Home

New to game and schemes

This is a discussion on New to game and schemes within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-14-2020, 10:42 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 2
New to game and schemes

My forum search is not working and I wanted to get this in before new game starts becoming all the noise. I just picked up a ps4 and madden 20 for the first time after years of being an NCAA 14 guru, sadly my ps3 has seen its end.

My question is how big does Scheme and matching the players "really" hold up? I know about the XP boost if players got the scheme with ther arch type as the #1 match. But other than that is there really a big difference in Franchise gameplay for playing players out of position in scheme? I at the current moment have 100% both offense and defense scheme fit for all my players.. but there are a few favorite players who dont meet scheme on FA. I know this is personal choice and probably not a big deal if I picked up say an elusive back when my team asks for Power "even though I prefer the bruisers". Just looking for some quick onsite or tips from guys who been long time madden fans as the last time I ever had a True madden franchise going was back on PS2
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-14-2020, 11:12 PM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 0
Re: New to game and schemes

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsr862
My forum search is not working and I wanted to get this in before new game starts becoming all the noise. I just picked up a ps4 and madden 20 for the first time after years of being an NCAA 14 guru, sadly my ps3 has seen its end.

My question is how big does Scheme and matching the players "really" hold up? I know about the XP boost if players got the scheme with ther arch type as the #1 match. But other than that is there really a big difference in Franchise gameplay for playing players out of position in scheme? I at the current moment have 100% both offense and defense scheme fit for all my players.. but there are a few favorite players who dont meet scheme on FA. I know this is personal choice and probably not a big deal if I picked up say an elusive back when my team asks for Power "even though I prefer the bruisers". Just looking for some quick onsite or tips from guys who been long time madden fans as the last time I ever had a True madden franchise going was back on PS2
Other than XP, nothing. I think in my mind playcalling changes but there is no proof. I personally feel like when you have the scheme, playbook and players on the same page things run better. Again there is no factual proof

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk
Old 06-15-2020, 11:35 AM   #3
TrueSim Projects-Creator

Cycloniac's Arena

OVR: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsr862

JoshC believes that schemes do affect player AI for both your team and the CPU:

Quote:
We all know that Madden 20 has offensive/defensive schemes and different player archetypes. Many people look at these as being purely cosmetic - a tool to assist more casual fans with team building. Many look at them purely as a means to maximize XP gains. Whether intentional or not, I believe the system runs deeper than that.

Here's the Qualifier - the following is based on my personal observations using default All Pro. I'm not stating any of this as "the gospel" but rather offering some thoughts for folks to ponder. People who adjusted gameplay sliders or play on other difficulties may have these impacts muted....so, YMMV.

It has been my observation that the team schemes alter some player tendencies. CBs playing in a zone scheme will tend to play off of the receiver and give a more zonal look (even during a M2M play) but will go after the ball more. In a Man scheme, they will play the receiver more closely. Slot scheme corners seem to be a bit more focused on reading the run and breaking up passes by hitting the receivers. Runningbacks, power scheme RBs tend to run to contact more, elusive guys do not. D-line - scheme seems to greatly influence how they play and the types of moves they predominantly use (i.e. PMV vs FMV). Pass protector-heavy OL (e.g. in Air Raid) suck at run blocking. I don't have a laundry list of every position but you get the idea. In theory, changing a scheme may have some effect on how players play and which skills they are predominantly using.

If the scheme IS altering the types and/or frequencies of moves/animations that players are using, that's going to trickle-down into a tangible impact. If your 250lb speed rusher RE with 85 FMV/65 PMV is using more power moves because of the scheme....you're going to have an issue - and you SHOULD (ask Rex Ryan what happens when you try to force guys into a scheme).

What does this mean? It means to choose your scheme wisely. It means to build your roster wisely with your schemes in mind. It means to accept the weaknesses of the approach you have chosen. It means to call plays that complement that scheme.
If you're having issues with certain aspects of the game, instead of looking for slider-based solutions, look at your team. Do your issues make sense based on the scheme you are running (i.e. being weak vs the pass when using a run-stopping scheme)? Do the player archetypes match the scheme well? Are your play-calls (and playbook) appropriate for the scheme? Are there ways to re-deploy your personnel in certain formations/situations (e.g. using better pass coverage LBs in nickel/dime formations)?

Old 06-15-2020, 12:46 PM   #4
Rookie

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cycloniac
JoshC believes that schemes do affect player AI for both your team and the CPU:
That is interesting. I always felt all this was true but never was able to prove it. And even told I was bugging!

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk
Old 06-15-2020, 01:45 PM   #5
All Star

JoshC1977's Arena

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by infinite76
That is interesting. I always felt all this was true but never was able to prove it. And even told I was bugging!
I can't "prove" it either and I wish there was a clear-cut, definitive means of doing so. Oh, and Cycloniac, thanks for digging that up....I actually forgot I had that in my thread.

To the OP:

You don't HAVE to marry yourself 100% to the scheme, but you have to ask yourself if what you want to do makes sense. You have to dig deeper into individual player ratings. You CAN run a zone scheme with a power back provided that either a) your O-line is decent in power block ratings or b) your RB has solid accel/agi ratings to complement his power skills.

This is the aspect of the game that gets overlooked a lot. You CAN get quite creative with schemes/playbooks/archetypes. Imagine Kingsbury's air raid-oriented playbook while running a vertical power scheme. If you have the right personnel, you can bludgeon opponents inside and then stretch them out horizontally with jet sweeps and touch passes. Once you suck them inside the numbers, you can hit them deep with your speedy receivers. For the majority of passes in that offense, you don't need great pass protection..so the air raid scheme itself doesn't really help (and it SUCKS on the ground because of the pass protection o-linemen).

Here is my number 1 suggestion. Start with a plan. Know exactly what it is you want to accomplish and HOW you want to accomplish it. Don't just 'paint by numbers' and max out percentages because that's what the game says to do - but really embrace the roleplay and design things in the image you want to adopt.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-15-2020, 02:51 PM   #6
Rookie

OVR: 2

Thanks everyone for the kind words. Such a big change from ncaa to madden now. Only reason I went 100% scheme this time is I relocated the Browns with salary cap off and unloaded all players so basically playing with draft picks and FA signings. So i just went with scheme or least young players who after 1 or two upgrades would fit my scheme.

I been struggling horribly adjusting just how the game plays. NCAA I can play Heisman and put big numbers on CPU/Players alike... here all pro and I'm doing absolutely nothing I had to bump down to pro level, which frustrates me considering it's a football game which I shouldn't be this bad at. But I have seen success with having players it scheme in 2 pre season games then before. I'm still having the normal difficulty of getting used to when to hit buttons or when a receiver breaks routes as they do much differently from NCAA... but I havent been getting embarrassed by the computer like I have. I do run a very old school power run playbook with lot of fullback and a power scheme and I'm finally getting the hang of it and seeing results with my backs as last week I could get nothing.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »