Home

Madden NFL 23 Gameplay Improvements Revealed - Pass Coverage, Pass Rush, QB Contain & Much More

This is a discussion on Madden NFL 23 Gameplay Improvements Revealed - Pass Coverage, Pass Rush, QB Contain & Much More within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-03-2022, 01:16 AM   #33
Hall Of Fame

ggsimmonds's Arena

OVR: 7
Re: Madden NFL 23 Gameplay Improvements Revealed - Pass Coverage, Pass Rush, QB Conta

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfsolo
It's probably more like a 5 to 1 or more ratio, IMO.
I don't think that is the case, and I feel fairly strongly about that. Its the nature of casual gamers that many of them carry on blissfully unaware of how much they don't know.

Its a popular sentiment that over complexity can scare off gamers but I think the case is overstated. In fact the opposite is often true -- a deep feature set can attract new gamers and create new fans. I've never watched an F1 race in my life. I have zero interest in it. But since it has the most immersive career mode of any racing game I plan on purchasing it. Thats not rare
Old 06-03-2022, 05:26 AM   #34
MVP

OVR: 4
Re: Madden NFL 23 Gameplay Improvements Revealed - Pass Coverage, Pass Rush, QB Conta

My only question is are somewhat realistic penalties returning to Franchise? If not, I'll be doing something else with my time. I can't play NFL football with no/very few penalties.
Old 06-03-2022, 05:53 AM   #35
Rookie

OVR: 0
It all sounds like the build up to: We didn't add much to franchise mode in order to focus on new buzz phrases to put on the back of the games box in bold letters. "FieldSense" sounds like a lot of ordered extra pizza and chinese food and many hurt relationships occurred. Many arguments and missed family time went into the team finally coming up with the next big gameplay element to put on the box: FIELDSENSE! 360 Cuts!! What is a 360 cut?? A 360 cut means you are running in circles!! That sounds Oxymoronic in nature. They really ran around in circles and talk about all these physics terms but guess what people? They've added 3500 new animations. So by shear logic, the physics are not physics. They're animation based!!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-03-2022, 05:56 AM   #36
MVP

OVR: 19

Hit Everything should result in more penalties, right?

late hits, hits to the head, more roughing the passer, hitting players out of bounds, pass interference?

Does anyone notice this in the beta?
Old 06-03-2022, 07:19 AM   #37
MVP

SolidSquid's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by tril
Hit Everything should result in more penalties, right?

late hits, hits to the head, more roughing the passer, hitting players out of bounds, pass interference?

Does anyone notice this in the beta?
There’s no chance it’s in, things like that don’t happen in real life football…..
Old 06-03-2022, 09:14 AM   #38
MVP

OVR: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSquid
There’s no chance it’s in, things like that don’t happen in real life football…..
sarcasm....lol!!!!
Old 06-03-2022, 09:31 AM   #39
Orange and Blue!

Broncos86's Arena

OVR: 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggsimmonds
I don't think that is the case, and I feel fairly strongly about that. Its the nature of casual gamers that many of them carry on blissfully unaware of how much they don't know.

Its a popular sentiment that over complexity can scare off gamers but I think the case is overstated. In fact the opposite is often true -- a deep feature set can attract new gamers and create new fans. I've never watched an F1 race in my life. I have zero interest in it. But since it has the most immersive career mode of any racing game I plan on purchasing it. Thats not rare
Well, I wouldn't say casual gamers aren't paying attention. It reminds me a of a conversation I had with a fellow Madden gamer who is my age (42) one day. We were just talking about things and Madden happened to come up, to which he mentioned he plays but gets frustrated because "Joey Bosa just keeps blowing my line up." I mentioned how he could assign a double team on his line. When he heard this, his response was: "Yeah, that's too much for me."

This is an example that I see from casual gamers across other games as well. I spent a fair amount of time as a coach in a clan for Starcraft 2. A lot of low ranked players who weren't super serious got easily frustrated with what they perceived as an incredibly large barrier with everything that's going on. A lot just quit because it was easier to go learn League of Legends or DOTA 2 at the time.

It's also why EA added the NHL94 controls to the NHL series, which allows my kids to play the game and have fun. The Skill Stick and even Hybrid are too complicated for them, but they LOVE NHL 94 Rewind.

The question is never "this is too hard to learn." That's never the case. Starcraft 2 is not too hard to learn. The question becomes time and commitment. If you're a casual gamer who is only going to play the game here and there, and you're going to be taking significant breaks playing, then learning all the different controls, concepts, and tactics can feel overwhelming. Especially if you take a break and come back, then realize you don't remember 1/2 the stuff you learned and you need to learn it again.

With that said, the approach should not be what does Madden sacrifice in complexity for ease of access. In that regard, you are correct: you're just muddying the water at this point and nobody is happy. The approach should be: how do we add functionality to the game that allows casual players an easier entry? Perhaps that's a playbook that makes playcalling easier, or it's a mode of play where the AI will assign double teams and adjustments for the casual gamer (and make it transparent so the player understands what is happening). It's important to make it transparent so gamers can make that leap and decide to start calling out those double teams themselves.

In the end, it's about how to bridge the gap between the highly dedicated, hardcore fanbase and the casual player fanbase. EA should never treat either side with a lack of concern or respect. The hardcore fanbase is what gives free beta testing and feedback, helps drive hype, and creates a community. The casual fanbase will be the larger percentage of sales.

Last edited by Broncos86; 06-03-2022 at 09:33 AM.
Old 06-03-2022, 06:08 PM   #40
Hall Of Fame

ggsimmonds's Arena

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broncos86
Well, I wouldn't say casual gamers aren't paying attention. It reminds me a of a conversation I had with a fellow Madden gamer who is my age (42) one day. We were just talking about things and Madden happened to come up, to which he mentioned he plays but gets frustrated because "Joey Bosa just keeps blowing my line up." I mentioned how he could assign a double team on his line. When he heard this, his response was: "Yeah, that's too much for me."

This is an example that I see from casual gamers across other games as well. I spent a fair amount of time as a coach in a clan for Starcraft 2. A lot of low ranked players who weren't super serious got easily frustrated with what they perceived as an incredibly large barrier with everything that's going on. A lot just quit because it was easier to go learn League of Legends or DOTA 2 at the time.

It's also why EA added the NHL94 controls to the NHL series, which allows my kids to play the game and have fun. The Skill Stick and even Hybrid are too complicated for them, but they LOVE NHL 94 Rewind.

The question is never "this is too hard to learn." That's never the case. Starcraft 2 is not too hard to learn. The question becomes time and commitment. If you're a casual gamer who is only going to play the game here and there, and you're going to be taking significant breaks playing, then learning all the different controls, concepts, and tactics can feel overwhelming. Especially if you take a break and come back, then realize you don't remember 1/2 the stuff you learned and you need to learn it again.

With that said, the approach should not be what does Madden sacrifice in complexity for ease of access. In that regard, you are correct: you're just muddying the water at this point and nobody is happy. The approach should be: how do we add functionality to the game that allows casual players an easier entry? Perhaps that's a playbook that makes playcalling easier, or it's a mode of play where the AI will assign double teams and adjustments for the casual gamer (and make it transparent so the player understands what is happening). It's important to make it transparent so gamers can make that leap and decide to start calling out those double teams themselves.

In the end, it's about how to bridge the gap between the highly dedicated, hardcore fanbase and the casual player fanbase. EA should never treat either side with a lack of concern or respect. The hardcore fanbase is what gives free beta testing and feedback, helps drive hype, and creates a community. The casual fanbase will be the larger percentage of sales.
In a bit of a plot twist as a non-casual gamer that example goes hand in hand with one of my biggest wishlist items. Short version: Expand the coaching aspect of the game by giving coaches tendencies and different skill levels that affect what happens during games. Since it is largely an AI feature, users would have the option to toggle AI control for user-controlled teams similar to how other activities can be delegated to the AI.

That kind of feature is a win-win for everyone

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »