Home

Two point conversions

This is a discussion on Two point conversions within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 11-15-2019, 08:03 PM   #1
Hall Of Fame

reyes the roof's Arena

OVR: 6
Two point conversions

Does anyone else refuse to go for two unless you think it will be your final possession? I know a lot refer to the chart if they should go for it and it’s helpful for the most part, but the chart doesn’t factor in your opponent possibly scoring Last night I’m playing the cpu and I’m down by 6 in the 3rd quarter when the cpu scores a TD to go up 12. They go for 2 which is way too early for my liking and I stop them so now they’re up by 12. I score a TD and take the PAT to make it a 5 point game. Late in the 4th quarter I force a fumble that I recover and my offense scores right as the two minute warning hits, to put me up by one. Because of the cpu failed attempt, it makes sense for me to go for two and I convert it to give me a 3 point lead. If they would have kicked the PAT earlier a field goal would beat me but now it will only tie. When does everyone like to start going for 2? I find that by waiting I end up putting myself in a better position to win a game about once per season in my franchise
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-15-2019, 09:06 PM   #2
MVP

OVR: 3
Re: Two point conversions

Well, each team has their own philosophy. I wonder how much the suggestion on the card gets vetoed depending on how the game is playing out. To your situation though something similar happened Sunday. Minnesota scored late in the 3rd, going up 26-21. A good kick and Dallas held to FG twice game would still be tied, but plenty of time for Dallas to score touchdowns. Instead, they went for 2, and made it, so now they held the 7 point lead.
Old 11-16-2019, 12:04 AM   #3
MVP

OVR: 0

I don't follow any charts, but the following two scenarios are a must for the 2 point try.

1.) If I'm already up 1 when I score the TD. Always take the chance to go up 2 possessions.

2.) If I score a TD when down by 14 at any point in the second half. If you covert then you can win in regulation with a stop and a TD. If you miss you need another score anyway, and if you get it you can try for 2 again.
Old 11-16-2019, 01:14 PM   #4
Hall Of Fame

reyes the roof's Arena

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by stinkubus
I don't follow any charts, but the following two scenarios are a must for the 2 point try.

1.) If I'm already up 1 when I score the TD. Always take the chance to go up 2 possessions.

2.) If I score a TD when down by 14 at any point in the second half. If you covert then you can win in regulation with a stop and a TD. If you miss you need another score anyway, and if you get it you can try for 2 again.
Makes sense, but scenario two is a little too aggressive for my “GET OFF MY LAWN!” Style of football
Old 11-16-2019, 05:46 PM   #5
MVP

PowerofRed25's Arena

OVR: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by stinkubus

Agree with #1 for sure. That is an automatic go for 2 situation for me and I've won a bunch of games online because of it. Possessions are so limited that you can make a two possession lead really hold up.

I know #2 is big in the real life analytics circles right now, but I can't really get behind it. It really depends on context though, if you're a good offense with a not very good defense, then shortening the game as much as you possibly can makes perfect sense to me. If you have a bad offense but good defense, I'd rather kick and take my chances even in OT.

I do think #2 makes a bit more sense in Madden compared to real life as well. Possessions are just so limited and depending on the quarter length, even if you tie to go to OT, there is a very real chance you might not get the ball back with any amount of time to score (if at all). That said, I still think I would probably wait until the second TD that way I could make the best decision based on the context rather than a hard guideline.

I'm pretty aggressive when it comes to two point conversions because I like to think I've got a menu of pretty good plays for the situation. Basically any time I can go from a 1, 5 or 7 point lead to 3, 7 or 9 point lead I'll go for 2 at essentially any time of the game and any time I can cut the deficit to limit the number of possessions I need to win the game. I end up in practice doing 2PT situational plays a lot.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-17-2019, 01:01 AM   #6
Rookie

I typically go for 2 when the score calls for it. Although i will go for 2 on rare occasions after opening drive TDs just for the momentum (even though I know it doesn't really matter)
Old 11-19-2019, 12:29 PM   #7
Rookie

Considering kicking is still broken in franchise for me I’d still go for 2 every time. Waste of 60 bucks

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
Old 11-19-2019, 03:43 PM   #8
Pro

I typically will not go for two until late 3rd or 4th quarter to make it a one score game.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »