Home

Low overall, star development

This is a discussion on Low overall, star development within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 11-01-2019, 11:44 PM   #1
Hall Of Fame

reyes the roof's Arena

OVR: 6
Low overall, star development

In my franchise I drafted a left tackle in the 6th round that was a 54 overall but he has a hidden development trait so I’m expecting at least a star. Has anyone had luck developing someone with such a low overall and if so did you sit him while he developed or put him on the field with his low overall? The one positive is that he is an offensive lineman so his XP shouldn’t rely on individual stats and I can develop him on the bench
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-01-2019, 11:49 PM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 0
Re: Low overall, star development

It don't think it's worth it unless he is superstar and you start him. Even still it will be like a decade till he is good

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk
Old 11-02-2019, 12:25 AM   #3
Dead!

CM Hooe's Arena

OVR: 45

Regardless of position, if a low-OVR high-dev player is younger than 22 years old (younger players require less XP to progress) and you focus train the player every single week of the upcoming season and you also do a drill which grants XP to that player's position group every single week in your upcoming season, that player has a chance without playing him in his rookie season. Scheme fit would be a good bonus as well, but it isn't nearly as important as dev trait or age. If he plays in the entire preseason and you can rack up stats (for OLs - team rushing and passing yards / touchdowns), that will also help.

If you do all this, a low OVR player can go up 10 or more OVR points in a single season. At that point, he would at least be playable as the worst member of a good offensive line entering next season (as so his bad AWR rating doesn't affect the automated ID The Mike logic).

As a point of reference: I have a hidden dev age 21 rookie QB on my team, and using the above process he's increased from OVR 54 to OVR 60 between the time I acquired him immediately after the draft (he was a rookie free agent) and now (regular season Week 6).

If you're not willing to invest heavily in developing this player specifically, then I wouldn't bother.

Last edited by CM Hooe; 11-02-2019 at 12:28 AM.
Old 11-02-2019, 02:31 AM   #4
Nothing to see here folks

oneamongthefence's Arena

OVR: 22

It depends. If he's terrible in all facets of his game it's usually not worth it. At least to me anyway.

Sent from my LM-Q720 using Tapatalk
Old 11-02-2019, 09:30 AM   #5
MVP

If he's an OL he better have high 80s to low 90s STR to go with that hidden dev or it won't matter. He'll get bullied by any good DL.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-02-2019, 10:08 AM   #6
Rookie

I drafted a MLB he was a star Dev but only 60....after 2 years he is a 74, I rotate him in a lot, and never really focus trained him

Sent from my moto z3 using Operation Sports mobile app
Old 11-02-2019, 11:32 AM   #7
Hall Of Fame

reyes the roof's Arena

OVR: 6

I just went back and checked and he’s 24 so he’s pretty much useless
Old 11-03-2019, 09:15 AM   #8
MVP

I wouldn't waste my time as it is relatively easy to find good offensive linemen all over the draft. As stinkubus says strength is the most important attribute for them. Just look for players with over 30 bench reps. Add some speed and acceleration to that and you have the foundation of a good offensive linemen. I look for 30 or more reps for tackles and over 30 with some speed for guards and centers since I like them to get to the second level and pull. It doesn't matter how high their overall is as an agile linemen if they are not fast enough they will not get to their block consistently on pulls.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »