Home

Has regression been fixed in Madden 20???

This is a discussion on Has regression been fixed in Madden 20??? within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-24-2019, 06:14 AM   #9
MVP

Shosum13's Arena

OVR: 1
Re: Has regression been fixed in Madden 20???

My only complaint with the regression system in madden 19 was that it felt like pretty much every player was on the same regression curve. Now granted dev level would somewhat come in to play and some guys would hold off regress less than others. But for more unpredictability I want to see rare cases where some guys fall off younger and some rare situations where some guys don't start regression until a little later. It would suck if you ended up with a player or two that started their regression at 26-27, but it would add more of an unpredictability and fun factor to it.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Old 07-24-2019, 06:43 AM   #10
Pro

Executor's Arena

OVR: 1

You guys all seem to miss an important fact in the OP where the poster says his LB regressed while leading the league in tackles. This simply should not have happened just because guy's 30. It kind of reminds me of when my 27 maybe 28 year old CB lost his dev trait in M19 despite leading the league in picks. Overall I have to admit I did not see anything too egregious too often in M19 regarding regression, so the OP might be kind of an outlier, but still...
Marshall Thundering Herd
Los Angeles Dodgers

"Greater than I, lesser than I, what does it matter to my functioning?"
(Steve Perry: Shadows of the Empire)
Old 07-24-2019, 06:52 AM   #11
@HoundsOfHowl

HoundsOfHowl's Arena

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Executor
You guys all seem to miss an important fact in the OP where the poster says his LB regressed while leading the league in tackles. This simply should not have happened just because guy's 30. It kind of reminds me of when my 27 maybe 28 year old CB lost his dev trait in M19 despite leading the league in picks. Overall I have to admit I did not see anything too egregious too often in M19 regarding regression, so the OP might be kind of an outlier, but still...
Good point. Do the ratings analysist folks downgrade a 28 year old who leads the league in tackles? Heck no, he’s getting a ratings boost.

IRL if 28 year old is an 81 has a crazy year, he’s probably going to be a 90 next season.

In madden cfm as 28 year old can have a great season probably progress to a 84 or so over the course of the season and at the end regress down.

Doesn’t make much sense to me
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-24-2019, 07:02 AM   #12
MVP

PhillyPhanatic14's Arena

OVR: 0

They claimed to have added more diversity to the regression last year. Not sure if that was ever thoroughly tested or if that remains in M20. I know for myself that I had some players that went into the 33-35yr old range without significant regression while others started at 28yr old in Madden 19, even while playing well.

But overall, it's the same discussion every year... one side says a player should be higher the following year if he had good stats in the prior season, the other side says that stats aren't an indication of future growth, especially for an older player.

Regardless of our opinions, Tiburon seems to believe that age 29-30 should be the beginning of the end for most guys and I would assume that the stats throughout nfl history back that up for the majority of guys. There's always exceptions like frank gore and AP, but in general that seems to be the trend and i think that's what they're aiming for.
Old 07-24-2019, 07:33 AM   #13
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoundsOfHowl
Good point. Do the ratings analysist folks downgrade a 28 year old who leads the league in tackles? Heck no, he’s getting a ratings boost.

IRL if 28 year old is an 81 has a crazy year, he’s probably going to be a 90 next season.

In madden cfm as 28 year old can have a great season probably progress to a 84 or so over the course of the season and at the end regress down.

Doesn’t make much sense to me
This makes it extremely hard to do any kind of rebuild for a team in franchise mode. I like picking really bad teams and making them contenders but I can’t really do that if, for example, I have a 28 year old guy who’s 85 but then just because I finish the first year he regresses to a 78.

I understand where a lot of the other guys are coming from. The NFL is and always will be a young man’s sport. That being said, I don’t agree with players losing 8 points off their acceleration, 6 points off their pursuit, and 7 points off their man coverage ONLY because a few months has passed by.
Old 07-24-2019, 07:38 AM   #14
MVP

underdog13's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Executor
No that's completely fine. Prior performance doesn't prevent someone from regression.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
Old 07-24-2019, 07:41 AM   #15
MVP

underdog13's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoundsOfHowl

If that happened Irl, then that guy was never truly an 81 to begin with.

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-24-2019, 08:17 AM   #16
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by underdog13
If that happened Irl, then that guy was never truly an 81 to begin with.

I would suggest that IRL no one has ratings. So while I'm not always a fan of what EA does, I think people go a little crazy over ratings. In Madden, we have the luxury of a number system to tell us if a guys is any good but IRL teams have to rely on scouting reports so whether a guy is a 81 or a 90 is irrelevant, he's a guy.

There's no system that is going to be perfect when it comes to regression/progression because this is a game and not real life but while possible, its not likely that the 28 year old leading the league in tackles is going to drop off a cliff absent an injury or switching teams/systems. So if it happens once in 10 years, ok. If it happens to 3 players in two seasons, not ok.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »