Home

Contract in franchise advice

This is a discussion on Contract in franchise advice within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-10-2020, 12:18 PM   #1
Rookie

mattm7x's Arena

OVR: 0
Contract in franchise advice

I am not sure what I was doing when I made this extension.. Anyhow, I signed Chris Carson to a really bad contract and he does not produce for me like my other back does. If i wanted to cut him or move him, what would be the best way and consequences of doing so? I am in a 32 man league, FWIW. In year 2021.

Contract:

6 Yrs- 5 remaining - Total 69.9m Bonus 46.5m Savings 2.99m Penalty 37.2M

2021:12.3m 2022 12.8m 2023 13.4m 2024 14.1m 2025 5.56m

I'm afraid the best answer is to just keep him, but I would love to hear ideas.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-10-2020, 12:21 PM   #2
Rookie

Re: Contract in franchise advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattm7x
I am not sure what I was doing when I made this extension.. Anyhow, I signed Chris Carson to a really bad contract and he does not produce for me like my other back does. If i wanted to cut him or move him, what would be the best way and consequences of doing so? I am in a 32 man league, FWIW. In year 2021.

Contract:

If you can't trade him, you got a high priced back for a few years

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk
Old 01-10-2020, 12:29 PM   #3
Rookie

mattm7x's Arena

Is the penalty from the trade a one year hit or is it spread over the life of the contract. Or at least the next 4 years?
Old 01-10-2020, 12:32 PM   #4
MVP

forme95's Arena

The penalty is on the signing bonus. Broke down each year left
If you trade him, the new team takes his salary. You are responsible for the bonus $$

Franchise SIM is dead. Find your favorite iterations and play it forever. Card games are whats "now" and games will cater in that direction and forget realism.

Just have fun and play :)
Old 01-10-2020, 12:36 PM   #5
Rookie

mattm7x's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by forme95
The penalty is on the signing bonus. Broke down each year left
If you trade him, the new team takes his salary. You are responsible for the bonus $$
So I'd have a around a 12m penalty each year?

Last edited by mattm7x; 01-10-2020 at 12:38 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-10-2020, 12:41 PM   #6
MVP

forme95's Arena

Quote:
So would it be the penalty over 5 years or would it be the bonus over 5 years? I am trying to figure out exactly what I would be saving if I were to trade him.
The penalty. Since you are a year into the contract, it would be $7.44M in 2021 and rest in 2022 I believe.

Franchise SIM is dead. Find your favorite iterations and play it forever. Card games are whats "now" and games will cater in that direction and forget realism.

Just have fun and play :)
Old 01-10-2020, 01:40 PM   #7
Rookie

Quote:

Contract:

Errrr…..so I know this isn't what you want to here, but I think you're pretty stuck.

It doesn't matter whether you cut or trade him - you're still on the hook for the signing bonus portion of the salary, and it will all come immediately in one chunk in the year immediately following that deal (as the game says....37.2m in 2022, if you move/cut him in 2021)

If you absolutely, desperately want to get rid - or if you've got tons of cap room this year and think it's better to absorb the hit now.....unlikely I suspect, if you're the 2021 Seahawks - then actually, I'd say it would be better to cut him, if your league is competitive. A trade would end up being an incredibly good deal for the team that signs him as they would only have to pay the salary portion - and there's no signing bonus, so no cap penalty for them to cut him. In other words, they'd get Carson for, what, 3-4m a season with complete freedom to cut him as soon as he regresses. He'd surely cost more than that in free agency?

But your better bet is probably to accept that he's unmovable right now, and keep him as an expensive backup for a couple of years until that cap penalty is more manageable.

As a rule - the more of a contract that you move into signing bonus, rather than salary, the more you're committing to keeping that player for the bulk of their contract.
The deal here is terrible not only because you signed Carson well into his decline years, but because you made two thirds of the contract bonus, and therefore made it almost impossible for yourself to get out from under that contract as well.
Old 01-10-2020, 01:53 PM   #8
Hall Of Fame

reyes the roof's Arena

OVR: 6

Sorry but you’re stuck with him. Even if you waited until year five to cut him you’ll still be creating more dead cap space than the amount you’d be saving

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »