Home

QB pocket carrying rating

This is a discussion on QB pocket carrying rating within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-15-2019, 08:49 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 0
QB pocket carrying rating

Should QBs have a separate carrying rating for when they're in the pocket and one for when they are running? I ask this because with a lot of the mobile QBs they can make a guy miss in the open field but in madden just taking a regular tackle puts you at high risk for the QB to just drop the ball.
Fumbling while trying to throw vs while trying to run are different and having QBs fumble so easy really limit their abilities.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-16-2019, 12:58 AM   #2
Banned

Re: QB pocket carrying rating

Quote:
Originally Posted by webbjay82
Should QBs have a separate carrying rating for when they're in the pocket and one for when they are running? I ask this because with a lot of the mobile QBs they can make a guy miss in the open field but in madden just taking a regular tackle puts you at high risk for the QB to just drop the ball.
Fumbling while trying to throw vs while trying to run are different and having QBs fumble so easy really limit their abilities.
3 of the top 30 players in Fumbles in 2018 were non QBs, fact of the matter is QBs are more prone to fumbles than any other position whether in the pocket or running.
Old 08-16-2019, 11:51 AM   #3
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDominator273
3 of the top 30 players in Fumbles in 2018 were non QBs, fact of the matter is QBs are more prone to fumbles than any other position whether in the pocket or running.

How many of those fumbles were in the pocket vs them taking off running?
Just look at Lamar Jackson against the Packers last night, He made multiple people miss in the open field but in madden the QBs will drop the ball during a regular tackle much less trying to juke someone.
Old 08-16-2019, 12:10 PM   #4
Banned

Then slide. That's the point. The only reason QBs fumble less in the open field is that they avoid contact. If you are worried about realism, then this is a non-issue. Get out of bounds or get to the ground.

Also, Lamar Jackson is a fumbling machine. He may have had a good run last night, but he predictably fumbles a lot.

Last edited by JayhawkerStL; 08-16-2019 at 01:27 PM.
Old 08-16-2019, 01:23 PM   #5
MVP

Nunyerbiz's Arena

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayhawkerStL
Then slide. That's the point. The only reason QBs fumble less in the open field is that they avoid contact. If you are worried about realism, then this is a non-issue. Get out of bounds or get to the ground.

Also, Lamar Jackson is a fumbling machine. He may have had a good run last night, but he predictable fumbles a lot.
Yea... bringing up the guy who led the league in fumbles last year might not be the best way he could have made his point.

But just from a gameplay perspective, I like having heightened fumble and/or injury risk when getting greedy with the scrambling QBs... Otherwise it's just too easy to run your offense like some crazy NCAA14 cheese where QBs could lead the nation in rushing if you had any stick skills. Sure, they fumbled more than RB/WR in that game as well... but generally speaking a good mobile QBs was typically a better runner than any RB on the roster and usually needed a solid hitstick to force the fumble.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-16-2019, 01:55 PM   #6
Rookie

My point is how often do you see Cam bang through a tackle to get a first down, compared to madden where he has a very high chance of fumbling if he takes a regular tackle.

Their open field carry rate shouldn't be as high as a runningback, but if you look at lets say Dak Prescott 9/10 fumbles he has are in the pocket/trying to throw, He rarely fumbles as a runner, compared to Madden where especially the CPU that doesn't know to get down a lot of the time will just fumble off a normal tackle without even using the hitstick.
Old 08-16-2019, 02:04 PM   #7
MVP

Nunyerbiz's Arena

OVR: 4

It's a hard thing to balance any way you want to slice it... And I'm sure part of that 9/10 thing for Dak would probably have something to do with him sliding or getting out of bounds on most of his rushing attempts. Most QBs, even known scramblers, typically try to avoid contact unless maybe lunging for a 1st down/touchdown.

Perhaps it's a bit tuned in the wrong direction if looking at realism in the NFL, I don't know as I don't have the numbers, but I like it as a gameplay mechanic: Take what you can get with a QB rush and not an inch more or the fumble/injury chances skyrocket.
Old 08-16-2019, 04:56 PM   #8
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nunyerbiz
It's a hard thing to balance any way you want to slice it... And I'm sure part of that 9/10 thing for Dak would probably have something to do with him sliding or getting out of bounds on most of his rushing attempts. Most QBs, even known scramblers, typically try to avoid contact unless maybe lunging for a 1st down/touchdown.

Perhaps it's a bit tuned in the wrong direction if looking at realism in the NFL, I don't know as I don't have the numbers, but I like it as a gameplay mechanic: Take what you can get with a QB rush and not an inch more or the fumble/injury chances skyrocket.

Maybe that could be a good solution, bump up the QBs carry rating but make it as to where they are more likely to fumble if they get hit sticked.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »