Home

Official Madden NFL 20 Roster Update For Week 15 Available, See The Changes Here

This is a discussion on Official Madden NFL 20 Roster Update For Week 15 Available, See The Changes Here within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-19-2019, 04:27 PM   #17
MVP

tru11's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Official Madden NFL 20 Roster Update For Week 15 Available, See The Changes Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nza
They mean everything in Madden, I just don't fixate on them - I'm after outcomes (Henry outrunning DBs like in real life), not arbitrary numbers (I don't know if, say, 93 speed or 95 speed etc would achieve that outcome, so they don't mean anything to me in isolation).

I figured speed was the more relevant rating because he isn't that quick around traffic, and pulls away when running longer distances. If a guy is getting up there as the fastest players on the field in any given week on a semi regular basis, then I think he should be up there with the top flight speed guys when it comes to those long distance plays. He shouldn't hang with guys fast around the LOS or changing direction etc.
him pulling away has more to do with him being at full speed already while others are in the proces of shedding blocks/ turning around to give chase / being on the opposite of the play.

i mean hurst clocked a faster time then lamar on 1 of his td catches but no way he should be a 97 speed TE lol
Old 12-20-2019, 08:14 PM   #18
Nza
MVP

OVR: 16
Re: Official Madden NFL 20 Roster Update For Week 15 Available, See The Changes Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrettyT11
...It is not like he and say Ramsey are side by side and he is running past him.
But that's not really a common NFL scenario. Madden's ratings should reflect likely on field events and not contrived scenarios.
Old 12-20-2019, 08:17 PM   #19
Nza
MVP

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by tru11
i mean hurst clocked a faster time then lamar on 1 of his td catches but no way he should be a 97 speed TE lol
He clocked a speed faster than Lamar ever has? that wouldn't really surprise me as by the time a QB has opted to scramble, a lot of defenders are already well down field so a clear straight path is very unlikely.

The point of bringing up the timed speed thing is because Henry has done it a few times, not just as a one off.
Old 12-21-2019, 12:14 PM   #20
MVP

briz1046's Arena

OVR: 0

Opportunity and sample size issues mean that the recorded " next gen stats" type recorded speeds are practically useless as a means of determining the relative speeds of NFL players

Sprinters commonly dont reach maximum speed until around 40m into a race , thus a ball carrier would need a clear , unhindered more or less straight line run of this distance to reach top potential speed and consider himself in danger of being caught by the pursuers ( in order to be giving maximum effort ) at least until that point in his run .

Prior to this distance you are seeing a mixture of acceleration and speed rather than top speed

This type of scenario occurs so rarely to so few players on a weekly basis that comparing players using this data offers little benefit

In the relatively few instances these criteria are met , the ratings of all players involved needs to be disclosed , saying player A " pulls away" from player B is of no value unless the rating of player B is known , and the pursuer is himself at a point where he can be considered to be at or near top speed

That being said I'm not sure how accurate the speed/ acceleration arcs are portrayed in the game , this will be subject to sliders( speed threshold) and is further complicated by the presence of a specific pursuit ( closing speed ) rating that benefits pursuit (although I dont know if there is a threshold distance beyond which this does/ doesnt get applied)

The primary data source for the rating at present is combine / pro day 40 times , which while itself is flawed ( a one off event in track conditions and equipment often years in the past ) at least offers a more even playing field to compare the majority of players ,

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »