Home

CPU run/pass ratio playcalling improved after patch?

This is a discussion on CPU run/pass ratio playcalling improved after patch? within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-24-2019, 01:31 PM   #1
Pro

OVR: 7
CPU run/pass ratio playcalling improved after patch?

I've seen an increase in rain calls by the CPU since the new patch 1.14. It now seems there's definitely a more balanced playcalling. Dallas, which would throw 20 times and run 8 times in the first half previously now with the patch was at 15 pass and 12 runs in the first half. I played against KC and Jacksonville and saw the same things from the CPU. I am certainly happy about this if this keeps working like it should consistently since I'm only a franchise offline guy.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-24-2019, 03:22 PM   #2
Rookie

ICE_790120q's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: CPU run/pass ratio playcalling improved after patch?

I started a thread on this a few weeks back and there was another one opened later on.

I don't think the patches are having an effect on this, what I have seen that has an impact is if you have an x-factor player on your team that would cause the CPU to game plan around that.

I came to this conclusion because I play a 32 team CFM, so each week I play like 50 to 60% of the weekly games and I usually pick all teams through out the season.

I've set the game plan for the team I will be facing. So for example if I'm going to play the Dolphins vs. Patriots team and I will be controlling the Pats on that game, when setting up the Dolphins the coordinator will highlight that they are facing a top notch CB (Gilmore), if I agree with containing him and also then simulate the Dolphins training by selecting a run play instead of the suggested one (which is always pass plays). Once I start the game and control the Pats, the Dolphins play calling will be more geared towards running the ball.

If your team does not have an x-factor defensive team you can just adjust the training of your opponent with a run play, forcing the CPU to run a bit more of that type of play.

That's the only way I've been able to generate a bit more balanced pass/rush play calling from the CPU.
Old 09-24-2019, 05:11 PM   #3
MVP

vannwolfhawk's Arena

OVR: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by ICE_790120q
I started a thread on this a few weeks back and there was another one opened later on.

I don't think the patches are having an effect on this, what I have seen that has an impact is if you have an x-factor player on your team that would cause the CPU to game plan around that.

I came to this conclusion because I play a 32 team CFM, so each week I play like 50 to 60% of the weekly games and I usually pick all teams through out the season.

I've set the game plan for the team I will be facing. So for example if I'm going to play the Dolphins vs. Patriots team and I will be controlling the Pats on that game, when setting up the Dolphins the coordinator will highlight that they are facing a top notch CB (Gilmore), if I agree with containing him and also then simulate the Dolphins training by selecting a run play instead of the suggested one (which is always pass plays). Once I start the game and control the Pats, the Dolphins play calling will be more geared towards running the ball.

If your team does not have an x-factor defensive team you can just adjust the training of your opponent with a run play, forcing the CPU to run a bit more of that type of play.

That's the only way I've been able to generate a bit more balanced pass/rush play calling from the CPU.
Interesting! Thanks for this info! I’m going to try this out! I will say you can also get the results you want though too by using the 2nd controller workaround and assigning proper cpu edited playbooks with plays ranked accordingly per situation between run and pass or whichever you do desire and want to see more of.
Old 09-24-2019, 07:59 PM   #4
Senior Circuit

KingV2k3's Arena

OVR: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by ICE_790120q

Inspired workaround, indeed!

Question:

If you start a CFM with SSA / X Factor disabled (Off), will the CPU call a more balanced game automatically or will they still gameplan as if it was enabled (On)?
Old 09-24-2019, 11:53 PM   #5
MVP

briz1046's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingV2k3
Inspired workaround, indeed!

Question:

If you start a CFM with SSA / X Factor disabled (Off), will the CPU call a more balanced game automatically or will they still gameplan as if it was enabled (On)?
In my slider etc testing CFM ( all SS X factors switched OFF ) I'm repeatedly playing through week 3 of the PS , a redskins @ Falcons game ( CPU vs. CPU) and the falcons generally have a pass : run
ratio of approximately 2:1 , despite having Julio who I think is an X Factor player

Not sure if this helps any
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-25-2019, 12:24 AM   #6
Hall Of Fame

ggsimmonds's Arena

OVR: 7

I’ve noticed a moderate improvement since the patch, but for the penalty sliders affects gameplay crowd I also raised holding to 52 at the same time.
Old 09-25-2019, 03:32 AM   #7
Rookie

Richie71's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by kzdwfy
I've seen an increase in rain calls by the CPU since the new patch 1.14. It now seems there's definitely a more balanced playcalling. Dallas, which would throw 20 times and run 8 times in the first half previously now with the patch was at 15 pass and 12 runs in the first half. I played against KC and Jacksonville and saw the same things from the CPU. I am certainly happy about this if this keeps working like it should consistently since I'm only a franchise offline guy.

I think so. I'm certainly seeing the AI run more.

Where they're still not getting it right though, is AI time management. Last night, I saw the AI passing, with a lead, where they could have run down the clock with run plays. I think that's time management though, rather than play balance. There is definitely something not right there - I see "coach call" suggestions for me to pass too, when in situations where I can run out the clock.
Old 09-25-2019, 10:56 AM   #8
Rookie

ICE_790120q's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richie71
I think so. I'm certainly seeing the AI run more.

Where they're still not getting it right though, is AI time management. Last night, I saw the AI passing, with a lead, where they could have run down the clock with run plays. I think that's time management though, rather than play balance. There is definitely something not right there - I see "coach call" suggestions for me to pass too, when in situations where I can run out the clock.
I agree with you and have seen the same. I've had the CPU leading by 2+ TDs and they would still be passing the ball on at least 3rd down with under 2mins to go. Drives me insane as it also tends to skew what would have otherwise been very realistic stats for a particular game.

My only "workaround" is for me to go chew clock on the last minutes if I truly know that the game is out of reach. I like to keep it real and would never go for cheese plays to get back in the game. I only wish the CPU would have better situational awareness, and honestly does not seem that that would be too difficult to develop.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »