Home

Operation Sports Asks: Do You Want an Option for Playcall Cooldowns and Limits in Every Madden Mode?

This is a discussion on Operation Sports Asks: Do You Want an Option for Playcall Cooldowns and Limits in Every Madden Mode? within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-22-2020, 09:49 AM   #25
Pro

OVR: 0
Re: Operation Sports Asks: Do You Want an Option for Playcall Cooldowns and Limits in

Quote:
Originally Posted by edgevoice
Madden 20 finally introduced vast improvements to gameplan playcalling, whereas users could select up to 30 plays per-situation and they would show up appropriately under both pass or run playcall windows. After a specific play is called, it already automatically disappears from the gameplan under that situation, until it comes up again and another play has already been selected.

I would not like to see any change ("cool down") that could possibly bug out this system for me personally. Ea did a bang up job with this feature. However, if they make it optional, I have no problem with it as I do believe it could have it's place in H2H mode, to negate the effectiveness of some players who do nothing but lab money plays that take advantage of the limitations of some of the defensive coverages from a programming perspective.
This. I would be fine with it as an option, but only if we can be reasonably sure it won't introduce errors into custom gameplans. Even a regression to the 19-and-earlier state (where we had to very carefully use some very tedious workarounds to get the star rating system to work even close to what was expected) would be unacceptable.

In Madden 20, I can build a full custom gameplan in a custom playbook (and have it work properly) in less than an hour. In previous versions, this was easily an 8 hour process, and the reliability after those 8 hours was sketchy.

I consider custom playbooks and gameplans to be a core feature of CFM. Any changes to CFM need to prioritize the correct functionality and usability of that feature first and foremost.

Last edited by tg88forHOF; 02-22-2020 at 09:55 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-22-2020, 07:35 PM   #26
MVP

booker21's Arena

OVR: 16
Re: Operation Sports Asks: Do You Want an Option for Playcall Cooldowns and Limits in

Quote:
Originally Posted by underdog13
As an option? sure.

Tbh I'd love the CPU to not be able to call four verts due to a cool down.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
Yes, i want that. And like he said there is nothing that stop us/them for doing this optional as most of things should be. Best of all worlds. You like it, you turn it on, you don't you leave it off. simple
Old 02-22-2020, 09:15 PM   #27
Just started!

As a commish for a 32 man league, 1000 times YES! We have those sim rules you mentioned and one is the number of times a play can be called in a game. This would be perfect for sim leagues like mine.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Old 02-23-2020, 09:35 AM   #28
MVP

Godgers12's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoosierbengal
Not for Franchise mode. Not that I use the same plays over and over but I want to be able to play my Franchise how I want to play it. The less limitations the better IMO when it comes to Franchise.
That's why it would be an OPTION. But this feature is a MUST for those of us who play online franchise.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Operation Sports mobile app

If walls could talk to spill the lies, we'd see the world through devils eyes
-M. Shadows
Old 02-23-2020, 09:54 AM   #29
MVP

Shosum13's Arena

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by rams6164
As a commish for a 32 man league, 1000 times YES! We have those sim rules you mentioned and one is the number of times a play can be called in a game. This would be perfect for sim leagues like mine.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
This part of the feature being able to limit the number of times I can see being useful for leagues like yours that have a hard cap on number of times a play can be called. I personally don't like either for franchises because as long as you have a good steady group of owners it shouldn't be much of a problem. But I think it has the potential to take away a big part of the strategy of playcalling. For example I love out of single back Ace setting up the dive with a few stretch runs. I'll run 2,3, sometimes 4 stretch runs out of that formation mixed in to my playcalling and then come out in the same formation and call a dive. Usually they'll be thinking about the stretch run and often times spread their line or linebacker and cheat the user to the outside opening a big gain up the middle.

I usually call most of my plays with the purpose of setting up something else out of the same look for a big gain. With the playcalling limits or cooldown periods it can take that strategy out if they know you're not a threat to run that play during the cooldown or you've used up the number of times you can call the set up play. I guess it just depends on how low you set the limit at. I still don't like the cooldown periods for franchise though.

I do like the feature for MUT and regular online h2h though, they may actually make those modes playable for me again knowing I don't have to face the same meta offensive and meta defensive playcalls all game.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
Old 02-23-2020, 01:36 PM   #30
MVP

OVR: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyo60
Chase to answer I would not. I coach middle school football as an offensive coordinator just for fun. Certainly not the downfield stuff Madden sees. However the whole playbook is open and within football reasons can be ran. I would not want a game to limit that.
We’ve been screaming for years for Coordinators to be in the game and have a tangible “differential” impact on the field during gameplay.

There’s a lot of framework for Coordinators already in the game, but gamers are going to have to give up some play calling control for the role of Off/Def Coord’s to matter.

The Users overall “God-view” (not just camera) over the entire game is the issue fracturing and impacting Maddens experience no matter what mechanisms are injected, and how well.

Every year since CFM, Devs have always spoke of greater “User Control” and the Madden User base is still craving for more control.
Each year the “AI” on-field wise, has had to relinquish aspects to facilitate greater User Control (ie God-view)...
- win-chance
- animation triggering

So for something as wanting as Off/Def Coord’s, asking the User to relinquish some control of Playbooks/Play Calls back towards the AI is a hard ask, and even greater, a hard to do probably for many Users.
Old 02-23-2020, 07:37 PM   #31
MVP

ForUntoOblivionSoar∞'s Arena

They could just make non-user controlled AI get significant awareness boosts if a user spams the same play. I don't know if that will fix the problem, but it could help.

As someone who is a football fan before a Madden fan, however, I don't do idiotic, unrealistic play-calling anyway, so it shouldn't affect me either way.
https://forums.operationsports.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2049813056

Last edited by your mom; 06-06-2006 at 6:06 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-23-2020, 07:39 PM   #32
MVP

ForUntoOblivionSoar∞'s Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by khaliib
We’ve been screaming for years for Coordinators to be in the game and have a tangible “differential” impact on the field during gameplay.

There’s a lot of framework for Coordinators already in the game, but gamers are going to have to give up some play calling control for the role of Off/Def Coord’s to matter.

The Users overall “God-view” (not just camera) over the entire game is the issue fracturing and impacting Maddens experience no matter what mechanisms are injected, and how well.

Every year since CFM, Devs have always spoke of greater “User Control” and the Madden User base is still craving for more control.
Each year the “AI” on-field wise, has had to relinquish aspects to facilitate greater User Control (ie God-view)...
- win-chance
- animation triggering

So for something as wanting as Off/Def Coord’s, asking the User to relinquish some control of Playbooks/Play Calls back towards the AI is a hard ask, and even greater, a hard to do probably for many Users.
What about head coaches who call their own plays?
https://forums.operationsports.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2049813056

Last edited by your mom; 06-06-2006 at 6:06 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »