Home

EA Sports & Their UI Design Choices

This is a discussion on EA Sports & Their UI Design Choices within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-20-2020, 08:28 PM   #9
Rookie

OVR: 0
Re: EA Sports & Their UI Design Choices

It's not a younger group. It's the more casual crowd. Simulation isn't in demand because how many people know rules and teams like that. Most people know their team or the successful team. People just want to be Golden State or the Chiefs. They want to throw bombs and dunk the ball. MUT alllows for super teams. The Park allows you to make cheesed up players that you can compete against other cheesed up players. There is also a social aspect of it like someone said.

Younger players fit into the demographic. Look how popular NBA Jams was or NFL Blitz, there is more of a draw for them NCAA basketball 2k which was probably the best basketball game ever ( the one with Greg Odom on the cover). If simulation was money then they would have took NFL head coach and meshed it with Madden and fixed all the bugs to make the greatest football video game experience ever.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk
Old 08-20-2020, 08:36 PM   #10
MVP

It's a real shame because I actually like a lot of what they were going for UI-wise!

The general path they took this year regarding the purple and teal color scheme, new fonts, white text on dark backgrounds, etc. actually looks great so far. This is especially apparent within Franchise menus, on the main score bar, and the out-of-town ticker. Definitly better than the whole "paint" theme they had last year, IMO.

But the blatant steps backward in broadcast presentation can't be denied. It's frustrating that a game named after a broadcaster (yes, I know he was a legendary coach as well) has never been able to get presentation quite right or even take consistent, linear steps forward in that regard.
MLS: San Jose Earthquakes
EPL: Brentford FC

RIP San Francisco Deltas | 2017 NASL Champions
Old 08-21-2020, 04:19 AM   #11
H*F Cl*ss *f '09

Kanobi's Arena

OVR: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneamongthefence
Many of us whether we we like it or not has outgrown madden. 0r rather we aren't the target audience anymore. Unless we really enjoy MUT or any monetized game mode.

#fixmaddenfranchise
Hard to accept that we're the old farts now.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-21-2020, 05:22 AM   #12
MVP

cthurt's Arena

OVR: 3

The constant moves selection bar that stays over the d-lines head when they are selected is literally immersion killing for me, its an eye soar and the fact that we can't turn it off for whatever reason is baffling.

It is literally EA saying hey look at this new feature thats in the game guys force feeding it to us I don't need a comic book style pop up showing what move I attempted to do in my so called simulation style gameplay/broadcast. Its.comical that Madden was chosen to be the only simulation football game on the market and they chose to go with a more arcade style of presentation.
Old 08-21-2020, 07:29 AM   #13
Pro

Sparkles's Arena

OVR: 6

I’m a designer myself, and one of the reasons I’m not getting 21 is the UI direction.

- the NCAA 14 intros bugged me to death then and they bug me to death now. Idk why they thought that was a good idea to implement. I don’t want to see action shots of a game that hasn’t even been played yet. And in my head I’m always like “it’s ok, they just grabbed game footage from an older matchup lol”
- transition wipes look silly and immature. More aligned with arcade and mobile
- why couldn’t they have arcade and broadcast UI packages
- Madden 17 or 18 touted about “what you see on sundays” what happened to that momentum??? They veer away from it, then they’ll revisit that same mantra in the next couple of years and call it a new feature
- I do like the score bug more than 20’s. I hated the paint accents in 20 and 21’s looks more like MNF or something. But the transition wipes really kill that immersion for me

All in all, as many have said, it’s not professional. It’s taking what NHL 20 did to the extreme and totally neglecting the broadcast feel. I love the simulation art direction because that gives me way more wow factor. “Omg that looks just like sundays” was always the reaction I hoped to have when playing Madden. Madden 12 was the last one that accomplished that for me. Tailgating scenes, run outs, stats overlays, fan cutscenes, etc. It truly nailed that immersion. Wtf happened to that???
NHL New Jersey Devils
EPL Manchester United
NCAA FB Pittsburgh Panthers
NCAA BB Pittsburgh Panthers

Last edited by Sparkles; 08-21-2020 at 07:32 AM.
Old 08-21-2020, 08:29 AM   #14
MVP

PhillyPhanatic14's Arena

I think they did an excellent job this year. The UI is clean, responsive, and fresh. It's the best it's been in Madden and it looks better than any sports game i've seen.
Old 08-21-2020, 10:30 AM   #15
Pro

Sparkles's Arena

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyPhanatic14
I think they did an excellent job this year. The UI is clean, responsive, and fresh. It's the best it's been in Madden and it looks better than any sports game i've seen.
I’m surprised to see that’s your opinion philly. I’ve only been able to watch gameplay videos but for a franchise guy like you, I would’ve thought you’d think the exact opposite
NHL New Jersey Devils
EPL Manchester United
NCAA FB Pittsburgh Panthers
NCAA BB Pittsburgh Panthers
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-21-2020, 12:42 PM   #16
Rookie

Yeah like everyone's said it's pretty disappointing to see them take an arcade type direction, this is one of strong spots in fifa, just watch an actual game and replicate it, and you could even have multiple options for the presentation styles like in mlb in the show, baffling that madden continues to get the easy things wrong.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »