Home

Playcall Cooldowns & Limits?

This is a discussion on Playcall Cooldowns & Limits? within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-31-2020, 09:30 PM   #1
MVP

4thQtrStre5S's Arena

OVR: 0
Playcall Cooldowns & Limits?

From the Dev Notes for the January Title Updates - "This feature will be introduced via House Rules. Madden Ultimate Team now has the ability to configure a playcall cooldown or limit. After selecting a play with cooldowns, that play will not be selectable again until X amount of plays have been run. With limits, a play will have a configured number of how many total times that play can be called for the rest of the game. Cooldowns and limits can be combined together. We’re excited to hear your feedback when this House Rule launches, likely the end of January/early February. "

https://www.ea.com/games/madden-nfl/...Localized=true

^^^^ Opinions on this mechanic? Is this something players would like to see in other modes?

I am concerned this is a way to band-aid the issue of meta plays. I don't feel this mechanic will create a better playing environment. I would prefer the AI was addressed, but I feel such additions indicate an inability to adjust the AI to an acceptable level. Still haven't seen the return on DL Stunts.

I understand such logic for Pattern Matching zones may be very difficult because there are many variations and assignments. I wonder, at least for coverage, if variations of current zones would assist in countering meta plays?

I would like zones that would also focus on stopping the run, without a huge negative versus the pass. Maybe the almighty Stretch play could be tamed with a more streamlined Zone and Man AI when an AI player reads run?

Maybe the logic for setting the edges could be improved?

Last edited by 4thQtrStre5S; 01-31-2020 at 09:34 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-31-2020, 09:39 PM   #2
MVP

4thQtrStre5S's Arena

Re: Playcall Cooldowns & Limits?

I can recognize the potential for some increased strategies. If some plays have a cooldown of 6 plays, for example. I would need to build a 7 play game plan and manage my play call rotation.

I imagine such a system could be marketed as play call scripting, which is done in the NFL. As a Packers fan I know Mike Holmgren loved to script the first few possessions of the game.

On the other hand - such a system reduces some freedoms in play styles. Though I understand with video game programming there will always be OP issues, and players will find them. In a game such as World of Warcraft there is a constant adjusting of skills to balance game play and reduce over powered rotations.

But will Madden, I also see a lot of issues with AI logic which I would hope can be fixed.
Old 02-01-2020, 08:30 PM   #3
MVP

TheGentlemanGhost's Arena

Just seems like a poor way to try and make up for never being able to actually implement adaptive AI when they were supposed to. They are going for gimmicks and arcade friendly features to fix issues more than ever now, and it scares the crap out of me.
Old 02-02-2020, 09:41 AM   #4
MVP

Just wanted to let folks know that the "cool down feature" has not affected offline CFM, with regards to custom playbooks and gameplan playcalling. This was a concern for me, being that title updates have previously resulted in unintended consequences, especially when trying to add a feature in this manner.
Old 02-02-2020, 11:52 AM   #5
MVP

underdog13's Arena

Sometimes being practical is a plus and I think this is one of those times. There are always going to be some plays each year that just work much better than others.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-02-2020, 03:02 PM   #6
MVP

Shosum13's Arena

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4thQtrStre5S
I can recognize the potential for some increased strategies. If some plays have a cooldown of 6 plays, for example. I would need to build a 7 play game plan and manage my play call rotation.

I imagine such a system could be marketed as play call scripting, which is done in the NFL. As a Packers fan I know Mike Holmgren loved to script the first few possessions of the game.

On the other hand - such a system reduces some freedoms in play styles. Though I understand with video game programming there will always be OP issues, and players will find them. In a game such as World of Warcraft there is a constant adjusting of skills to balance game play and reduce over powered rotations.

But will Madden, I also see a lot of issues with AI logic which I would hope can be fixed.
This post is a good look at the pros and cons. Personally I like the idea for online play now and MUT, it might actually get me to play those modes online more often. But I don't like the idea for CFMs, I think it takes away to much freedom in play styles. As long as you have a good base of owners that try and mix it up I don't see a need for the cooldown. In my 32 user league we don't have to many issues of plays getting abused. But I do see being able to limit how many times a specific play can be called in a game being useful to leagues that have hard limits in their rule books.

I'm all for having options in CFMs to run them how you want but to me this feels like a band-aid fix because they can't figure out how to further improve the a.i. to work towards getting rid of money plays. I feel like there's got to be better ways to incentivize mixing up play calling for users.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »