Home

Question on offensive lineman and their archetype

This is a discussion on Question on offensive lineman and their archetype within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-16-2020, 09:18 AM   #9
Rookie

OVR: 0
Re: Question on offensive lineman and their archetype

With OL, PBK, RBF, RBP, do nothing, make sure for RBK, PBP, PBF are good.
Strength means a little as does weight up to 350, and your C should have high awareness.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Operation Sports mobile app
Old 10-16-2020, 11:38 AM   #10
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 33

Regarding which types of runs draw on which set of ratings (power vs. finesse), Madden interprets Power ratings as relevant to powers, counters, traps, iso runs, and tosses. Agile ratings apply to inside and outside zone plays.

You can check this during the early weeks of the pre-season, when you get an opportunity for a veteran OL to mentor a younger one. If you choose run blocking as the focal point, you'll see a choice between RBP and RBF, along with a definition of exactly which play types each affects.

Whatever bearing these distinctions have on reality is its own topic, but Madden does define the various run types and their relation to archetypes.

I hope this helps! I only know this because I have to choose how to help Kolton Miller live up to his draft billing, lol, whenever I start a Raiders franchise.
Old 10-16-2020, 01:01 PM   #11
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogueNautilus
Regarding which types of runs draw on which set of ratings (power vs. finesse), Madden interprets Power ratings as relevant to powers, counters, traps, iso runs, and tosses. Agile ratings apply to inside and outside zone plays.

You can check this during the early weeks of the pre-season, when you get an opportunity for a veteran OL to mentor a younger one. If you choose run blocking as the focal point, you'll see a choice between RBP and RBF, along with a definition of exactly which play types each affects.

Whatever bearing these distinctions have on reality is its own topic, but Madden does define the various run types and their relation to archetypes.
Awesome...I was hoping somebody'd be able to answer that. Yeah, what they are in the real world doesn't matter a ton....what Madden thinks they are is what we care about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KChape25
With OL, PBK, RBF, RBP, do nothing, make sure for RBK, PBP, PBF are good.
I've seen the discussions saying that....but most of them were from the pre-PC era (well, the latest one, anyway).

I've also seen more recent discussions from post-M19, where PC guys have been able to dig into the files, that say otherwise. Both groups had labs backing up what they thought.

So it's probably worth caring about PBK, RPF, RBP just in case.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-16-2020, 06:06 PM   #12
MVP

Jagsfan24's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogueNautilus

I hope this helps! I only know this because I have to choose how to help Kolton Miller live up to his draft billing, lol, whenever I start a Raiders franchise.
That is what i thought, agile is better for if you like zone run plays and being most rbs in this game are elusive then you would upgrade the agile archetype so you can call zone run plays...just sucks when like i said most lineman (especially the guards) have low agile ratings
Old 10-16-2020, 07:11 PM   #13
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagsfan24
That is what i thought, agile is better for if you like zone run plays and being most rbs in this game are elusive then you would upgrade the agile archetype so you can call zone run plays...just sucks when like i said most lineman (especially the guards) have low agile ratings
It's true that certain archetypes seem more common than others in the draft classes and in the stock roster. I wish there were better balance and more variety, TBH, but it is what it is.

Regarding whether it's better to go agile or power for lineman, it's clear that zone runs comprise the majority of most teams' offensive playbooks. Most teams have 30-40 inside zone runs, several outside zone runs, and maybe half the number of power/counter/toss plays.

Given that, it seems prudent to build around zone and run power w/ guys leading who also have some gap blocking ability.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »