Home

Vision Cone

This is a discussion on Vision Cone within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-09-2020, 01:57 PM   #1
Banned

OVR: 0
Vision Cone

I was never a fan of this mechanic. It was implemented during an era I thought Madden was mostly crap, anyway, but it was interesting to give the feature a try. I think it is a really good way to simulate what the QB does, but it just didn't provide the kind of feeling I would have hoped it would provide.

That said, with Mahomes becoming the face of the NFL, his ability to use his eyes to move defnders around is a major part of his game. I mean, it's always been a part of any QB's arsenal, but we have seen a ton of really cool passes by Mahomes this year in which he really messes with the defense.

I feel like this is probably a good time to give that feature another try. I'm sure many will hate it, many will use it to start posting one of the great Madden ***** complaints, that "new" features are just them putting in things they cut out of the game before, as though trying to improve on something they didn't think worked as well as it needed to before is a bad thing.

I also feel like with the massive improvements in resolution, graphics, and console horsepower may make it easier to implement in a way more gamers will appreciate.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-09-2020, 02:17 PM   #2
MVP

Re: Vision Cone

Unless something drastic is done with the pass rush and QB wind ups you would almost never be able to get to your second read if you had to move the vision cone. I doubt there's too many people in the player pool who would be able to manipulate the cone themselves while scrambling.

It was an interesting concept but I don't see any way to implement it as a user mechanic that won't break some other aspect of the passing game.
Old 02-09-2020, 02:30 PM   #3
Hall Of Fame

reyes the roof's Arena

OVR: 6

I like the idea of something to make QB vision a factor, but I hated how it was executed. Granted I’m a Bears fan and had to use the vision cone with Rex Grossman so I didn’t have the most positive experience. What I didn’t like is that I need to read the defense and decide where I’m throwing, then I need to put my QBs vision cone on that WR but in real life that is all done simultaneously. I also didn’t like that a QB with high awareness had his vision cone cover over half the field so you’d never know if he’s staring a receiver down, you should be able to tell if anyone is staring down a WR. Ideally I’d have the cone appear on the primary target and change to the WR as soon as you select who you’re throwing to, but have a mechanism for the more advanced QBs to be able to look off the defense
Old 02-09-2020, 02:34 PM   #4
MVP

Perhaps the most overpowering advantage the user has in Madden is the ability to see the entire field at once. I heavily weight that factor when adjusting sliders, so I have very little time to get the ball out in order to even the playing field so to speak.

I like the idea of the vision cone, in that you could only throw where you are looking. However, I try to focus on what I think my keys are pre-play and then quickly post snap, in order to read the coverage. From there, I know where I want to go with the ball and I let it rip.

Having said all that, I think you make a great point about being able to move defenders with "your eyes". Other than pump faking, we really don't have a mechanic in the game that allows for us to do that. If EA could create a way for this to be in the game, I would be all for it.

Perhaps forcing the user, after making his pre-snap reads, to only be allowed to tap 2 or 3 receiver icons before the snap in order to make them "eligible", would be an option worth exploring. Another option could be forcing the user to select receiver icons in the order that he plans to go thru his progressions. Each icon would then light up one at a time. Best I can come up with.

Last edited by edgevoice; 02-09-2020 at 02:40 PM.
Old 02-09-2020, 03:15 PM   #5
MVP

You can double tap a receiver button to pump fake to them. There's even a QB ability for it. I've done it by accident tons of times this year when trying to user catch using the same button as the one I pressed to throw the ball.

Way too many dual use buttons in this game, imo.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-09-2020, 03:32 PM   #6
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by stinkubus
You can double tap a receiver button to pump fake to them. There's even a QB ability for it. I've done it by accident tons of times this year when trying to user catch using the same button as the one I pressed to throw the ball.

Way too many dual use buttons in this game, imo.
I only use the pump fake on out n up routes. Against certain coverages if timed right, it works fairly well. It has been tuned down as it was a bit overpowering. I never thought to try it to fake hold a defender and throw elsewhere. I'll have to practice that some to see if it works. Lol, yeah I am guilty of user catch double tap mistake as well....

Last edited by edgevoice; 02-09-2020 at 04:16 PM.
Old 02-09-2020, 03:32 PM   #7
MVP

TheGentlemanGhost's Arena

I’m kind of content with awr just being a rating for the cpu now. Awr is pretty much useless for all positions once user controlled. I couldn’t use the qb vision, I have my own QB vision and will make or miss receivers on my own error already lol, I didn’t need QB vision to make it harder. It was just one of those features that made something a bit more complicated than need be. You see an open receiver, you pass it, manually having to take that extra step to get to a receiver just wasn’t realistic.

The only other option I can think of is to have high QB awr give you a flashing WR icon above a receiver when you have the highest chance of completion or something. But like I said, awr doesn’t mean a whole lot for user controlled players, once you’re in control of the RB on a hand off, it’s all in your hands there too. As far as I know, cpu RBs hit the open holes better with higher awareness, but that’s all on us every run play.
Old 02-09-2020, 03:41 PM   #8
Rookie

Using the cone would be impossible but I do agree QB vision should be part of the game.

It should be based on reads. Each play should have 1st and 2nd reads built into the play and quarterbacks should accuracy bonuses for using each play the way it is designed. If you snap the ball and just throw to someone the play wasn't designed for there should be an accuracy penalty because realistically the QB shouldn't be looking in that direction. Then you could add superstar perks for QBs like Mahomes, Brees or Brady who have normal accuracy regardless of who they throw to. But the majority of quarterbacks should have to run the play the way it is designed.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »