Home

Team Building and Playbooks - Giants Offense

This is a discussion on Team Building and Playbooks - Giants Offense within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-21-2021, 07:14 PM   #9
Rookie

OVR: 0
Re: Team Building and Playbooks - Giants Offense

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burn_It_Down
I have a playbook that i created, I think you can use. I’m a scheme fanatic(nerd). I created a wide zone scheme playbook where you can maximize Jones mobility as well as Saquans ability. Wide zone base, with PA bootleg to give you half field reads, or qb keep ability with Jones

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
That actually sounds pretty interesting. Is it on Madden Share? I use PS5. I'll probably try build my own all the same, but would be keen to take yours for a test drive. Did you set up the gameplan, audibles etc? It feels like a real rabbit hole
Old 09-21-2021, 08:51 PM   #10
Rookie

Are u on ps4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burn_It_Down
I have a playbook that i created, I think you can use. I’m a scheme fanatic(nerd). I created a wide zone scheme playbook where you can maximize Jones mobility as well as Saquans ability. Wide zone base, with PA bootleg to give you half field reads, or qb keep ability with Jones

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
Sent from my SM-G975U using Operation Sports mobile app
Old 09-21-2021, 09:48 PM   #11
Rookie

Thought I would share the link to the Sheet I use for analysing the players. Figured it could be useful if other people want to do similar.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing

Before I dig into some results, I wanted to share how things ended up looking with the Linebackers. The Giants are a 3-4 team, and I have a preference towards running the Disguise 3-4 scheme. The Giants playbook is nice, and I'll be running it, as it is.

DE: Power Rushers
DT: Nose Tackle
LLB: Speed Rusher
MLB: Pass Coverage
RLB: Power Rusher
CB: Man (I actually play more Zone, but try and use players who can do both)
FS / SS: Hybrid

Screen Shot 2021-09-22 at 9.10.48 am.jpg

The Linebackers were probably the most challenging area of the roster to work out.

By Default it looked like

Left (Power): Carter, Brown, Roche
Middle (pass cov): Martinez, Ragland, Crowder, Coughlin, Brunson, Hilliard
Right (Speed): Ximines, Ojulari, Elerson Smith

+ I have 8 roster spots, and 2 practice squad spots
+ it's glaringly obvious that the MLB's can't really cover passes

RLB Darron Lee was added to the squad, and moved to MLB. He has enough speed to move laterally, great hit power, and reasonable coverage skills. TJ Brunson and Hilliard don't show up on the sheet, as they lacked any real ability, and weren't really young enough the time on the PS would improve them sufficiently.

The most surprising move was Lorenzo Carter to MLB. At 255lbs he's a big body, but possesses great speed and good agility. He is a strong tackler, and whilst being far from elite, he is actually our best coverage Linebacker. He does have nice finesse moves, but he isn't elite in that area. He lines up next to Blake Martinez, a renowned tackling machine, with some coverage ability. Tae Crowder won't play much, but isn't the worst 4th choice MLB, and can help on special teams.

With MLB being full, everyone else was assessed for the outside roles. Ximines and Ojulari instantly stood out as the top two. Carter Coughlin and Reggie Ragland ended up moving to the backup OLB roles. Both of these guys are terrible players in coverage, but actually flash the best Power Moves in the team. Ragland is also a heavy hitter, with 88 Hit Power.

Cam Brown and Quincy Roche revert to the practice squad. Brown is capable in most areas, but doesn't really excel at anything. Roche is 66 for both Power and Finesse, but lacks Hit Power and Tackling. We will spend the year working on his Power Rushing, and he may become a useable option next year.

But how did we actually do?

Week 2: NY Giants 7 @ Washington 17

QB: Jones 21/32, 1 TD 3 INT, 234 yards (QB Rating: 58.5)
HB: Barkley 20/58
TE: Engram 8/87, I TD
WR: Golladay 4/62

Sacks: Williams, Ojulari
INT: Lorenzo Carter

The score looks bad, as do the 3 picks for Jones, but there were positives. One pick was basically an arm punt on halftime, and another was in the last minute when we were looking for a miracle. The short passing game generally worked well, whilst we defended well. The highlight was probably an INT for our converted MLB Lorenzo Carter - the first of his career.

Week 3: Atlanta Falcons 17 @ NY Giants 28

QB: Jones 17/23, 3 TD, 253 yards (QB Rating: 149.0)
HB: Barkley 18/77, TD
WR: Shephard 5/129, 2 TD, Slayton 3/49, TD
Sacks: Ojulari (2), Ximines, Williams
INT: Josh Jackson

Scoreline flatters the Falcons, who scored late against our backups, who played the 4th quarter. Jones was on fire, playing with poise behind a composed O Line. Barkley found 4-5 yards pretty much every first down, and everything flowed from that.

Week 4: NY Giants 34@ New Orleans Saints 35

QB: Jones 23/32, 2 TD, 2 INT, 281 yards (QB Rating: 93.3)
HB: Barkley 26/116, 2 TD + 6/54 receiving
TE: Engram: 8/112, TD, Rudolph TD
WR: Shephard 3/55
Sacks: Aaron Robinson, Martinez (2), Holmes, Love, Ragland

Heartbreaking loss, and we probably should have won this one from 34-21 up. At that point, we threw a Pick Six out of a sack, and then Winston scrambled for a TD with 15 seconds left from about 12 yards out. Annoyingly I seemed to get locked on a defender, and everyone just watched him waltz in. The second pick was a Hail Mary. They also launched a first half bomb under pressure which bounced off a couple sets of hands to Adam Trautmann who jogged in.

So what now?

We're 1-3, but it feels like we're better than that. We play the Cowboys next, and i've modified the playbook to include some option plays for Jones. He's scrambled okay, but adding a designed QB run element will be a nice wrinkle to the playbook.

A big positive has been the Offensive Line, which has only given up one sack.

I will keep posting if this is of interest. I have a couple of roster moves I'm thinking of making, and I might do something that focusses on that aspect.

Last edited by davidmcain; 09-21-2021 at 09:50 PM. Reason: formatting
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-21-2021, 10:38 PM   #12
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 33

Amazing stuff man.

How many formations & total plays do you use for your base offense in a given week?

If I can get over the jumbling, this might be the way to go.

I also love some of the moves you made at LB. Moving Cater to MLB and Ragland to OLB were really smart moves.
Old 09-21-2021, 11:14 PM   #13
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogueHominid
Amazing stuff man.

How many formations & total plays do you use for your base offense in a given week?

If I can get over the jumbling, this might be the way to go.

I also love some of the moves you made at LB. Moving Cater to MLB and Ragland to OLB were really smart moves.
Thanks man!

I play 9 minute quarters so it ends up being around 120 plays per game, so 55-60 offensive plays for me. You can get away with running each run 3-4 time a game, and passing plays I try not to use more than twice. So I'm probably running 35-40 unique plays each game.

I think one way to go playbook wise would be to keep it minimal in size. So maybe 100-150 plays, and a few redzone plays. That's going to give you enough variety to not be too predictable, and it won't feel too clunky when selecting plays.

Carter turned out to be a great move, I didn't honestly know how it would go, but then he gets a pick in his first game there. He actually went from like a 74 to a 68, but his skills are fine to play there, so he plays. Ragland is probably lucky I moved him. High chance I would have cut him if he stayed! Can't see him making the team next season though.
Old 09-22-2021, 05:23 AM   #14
Hall Of Fame

David, do you have a link to a list of where each formation puts certain personnel?

I know I've seen such a thing before but can't remember where. I'm drumming up an outline and want to be sure I know which gun sets, for example, move WR1 inside, etc.
Old 09-22-2021, 05:26 AM   #15
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogueHominid
David, do you have a link to a list of where each formation puts certain personnel?

I know I've seen such a thing before but can't remember where. I'm drumming up an outline and want to be sure I know which gun sets, for example, move WR1 inside, etc.
https://www.madden-school.com/playbook-finder/

This is probably your best bet. Every formation in the game. Great reference for building your own book
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-22-2021, 05:56 AM   #16
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidmcain
https://www.madden-school.com/playbook-finder/

This is probably your best bet. Every formation in the game. Great reference for building your own book
Thank you, sir!

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »