Home

Thanks to Tiburon dev Clint Oldenburg, #NFLdropEA is trending on Twitter

This is a discussion on Thanks to Tiburon dev Clint Oldenburg, #NFLdropEA is trending on Twitter within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-30-2020, 11:36 PM   #65
#BringBackFaceuary

ChaseB's Arena

OVR: 40
Re: Thanks to Tiburon dev Clint Oldenburg, #NFLdropEA is trending on Twitter

Quote:
Originally Posted by chargerrich
Here are a few things that I simply do not understand:

1. Would it not be in the best interest of the company, product and bottom line to understand that a - NOT INSIGNIFICANT - portion of your player base have at least minimal expectations for franchise improvements and try to throw them a bone or two every year?

2. 2K has shown that you can create a fantastic franchise mode and still go after the whales via heavy loot/card monetization. They separate offline and online so they can cash in on the competitive scene and yet still provide a robust offline SIM. Why wouldn't EA understand this with the blueprint being so clear?

I do not think it would have even taken much to keep the franchise guys mostly happy. Tweaks to draft AI, more control of offline editing, show historical stat tracking (cannot believe I have to even mention this), maybe a new logo or two for team relocation, some equipment additions each year? I felt in Madden 12 that they were on the right path and yet look how bad we have regressed.

In fact, I am pretty certain that if EA put out a next game that simply was ON PAR with the Madden 05-07 "golden age" most of us would be - generally - happy.

I just cannot tell if it boils down to an overall lack of passion/skill/vision or a heavy "personal bias" of the devs towards MUT/Arcade as their preferred style.
NBA 2K20 also had a solid 1.2 user score last year on Metacritic.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-30-2020, 11:40 PM   #66
Rookie

Maverick04's Arena

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaseB
Basically just like my previous post, 2k has gotten worse and lazy as they’ve had no competition, they’ve thrived on online modes and micro transactions, much like EA. That’s what non story driven games have become.
Old 08-30-2020, 11:44 PM   #67
You know why I'm here...

jWILL253's Arena

OVR: 25

I think what gets me the most is... a year or so ago, during the Star Wars Battlefront 2 lootbox controversy, EA made a comment about players feeling a sense of "pride & accomplishment" when spending a long time grinding for Darth Vader. My question is, where's the pride & accomplishment for the people working on this game?

To put it all in perspective here, M21 isn't just reviewing as your typical yearly installment of the same ol' mediocre Madden; Madden 21 is on course to be considered one of the worst games of 2020, period. For both critical AND user reviews. Think about that. When was the last time Madden was that bad? For everyone at EA... doesn't that affect you at all? Not everyone at the company is high enough on the totem pole to just wipe their crocodile tears away with dollar bills once they get voted in as the Worst Company in America again. For the creative leads, directors, etc... doesn't it bother you that your name is attached to such a poorly-received product? Where is your "pride & accomplishment"?

I know when I work on something - whether it be something I'm being paid for, or just something I'm passionate about, personally - I take it seriously when someone is critical of my efforts. Even if I'm not the one making the money from said efforts, I at least want people to know that I take my **** seriously. With Clint's response, even if he's just another guy at the office with no real say in the creative direction of Madden, how can anyone tell that he takes it seriously? How is anyone gonna take him at his word going forward when he says he cares, when that tweet paints him as someone who clearly doesn't care?

Quote:

That has more to do with the predatory monetization in recent 2K entries than it does with anything gameplay or feature-related.

That's actually what kinda kills me with the focus on the quick buck from EA, 2K, etc. All money ain't good money. With that said, more & more the future of microtransactions & gambling mechanics looks rocky at best, with more and more legal crackdowns over the horizon at home & abroad. Once that bubble bursts, then what?

Last edited by jWILL253; 08-30-2020 at 11:48 PM.
Old 08-30-2020, 11:46 PM   #68
#BringBackFaceuary

ChaseB's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick04
Basically just like my previous post, 2k has gotten worse and lazy as they’ve had no competition, they’ve thrived on online modes and micro transactions, much like EA. That’s what non story driven games have become.
Again, that's fine, don't mind if peeps have that opinion, my point was that I just struggle to believe the folks who say "look 2K is threading that needle" when there's, ya know, the 1.2 Metacritic scores out there and 2K is already dealing with negativity for 2K21 before it even comes out.
Old 08-30-2020, 11:48 PM   #69
Rookie

Maverick04's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by jWILL253
I think what gets me the most is... a year or so ago, during the Star Wars Battlefront 2 lootbox controversy, EA made a comment about players feeling a sense of "pride & accomplishment" when spending a long time grinding for Darth Vader. My question is, where's the pride & accomplishment for the people working on this game?

To put it all in perspective here, M21 isn't just reviewing as your typical yearly installment of the same ol' mediocre Madden; Madden 21 is on course to be considered one of the worst games of 2020, period. For both critical AND user reviews. Think about that. When was the last time Madden was that bad? For everyone at EA... doesn't that affect you at all? Not everyone at the company is high enough on the totem pole to just wipe their crocodile tears away with dollar bills once they get voted in as the Worst Company in America again. For the creative leads, directors, etc... doesn't it bother you that your name is attached to such a poorly-received product? Where is your "pride & accomplishment"?

I know when I work on something - whether it be something I'm being paid for, or just something I'm passionate about, personally - I take it seriously when someone is critical of my efforts. Even if I'm not the one making the money from said efforts, I at least want people to know that I take my **** seriously. With Clint's response, even if he's just another guy at the office with no real say in the creative direction of Madden, how can anyone tell that he takes it seriously? How is anyone gonna take him at his word going forward when he says he cares, when that tweet paints him as someone who clearly doesn't care?
This is rubbed me the wrong way with Clint’s post. I’m more of a college guy, never really been a pro guy, even tho I’ve bought every madden. However, the 2 is better than 1 comment just rubbed me the wrong way. You have people posting pictures about glitched interactions, disappearing field lines/ players and that’s your response? Idk I guess I just would have never put a guy with no video game experience that was a career back up OL at the forefront of my gameplay team but maybe that’s just me.

Last edited by Maverick04; 08-30-2020 at 11:52 PM.
Old 08-30-2020, 11:50 PM   #70
MVP

scitychamps87's Arena

OVR: 3

Like everyone else here, I want a better game. I want a deeper franchise mode. I want more immersive presentation, storylines, and scenarios. I want an RFA system, a coaching carousel, and full coaching staffs. I want the same equipment customization from the Yard to port over to franchise mode in some ways.

But, I also am having A LOT of fun with Madden 21. To me, the gameplay is smoother than it's ever been. Yeah, it's frustrating and wonky sometimes. But, I can say the same exact thing about NHL or NBA 2k. Guess what? Kicking is hard again. Penalties are back. Throwing out of a sack is realistic. The pass rush is really fun as are the new ball carrier moves.

I'll keep pushing for improvement, but I'll also keep enjoying the game I've been playing since I've been 6 years old.

Sent from my XT1650 using Operation Sports mobile app
--5 Time Stanley Cup Champions--
Old 08-30-2020, 11:51 PM   #71
Rookie

Maverick04's Arena

Quote:
Again, that's fine, don't mind if peeps have that opinion, my point was that I just struggle to believe the folks who say "look 2K is threading that needle" when there's, ya know, the 1.2 Metacritic scores out there and 2K is already dealing with negativity for 2K21 before it even comes out.
I’m definitely not defending 2k, they have started to go down hill since the end of the NBA live days, but my point still remains, sports games with no competition living on online modes and micro transactions are why these events like these hashtags are even taking place. To any of these companies, take some pride in your product
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-30-2020, 11:57 PM   #72
#BringBackFaceuary

ChaseB's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by jWILL253

I'm not really going to condemn a dude based on some tweets. People deal with criticism in a wide variety of ways, it was just a bad reading of the room and a bad PR move. It's something he's goofed up before, but Twitter isn't exactly real life, and pretending there's only one way to personally deal with criticism is disingenuous. Like, don't we all have that friend who deflects or makes a joke in awkward situations when maybe it's not the best thing to do?

As for the other point, I don't really think you can expect various developers at EA to come out and be like "sorry we sucked, and our bad the game is bad" -- there's just no universe where that's ever been a thing.

Beyond that, Madden won't be one of the worst reviewed games of the year by critical standards at this rate, just in the bottom tier. Until it has a red with its score it's not one of the worst of the year. As a side note, a bunch of sports/racing games will be rolling with that mid-60s score this year, which would be more to my general point that maybe sports games just shouldn't be developed on a yearly basis like this anymore.

Regardless, I do understand your general point, I just don't really think what you're asking for is entirely reasonable either in terms of the response you'd want right now.

Last edited by ChaseB; 08-31-2020 at 12:00 AM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »