Home

Speed on defense

This is a discussion on Speed on defense within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-18-2019, 01:26 AM   #1
Nza
MVP

OVR: 16
Speed on defense

I've started to control a CB in playerlock mode (a generated rookie in his 2nd season) in a Giants CFM and I've noticed that despite having 92 speed and 93 acc, I'm being outrun in coverage - if a WR ever gets behind me and the QB lets it rip, the WR, despite having significantly lower speed and acc, will always beat me to the ball and I'm unable to use my speed advantage to make up for the relaxed coverage.

I don't have a video of that, but I do have this:

In this play, a CPU controlled Ogletree picks off the pass and takes it back for 6. He has 84 speed and 88 acc. I'm controlling the CB behind, and as you can see I'm losing ground by the time the TD is scored. I don't think stamina is an issue, at least I don't see why it would be for my controlled CB and not Ogletree.

I'm holding down the speed boost here, am I doing something wrong?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-18-2019, 08:43 AM   #2
Rookie

GameBreaker35's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Speed on defense

Are you playing All-Madden? User controlled player’s speeds are throttled on that difficulty - have been for many years.

If it’s not, it could be that the animation that got dice rolled while the ball was in the air requires the receiver to warp or get speed boost to a spot that was further upfield relative to the defender.

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
Old 09-18-2019, 06:15 PM   #3
Nza
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by GameBreaker35
Are you playing All-Madden? User controlled player’s speeds are throttled on that difficulty - have been for many years.

If it’s not, it could be that the animation that got dice rolled while the ball was in the air requires the receiver to warp or get speed boost to a spot that was further upfield relative to the defender.

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
No, all-pro.

It's not so much the WRs get the separation on catch, but if they have 40 yards to go to the endzone, they'll either pull away or I won't make any ground despite the speed advantage. Just like this video shows in running behind the LB (which may not be the best example of this, because there is no dire need to catch up to the LB, but this is exactly what it looks like when in coverage too).

Could it be because he is a zone CB? not a Superstar yet? I would have thought speed was speed but I know the QB scrambling badge makes a huge difference in quickness behind the LOS.
Old 09-20-2019, 11:29 AM   #4
TrueSim Projects-Creator

Cycloniac's Arena

OVR: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nza
I've started to control a CB in playerlock mode (a generated rookie in his 2nd season) in a Giants CFM and I've noticed that despite having 92 speed and 93 acc, I'm being outrun in coverage - if a WR ever gets behind me and the QB lets it rip, the WR, despite having significantly lower speed and acc, will always beat me to the ball and I'm unable to use my speed advantage to make up for the relaxed coverage.

I don't have a video of that, but I do have this:

In this play, a CPU controlled Ogletree picks off the pass and takes it back for 6. He has 84 speed and 88 acc. I'm controlling the CB behind, and as you can see I'm losing ground by the time the TD is scored. I don't think stamina is an issue, at least I don't see why it would be for my controlled CB and not Ogletree.

I'm holding down the speed boost here, am I doing something wrong?
What do you have your speed threshold slider set to?

Old 09-20-2019, 07:13 PM   #5
Nza
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cycloniac
What do you have your speed threshold slider set to?
It's set to default, 50.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-20-2019, 08:40 PM   #6
TrueSim Projects-Creator

Cycloniac's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nza
It's set to default, 50.
Try lowering it to 25

Old 09-21-2019, 08:00 PM   #7
Nza
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cycloniac
Try lowering it to 25
I get the point of this, but when slower guys are pulling away I'm not sure this slider is going to help - that would make more sense if it was the case my faster guy was closing in but just not quick enough.
Old 09-21-2019, 08:13 PM   #8
TrueSim Projects-Creator

Cycloniac's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nza
I get the point of this, but when slower guys are pulling away I'm not sure this slider is going to help - that would make more sense if it was the case my faster guy was closing in but just not quick enough.
The logic is that the speed differential would matter more than it does currently, so it should help. If it doesn't, then something else is happening under the hood

I think it's worth a shot

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »