Home

How many players in franchise mode actually play important reps?

This is a discussion on How many players in franchise mode actually play important reps? within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
How SDS Can Improve the 'Full Minors' Feature for MLB The Show 21
Top 10 Shootout Players to Fear in NHL 21
Skatebird Preview - Updated Hands-On With New Rooftop Level
Poll: What's more important to you, when the time comes to purchase a game? (Click to vote)
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 01-14-2021, 05:28 AM   #1
Rookie
 
SouthernWarrior's Arena
 
OVR: 0
Join Date: Apr 2020
How many players in franchise mode actually play important reps?

I do franchise mode by simulating every game, and Im beginning to think I draft too many of the same position players and some of them never see the field in regular season games.

tell me where I'm off. I play a 4-3 defense and a vertical power run offense (BUF offensive playbook, SF defensive playbook if that helps or not at all).

Excluding obvious positions like QB, FB, Punter etc..
---

HB: 2 (Is there any way to change % of reps each player gets? Typically my main RB gets 80% of carries, and RB2 gets 15-20% but hogs up the TD's even though I have my #1 RB as the specialist for 3DRB and Power back).. will sometimes end up with RB 1 around 1,000 yards and 6 TD's and RB 2 at 300 yards and 12+ TD"s despite the specialist not being any different..

WR: .. 2 WR's mainly? The 3rd WR barely gets any stats ever and in general gets close to about 100-150 yards a season.

I find the slot WR ends up getting better stats than the #2 WR even if I have them on the depth chart at #4.

TE: 2 (One TE gets about 80% of stats, other TE gets 15% of it or so and hogs up the TD's)

Oline: All 1... potentially only needing 1-2 Oline backups and no more.

LE: 1
RE: 1
Back up DE's: I find only end up with at most maybe 3 sacks all season.
DT's: 2.. same deal with backup DT's. the only one who ends up getting any stats is the 3rd DT and even that's minimal.

Rush LE/RE: Don't see any significant change in placing anyone in this spot unless its a total backup in which case their stats increase by maybe 25-30%.

Rush DT: Putting my #1 DT OR a backup DT for whatever reason seems to REALLY increase their stats like the Slot WR. No idea why.

Same with OLB and MLB besides MLB2 who gets fairly starter worthy stats.

CB: .... 2? Like WR, I find only my first 2 CB's get any worthwhile stats, while CB3 barely touched the field (which doesn't seem accurate to real life).

Slot CB: Tends to get the most tackles and on some occasions outperforms CB2 stats wise.

FS: 1
SS: 2 (I find the 2nd SS gets really good stats which is surprising considering all the other backups get maybe 15% or so of the stats, compared to the backup SS who tends to get closer to 40% of the stats compared to the starting SS at 60%)

Sub LB: If it's a safety like the slot WR I feel their stats are really overinflated.

--
So where am I off? Or need explaining on basic football fundamentals?

--
Thank you in advance for the help: Also wondering if there is a place where I can manipulate which position player gets more reps? Is that substitutions/fatigue or is that unimportant when simming?

Sorry if this is complicated or I didn't explain it clearly.
__________________
Home of the MANIC METS Franchise.

Chaotic trades, crazy games, big bold moves. We play to win.
SouthernWarrior is offline  
Reply With Quote
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-14-2021, 09:35 AM   #2
Rookie
 
OVR: 0
Join Date: Jun 2008
Re: How many players in franchise mode actually play important reps?

If I remember correctly, years ago in Madden 05 or 06 or somewhere around then, there would be sliders for percentages on how often you would like to run/pass, and things like that. I believe HB1/HB2 carries may have been one of those sliders. They came in very handy, say for instance your star HB was injured a couple of weeks, you can up the slider to 90% pass until he returned. Sadly, like many other features, this was removed.
I run a similar system as you and have also noticed the same results in positions over the years. At the end of each season, I like to take a look at the downs played in the stats section, and this has made me aware of the positions I feel see enough of the field to be important. I used to spend a lot of time to micromanage the complete roster but now I just make sure I have a halfway decent guy in these backup positions: QB2 (basically only in case of injury), HB2, HB3 (only to complement HB2- if HB2 is a power back, my HB3 must be a scat back), WR3, TE2, LT2 (pass protector), any one agile backup OL, one balanced end (left or right), DT3, one balanced LB, CB3, CB4, CB5 (I believe depth is very important here), one balanced S (free or strong). I also like to have a main kick returner that is NOT a starter or backup, to be WR4 and a punt returner to be HB4.
So basically, 2QBs, 4HBs, 1FB, 4WR, 2TE, 7OL (including 2LT), 3DE, 3DT, 4LB, 5CB, 3S, 1K, 1P= 40 main players. I like to always maintain a 53 man roster so I'll just rotate drafting the other 13 positions in lower rounds, never resigning them when their contracts expire, unless I hit on a gem.
Madden09operationFan is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 06:11 PM   #3
Rookie
 
SouthernWarrior's Arena
 
OVR: 0
Join Date: Apr 2020
Re: How many players in franchise mode actually play important reps?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madden09operationFan
If I remember correctly, years ago in Madden 05 or 06 or somewhere around then, there would be sliders for percentages on how often you would like to run/pass, and things like that. I believe HB1/HB2 carries may have been one of those sliders. They came in very handy, say for instance your star HB was injured a couple of weeks, you can up the slider to 90% pass until he returned. Sadly, like many other features, this was removed.
I run a similar system as you and have also noticed the same results in positions over the years. At the end of each season, I like to take a look at the downs played in the stats section, and this has made me aware of the positions I feel see enough of the field to be important. I used to spend a lot of time to micromanage the complete roster but now I just make sure I have a halfway decent guy in these backup positions: QB2 (basically only in case of injury), HB2, HB3 (only to complement HB2- if HB2 is a power back, my HB3 must be a scat back), WR3, TE2, LT2 (pass protector), any one agile backup OL, one balanced end (left or right), DT3, one balanced LB, CB3, CB4, CB5 (I believe depth is very important here), one balanced S (free or strong). I also like to have a main kick returner that is NOT a starter or backup, to be WR4 and a punt returner to be HB4.
So basically, 2QBs, 4HBs, 1FB, 4WR, 2TE, 7OL (including 2LT), 3DE, 3DT, 4LB, 5CB, 3S, 1K, 1P= 40 main players. I like to always maintain a 53 man roster so I'll just rotate drafting the other 13 positions in lower rounds, never resigning them when their contracts expire, unless I hit on a gem.

interesting, so only two backup Olien (LT and OL)..
and even in a 4-3 only one backup DE and DT? That's surprising but will consider it.

Also in a 4-3 you're only mainly aiming for one backup LB who covers all 3 LB spots?

Been having major defensive issues in sims once I hit the playoffs, so it could be the reason is my CB depth is bad. I seem to have two stud CB's and one backup CB in the 75+ range, but minimum FA's after that. Will try getting 2 more backup DB's.

Is there any way in scouting to figure out how to get a good KR PR specialist?
__________________
Home of the MANIC METS Franchise.

Chaotic trades, crazy games, big bold moves. We play to win.
SouthernWarrior is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 09:37 PM   #4
Rookie
 
OVR: 0
Join Date: Jun 2008
Re: How many players in franchise mode actually play important reps?

I would only have one important backup OL if not for my scheme needing a pass protecting LT and the rest of the line agile (I only keep 8 OL total). I like to draft fast pass rushing and coverage linebackers and slide one as the backup DE, so I feel safe there at linebacker. That backup safety is very important, he always seems to get a lot of playing time.
I wish there were a way to scout for kick returning. I just keep on drafting WRs in later rounds who had a great combine (ignoring height, strength and jump) and keep rotating them at WR4 and WR5 until I hit on one with a great KR and then utilize him until he wants too much money Lol.
I used to try to get the deepest competitive team until I started getting into cap troubles and not being able to resign starters, all because I resigned backups who were too good and, like you, I noticed did not see the field enough to justify paying them.
Madden09operationFan is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 10:07 PM   #5
Rookie
 
OVR: 0
Join Date: Jun 2008
Re: How many players in franchise mode actually play important reps?

For what it's worth, I once drafted a MLB in the 7th round (70ov) and converted him to be my LE1 (69ov) and also as my Rush RE. In his rookie season, he recorded 10 sacks and won defensive rookie of the year. His next season also registered 10.5 sacks. For some lame reason (I guess wanted to see how LOLB Lorenzo Carter would do as the Rush RE), I then removed him as the Rush RE and he only recorded 2.5 sacks. This is now the final year of his contract but I just drafted another MLB who is a 75ov and moved this new guy to be the LE1/RRE. I'm debating whether I should resign the original guy (now a 75ov). He may want some good money and that would go against all my rules but would be purely sentimental! (I even started watching Liberty games this fall because that's where he went to college Lol!)
Madden09operationFan is offline  
Reply With Quote
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-15-2021, 12:09 AM   #6
Rookie
 
SouthernWarrior's Arena
 
OVR: 0
Join Date: Apr 2020
Re: How many players in franchise mode actually play important reps?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madden09operationFan
I would only have one important backup OL if not for my scheme needing a pass protecting LT and the rest of the line agile (I only keep 8 OL total). I like to draft fast pass rushing and coverage linebackers and slide one as the backup DE, so I feel safe there at linebacker. That backup safety is very important, he always seems to get a lot of playing time.
I wish there were a way to scout for kick returning. I just keep on drafting WRs in later rounds who had a great combine (ignoring height, strength and jump) and keep rotating them at WR4 and WR5 until I hit on one with a great KR and then utilize him until he wants too much money Lol.
I used to try to get the deepest competitive team until I started getting into cap troubles and not being able to resign starters, all because I resigned backups who were too good and, like you, I noticed did not see the field enough to justify paying them.

think I use a power scheme that includes LT and RT as pass protect, what is your offensive and defensive scheme? and playbooks?

and yeah, I've noticed at LB and DT and DE and WR I have guys who are solid players not playing any snaps at all. Usually starts to become an issue in year 7-8 or so
__________________
Home of the MANIC METS Franchise.

Chaotic trades, crazy games, big bold moves. We play to win.
SouthernWarrior is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2021, 05:41 AM   #7
Rookie
 
OVR: 0
Join Date: Aug 2016
Re: How many players in franchise mode actually play important reps?

The main reason for unrealistic roster needs is the lack of injuries. Very rare guys are out because of injuries with standard settings, so you basically never use your full roster.


If you want the realistic feel (but a much higher challenge too!!), increase injury sliders to the level where you get at least 10-15 guys on your roster on IR, then using backups and forming a competitive deep roster really matters.



So if you like the challenge, I'd propose to try that. Otherwise 35-40 guys and some fillers for 53 rosters are more than enough
ParaAut is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2021, 08:48 AM   #8
Hall Of Fame
 
OVR: 33
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 10,137
Re: How many players in franchise mode actually play important reps?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaAut
The main reason for unrealistic roster needs is the lack of injuries. Very rare guys are out because of injuries with standard settings, so you basically never use your full roster.


If you want the realistic feel (but a much higher challenge too!!), increase injury sliders to the level where you get at least 10-15 guys on your roster on IR, then using backups and forming a competitive deep roster really matters.



So if you like the challenge, I'd propose to try that. Otherwise 35-40 guys and some fillers for 53 rosters are more than enough
Do you have specific INJ settings in mind here? Would love to know your thoughts on the best settings to provide a real incentive for CPU and HUM teams to draw on their depth.
RogueNautilus is offline  
Reply With Quote
Reply


« Previous Thread | Next Thread »

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:09 AM.

Top -