Home

Madden NFL 20 Beta Impressions, Post Your Weekend Thoughts

This is a discussion on Madden NFL 20 Beta Impressions, Post Your Weekend Thoughts within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-23-2019, 02:27 PM   #201
MVP

OVR: 0
Re: Madden NFL 20 Beta Impressions, Post Your Weekend Thoughts

Tampa 2 plus good user is never going to not be viable so long as a four man/three plus a spy rush gets through with any sort of regularity. Good ZCV, passable athleticism, and elite size on the outside can mask many of the flaws in coverage logic.

Hell, 46 Normal Cover 2 Invert is still a nightmare and that's been around for almost two decades LOL.

I love when my opponent spams single high in user vs. user games. Fastest zones to break down in the game, guaranteed. The adjustments needed to actually stay safe against verts on the outside or crossers are also easily exploitable.

Also you could flood cover 3 all day long in M19, and since no updates to zones were announced I'm going to assume it's true again. The mable defender was always way too slow to pick up any out breaking routes. If anyone who played the beta has a different take I'd be glad to hear it.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-24-2019, 06:11 PM   #202
Rookie

dsk1317's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by stinkubus
Tampa 2 plus good user is never going to not be viable so long as a four man/three plus a spy rush gets through with any sort of regularity. Good ZCV, passable athleticism, and elite size on the outside can mask many of the flaws in coverage logic.

Hell, 46 Normal Cover 2 Invert is still a nightmare and that's been around for almost two decades LOL.

I love when my opponent spams single high in user vs. user games. Fastest zones to break down in the game, guaranteed. The adjustments needed to actually stay safe against verts on the outside or crossers are also easily exploitable.

Also you could flood cover 3 all day long in M19, and since no updates to zones were announced I'm going to assume it's true again. The mable defender was always way too slow to pick up any out breaking routes. If anyone who played the beta has a different take I'd be glad to hear it.
You can call a 3-step drop (slant/flat), hot route #1 to a go route, and hit him Every. Single. Time. Versus. Tampa. 2. on the third step of his drop.

Also, 3 level flood concepts are designed to beat zone coverage, so don't act that's a flaw in the game. Another piece of information for you, crossing routes will find/cross holes in zone coverage.

DO NOT SPEAK ON THINGS OF WHICH YOU KNOW VERY LITTLE.
Old 06-24-2019, 06:17 PM   #203
Rookie

dsk1317's Arena

Quote:

And WTF, man, you didn't even play the beta, did you?!?!?!
Old 06-24-2019, 06:41 PM   #204
Dead!

CM Hooe's Arena

OVR: 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsk1317

Yeah I’m cutting this off immediately. We’re gonna keep the discourse here mutually civil and respectful, thanks. I’d much rather read an insightful back-and-forth about the nuances of the coverages in Madden than have to play forum manners police.
Old 06-24-2019, 11:27 PM   #205
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsk1317
You can call a 3-step drop (slant/flat), hot route #1 to a go route, and hit him Every. Single. Time. Versus. Tampa. 2. on the third step of his drop.

Also, 3 level flood concepts are designed to beat zone coverage, so don't act that's a flaw in the game. Another piece of information for you, crossing routes will find/cross holes in zone coverage.

The vertical is taken care of by hot routing the cloud to a soft squat and shading outside.

So I guess if we need to take everything super literally, then I should've said 2 Sink and not Tampa 2.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-25-2019, 07:50 AM   #206
MVP

Quote:
The vertical is taken care of by hot routing the cloud to a soft squat and shading outside.

So I guess if we need to take everything super literally, then I should've said 2 Sink and not Tampa 2.
There is definitely some confusion as to how Cover 2 defenses operate in Madden, from year to year. For instance, in Madden 17 Cover 2 sink CB's would match to vertical threats while the MLB would drop deep in mid-read coverage. In Madden 19 regarding the same coverage, sometimes CB's would match to a vertical threat, while other times they would bail and drive the flat? However, Tampa 2 worked perfectly, which of course doesn't mean there aren't weak spots in the zone.

Every zone coverage has holes. I think what happens sometimes is folks figure out that certain plays beat certain coverages so they complain that coverage is broken. A fix is patched which then leads to the overall coverage not playing as it should. As of the Beta, the MLB does not cover correctly regarding Tampa 2. He does not drop deeply enough or react to threats in his area with any sense of urgency. Safeties also have a tendency to "sit" a bit too long before turning to stay on top of the receivers.

Again, hopefully this is remedied before launch, since with the added touch on the ball now present when throwing deep, it actually allows for you to click on the safety and actually play the ball. This could be a nice coverage to mix in if working correctly.
Old 06-25-2019, 10:23 AM   #207
MVP

4thQtrStre5S's Arena

I wonder, as we talk of zone coverages in Madden, and what they should do, or shouldn't do, if we consider the ratings of the players involved in the specific coverage?

Defenders also have to fit the coverage they are working within.

Then we get into the question of whether ratings count or is it just a matter of calling the correct coverage? Certainly in Man coverage it appears to have leaned towards the offense calling man beaters, in the past. Of course certain routes and concepts give advantages, but then certain players are just superior in technique or raw abilities and can win matchups.

I don't envy the developers as they attempt to find the balance which makes the most users happy.
Old 06-25-2019, 10:26 AM   #208
MVP

4thQtrStre5S's Arena

^^ With that said. Coverages such a Cover 4 are lacking many additional logic points which allow it to be used against many offensive formations (unbalanced) and route combos, including Bunch.

Split coverages should be able to cover, generally speaking, floods and other such concepts that standard Cover 2 or Cover 3 are not necessarily designed for in their base zone responsibilities.

It is the lack of defensive abilities available to the user which allows certain offensive formations and concepts such as Bunch and Crossers or Floods to become the meta. I lack control over my defense's zone logic. Or, is the defense designed to force the user to actually USER a position to make the defense work effectively?

Last edited by 4thQtrStre5S; 06-25-2019 at 10:35 AM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »