Home

EA says FIFA mode with loot boxes is the ‘cornerstone’ of the franchise in leaked doc

This is a discussion on EA says FIFA mode with loot boxes is the ‘cornerstone’ of the franchise in leaked doc within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-30-2021, 11:57 AM   #49
MVP

Madden08PCgmr's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: EA says FIFA mode with loot boxes is the ‘cornerstone’ of the franchise in leaked

Quote:
Originally Posted by illwill10
I don't think Franchise modes are logical to be monetize. It's easier to monetize online modes or career mode. With Franchise modes, what are you monetizing. You are monetizing just making the mode easier and taking all of the non-gameplay aspects off your plate. It's a different thing for offline career modes because they make the grind exhausting. But for Franchise modes, the grind is the most essential part of the mode. 2k doesn't monetize MyNBA, I believe. They just give you the option to automate most of the off the court responsibilities.
I'll preface this by saying I probably have over-ambitious ideals;

Huge picture,

What if they re-created past seasons? Past decades (prob not possible due to the legalities).. but what if that was a true option? Even if it was generic no-name teams like the old days.

Custom Leagues
Custom Team creator
Legit custom jersey templates
Legit custom stadium creator

What if a (real) GM mode was a legit pay add-on
What if (beefy) Coach mode was a legit pay add-on

A one-size-fits all game isn't working. This is a one size fits NONE the way it is running. I think they need to break the peices off and let them fall where they may.
Old 04-30-2021, 12:05 PM   #50
All Star

Gosens6's Arena

OVR: 26
Re: EA says FIFA mode with loot boxes is the ‘cornerstone’ of the franchise in leaked

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madden08PCgmr
Can't win with either product.

MLBtS may not have a deep franchise.. but they NAIL core game play elements. Madden has never done that.

Ever.

Agreed. Despite MLB having the most lackluster franchise mode of all the sports games, I play it the most of every game outside of NBA 2K because the on the field product is just oh so good

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
Old 04-30-2021, 12:27 PM   #51
Orange and Blue!

Broncos86's Arena

OVR: 31

The frustration for many isn't due to EA saying MUT is the cornerstone. I don't think anyone here is so shortsighted as to think we represent the majority of the playerbase. I give all of you the benefit of the doubt here on that. Nobody is going to look at EA and say "how dare you try to make money." Business is business. We all get that.

The frustration is that over the course... 6 releases? Or more? Franchise has been largely ignored. How much work really goes into loot boxes and making cards? It's easy. I get that designing franchise mode content probably takes more effort. But the playerbase isn't asking for Madden to be 100% focused on franchise mode.

We just want EA to throw us a bone here and recognize that they are completely ignoring one of the oldest and most loyal of fanbases. The franchise sim playerbase is filled with guys like me who were playing Madden on our Genesis / SNES as kids.

If they would've addressed franchise every other year with some significant improvements, I don't think anyone would really be this upset. I mean, we're gamers, we'll ALWAYS be upset about something. But not to this degree. Not when it goes viral on twitter.

What I hope is that the larger playerbase learned a lesson: continuing to buy the game mindlessly without complaint will yield poor results.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-30-2021, 12:40 PM   #52
Hall Of Fame

illwill10's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gosens6
Agreed. Despite MLB having the most lackluster franchise mode of all the sports games, I play it the most of every game outside of NBA 2K because the on the field product is just oh so good

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
I wish I was more into Baseball, because I would faithfully buy it. I enjoyed it on the PS3 days, but I'm not that big of Baseball fan to buy it. That, the presentation is good. Definitely the best sports gameplay, but that's easier to say because it's a noncontact sport.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madden08PCgmr
I'll preface this by saying I probably have over-ambitious ideals;

Huge picture,

What if they re-created past seasons? Past decades (prob not possible due to the legalities).. but what if that was a true option? Even if it was generic no-name teams like the old days.

Custom Leagues
Custom Team creator
Legit custom jersey templates
Legit custom stadium creator

What if a (real) GM mode was a legit pay add-on
What if (beefy) Coach mode was a legit pay add-on

A one-size-fits all game isn't working. This is a one size fits NONE the way it is running. I think they need to break the peices off and let them fall where they may.
I don't think that would be the best idea from the standpoint of it being add-ons. Would be too much uproar to make people pay more for something that should be included. I thought maybe you go the Head Coach route again and make a seperate game where you have a GM/HC mode as the main aspect of the game. But, as much as we would want it, I don't see it selling well honestly.
Old 04-30-2021, 02:21 PM   #53
Rookie

Balldude777's Arena

What disturbed me the most from seeing everything, is when they said they will try to "drive players to MUT FROM other modes" which to me means to also make sure that these other modes aren't better than MUT. Hence why we never saw upgrades there.
Old 04-30-2021, 03:30 PM   #54
Orange and Blue!

Broncos86's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balldude777
What disturbed me the most from seeing everything, is when they said they will try to "drive players to MUT FROM other modes" which to me means to also make sure that these other modes aren't better than MUT. Hence why we never saw upgrades there.
I don't think that is what was being said. I don't think EA is trying to take away players from other modes. The language is just saying EA wants to allow other modes to feed into MUT. You can play MUT and franchise together and it's all good. I really see that being the point. Example: actions you do in franchise mode offers benefits in MUT.

It isn't some cackling, evil plot to kill franchise mode. They're looking for ways to bring new players into MUT from those other modes. I don't see a problem with this in and of itself. There's nothing inherently wrong with one mode in a game giving players a path into another mode. It's when one mode is neglected, such as franchise mode has been.
Old 04-30-2021, 04:31 PM   #55
All Star

SmashMan's Arena

OVR: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broncos86
I don't think that is what was being said. I don't think EA is trying to take away players from other modes. The language is just saying EA wants to allow other modes to feed into MUT. You can play MUT and franchise together and it's all good. I really see that being the point. Example: actions you do in franchise mode offers benefits in MUT.

It isn't some cackling, evil plot to kill franchise mode. They're looking for ways to bring new players into MUT from those other modes. I don't see a problem with this in and of itself. There's nothing inherently wrong with one mode in a game giving players a path into another mode. It's when one mode is neglected, such as franchise mode has been.
I think this is right. He just misquoted the document.

Content teasers + targeted Aruba messaging will drive excitement & funnel players towards FUT from other modes.

In the full quote, it sounds like they're referring to how they use things like the loading screens and main menu tiles to promote UT content.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-30-2021, 05:54 PM   #56
Rookie

Balldude777's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmashMan
I think this is right. He just misquoted the document.

Content teasers + targeted Aruba messaging will drive excitement & funnel players towards FUT from other modes.

In the full quote, it sounds like they're referring to how they use things like the loading screens and main menu tiles to promote UT content.
Even with that full quote, the emphasis is MUT is where we want every player to be. Will we see Franchise ads in MUT? I don’t think so.

My point is, no this is not and has not been an evil plot. This has been a business plan and I understand that, the point of the company is to make money. I'm just pointing out that if their focus is to draw others to the mode, they won't waste their resources on franchise. The ONLY reason we are going to get what us sim guys want is because of the #fixfranchise movement. If it wasn't for that I guarantee you franchise would be the same again.

Last edited by Balldude777; 04-30-2021 at 06:02 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »