 Sky
2. Alexander starts sprinting towards a receiver running a route in the middle of the field (who is not his responsibility)
3. The ball is thrown and Alexander starts backpedaling!!! towards Diggs who caught it for a touchdown

Alexander should know that he is the ONLY one covering that deep third and even if number 12 isn't going to be picked up by the safety in the deep middle (which he is) Alexander shouldn't just leave his man in the middle of the play and should actually turn and run once the ball is thrown in order to try and make a play
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4335.jpg (107.6 KB, 89 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4336.jpg (102.2 KB, 88 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4337.jpg (101.9 KB, 87 views)

Last edited by phillies6f; 01-30-2019 at 08:10 PM.
Old 01-31-2019, 12:32 AM   #14
MVP

4thQtrStre5S's Arena

Quote:
Just happened to me again, here's a sequence of screenshots.
1. Alexander lined up with Diggs in Cover 3 Sky
2. Alexander starts sprinting towards a receiver running a route in the middle of the field (who is not his responsibility)
3. The ball is thrown and Alexander starts backpedaling!!! towards Diggs who caught it for a touchdown

Alexander should know that he is the ONLY one covering that deep third and even if number 12 isn't going to be picked up by the safety in the deep middle (which he is) Alexander shouldn't just leave his man in the middle of the play and should actually turn and run once the ball is thrown in order to try and make a play
Interesting. One thing I seem to see from the screens is the route combo is a cover 3 beater with the slot running a deep In route along side the outside streak.

Do u know the offensive play used? I am gonna lab some cover 3 sky and see what happens. I rarely run cover 3 sky because I have been using cover 2 tampa and putting my MLB in deep blue.

It could very well be that logic was negatively affected when fixing zones to match other routes.

Last edited by 4thQtrStre5S; 01-31-2019 at 01:15 AM.
Old 01-31-2019, 10:20 AM   #15
Rookie

Quote:
I have players miss assignments. I have not been able to consistently reproduce blown assignments. This is beginning to make me believe that there may be critical fail rolls in madden which lead to blown coverages. This would make sense in a realism sense.

I don't mind the blown coverage like my LB getting to deep or maybe coming up and getting beat over the top but the one I saw the other day was my LB drops into a yellow zone basically on the left hash line and out of nowhere he bolts for the WR running a go on the right side of the field with the RB coming right at him on a route out of the back field leaving wide open for a big gain.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-31-2019, 11:55 AM   #16
Rookie

phillies6f's Arena

Quote:
Interesting. One thing I seem to see from the screens is the route combo is a cover 3 beater with the slot running a deep In route along side the outside streak.

Do u know the offensive play used? I am gonna lab some cover 3 sky and see what happens. I rarely run cover 3 sky because I have been using cover 2 tampa and putting my MLB in deep blue.

It could very well be that logic was negatively affected when fixing zones to match other routes.

Unfortunately I do not remember the offensive play used. Let us know if you find anything new.

Well put webbjay, you hit the nail on the head.

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »