Home

Game Informer - EA Sports Opens Up About The Challenges Of Developing During COVID

This is a discussion on Game Informer - EA Sports Opens Up About The Challenges Of Developing During COVID within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare
Closed Thread

Old 09-08-2020, 10:19 PM   #81
Lord of Suffering

Darth Aegis's Arena

OVR: 5
Re: Game Informer - EA Sports Opens Up About The Challenges Of Developing During COVI

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForUntoOblivionSoar∞
Well the other option I though of was “experienced internet troll/flame warrior,” but that seemed like an insult.

Anyway, I’m assuming there would be no difficulty in us both agreeing to remove the sand from our respective (expletive delete) and move on.
So now I'm an experienced internet troll/flamed warrior? What else you got? I'm not even going to your level.

Playing:

Last edited by Darth Aegis; 09-08-2020 at 11:36 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-08-2020, 10:34 PM   #82

kehlis's Arena

OVR: 41
Re: Game Informer - EA Sports Opens Up About The Challenges Of Developing During COVI

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForUntoOblivionSoar∞
Well the other option I though of was “experienced internet troll/flame warrior,” but that seemed like an insult.
It is an insult and isn't necessary. I'm not even sure what argument you're trying to make with him since he pretty much has agreed with you on almost every point.

Can we move on?
Old 09-09-2020, 09:51 AM   #83
Hall Of Fame

ggsimmonds's Arena

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucky60
With remote access and conference tools available. Easily can lean on others through both voice and workstation remote access.
Its a lot easier to swing around in your chair and ask your neighbor for help. Or in an office setting you let out a "damn it" or something and someone is likely to respond what's wrong. A person may be more hesitant to ask for help over skype cause they are more likely to feel like a burden or a bother.

Quote:
Then they aren't busy enough. I doubt that's a problem with Madden.
Dude...no. You don't suffer mental burnout because you aren't busy enough. Quarantine does take its toll on mental health. Most things closed down, people were spending way too much time in their house and it had a detrimental effect.

Quote:
Again, brainstorming is easy with the easily affordable remote access/voice conference tools available.
Its easy to try to do, but you can't tell me that the effectiveness is the same. The nature of a back and forth in person vs over skype or teams is quite different. This is an inescapable fact of working remote.

Quote:
I just don't buy it.
Doesn't really matter if you buy it or not, it happened on my team and other teams in my company so I wouldn't be surprised if other teams had similar experiences.
Old 09-09-2020, 11:32 AM   #84
Pro

Devaster's Arena

OVR: 0

I have been working remotely from home since March. I have actually found it more comfortable and productive than working on site. Some things are more difficult to do over Skype/Teams meetings, but it hasn't really impacted my team much at all. Back and forth are easy to do remotely by just ringing someone instead of messaging them. There are apps out there now so that you can use a whiteboard remotely as well to explain what you are talking about visually.

The most difficult part is for those with kids, especially young kids, and both parents working full-time. I can understand the struggles of those parents.

I'm going to actually request to work from home in the future multiple days a week. There is really no reason to go into the office besides some social interactions with your team and coworkers, at least for the work I am doing. Saves time and money not commuting to work and getting ready for work. Both for the company and yourself. The company can save money downsizing the amount of space they need for offices for workers as well.
Old 09-09-2020, 12:12 PM   #85
Hall Of Fame

ggsimmonds's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devaster
I have been working remotely from home since March. I have actually found it more comfortable and productive than working on site. Some things are more difficult to do over Skype/Teams meetings, but it hasn't really impacted my team much at all. Back and forth are easy to do remotely by just ringing someone instead of messaging them. There are apps out there now so that you can use a whiteboard remotely as well to explain what you are talking about visually.

The most difficult part is for those with kids, especially young kids, and both parents working full-time. I can understand the struggles of those parents.

I'm going to actually request to work from home in the future multiple days a week. There is really no reason to go into the office besides some social interactions with your team and coworkers, at least for the work I am doing. Saves time and money not commuting to work and getting ready for work. Both for the company and yourself. The company can save money downsizing the amount of space they need for offices for workers as well.
For one on one calls I agree, but for meetings with the entire team it raises some issues. I work for an outsourcing company. We handle development and QA for their software. In our meetings ever since going to working remotely I've noticed that the meetings are dominated by the same 3-4 people doing the bulk of the talking. Some people have an added challenge of when to speak over skype, like talking over someone or cutting them off is a concern for them. When you talk in person its a lot easier to know when someone has completed their thought. So rather than risk appearing rude they just remain silent.

An individual's mileage may vary. But also when we have our company stand up the vast majority of people are dead silent. Getting some people to engage in virtual meetings is a challenge
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-09-2020, 12:28 PM   #86
Run After Catch

OVR: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggsimmonds

An individual's mileage may vary.
That's been my experience. I don't have an opinion as relates to the quality of this year's game, but I've seen everything from people who like it better this way to some who are struggling.

I had a tough time in the beginning because the work in this industry is so collaborative and I valued being able to sit in an area where I can talk to a bunch of people. Doing better after months of this (and have even found some things I do like better about it), but I have no doubt it's affecting some folks as they work on projects.
Old 09-09-2020, 01:24 PM   #87
Pro

Devaster's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggsimmonds
For one on one calls I agree, but for meetings with the entire team it raises some issues. I work for an outsourcing company. We handle development and QA for their software. In our meetings ever since going to working remotely I've noticed that the meetings are dominated by the same 3-4 people doing the bulk of the talking. Some people have an added challenge of when to speak over skype, like talking over someone or cutting them off is a concern for them. When you talk in person its a lot easier to know when someone has completed their thought. So rather than risk appearing rude they just remain silent.

An individual's mileage may vary. But also when we have our company stand up the vast majority of people are dead silent. Getting some people to engage in virtual meetings is a challenge

That all still happens in person. It takes the meeting lead or a manager to shut those folks up. Otherwise they will continue to talk long-winded and over others as that is in their nature. Being remote and over a virtual meeting hasn't changed any of that. As I have had members of my team do that in person and remotely.

Teams have been a useful app in that you can raise your hand and the meeting organizer can see that and allow for questions. Can also mute people when needed.
Old 09-09-2020, 01:48 PM   #88
Hall Of Fame

ggsimmonds's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devaster
That all still happens in person. It takes the meeting lead or a manager to shut those folks up. Otherwise they will continue to talk long-winded and over others as that is in their nature. Being remote and over a virtual meeting hasn't changed any of that. As I have had members of my team do that in person and remotely.

Teams have been a useful app in that you can raise your hand and the meeting organizer can see that and allow for questions. Can also mute people when needed.
https://www.gameinformer.com/2020/07...me-development

"Nearly half of the developers surveyed feel working from home has lowered their productivity. When it comes to the biggest challenges facing developers during this new work-from-home era, the respondents specifically call out poor communication, isolation, stress management, and lack of access to necessary tools."
Closed Thread

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »