Home

Why are 'longsnappers" even needed

This is a discussion on Why are 'longsnappers" even needed within the Madden NFL Old Gen Rosters forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen > Madden NFL Old Gen Rosters
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-09-2008, 03:24 PM   #9
Pro

OVR: 9
Re: Why are 'longsnappers" even needed

Quote:
Originally Posted by imalanh1
No one likes 100% rosters more than me,( I use to spend more time on rosters than actually playing the game, was a sickness lol) just wasn't sure why some people worry about that position. Have you ever seen a "bad snap" in Madden?
I think the reason we don't see bad snaps (at least of FGs) is because if you are playing and you lose because the snapper or holder screwed up you'd hear foul being cried out loud...It would probably seem more like getting screwed than 'realism'...I'm sure when there is an overly fortuidous fumble that decides a game some people feel cheated somewhat...
Old 09-09-2008, 03:31 PM   #10
Pro

CAG CheechDogg's Arena

OVR: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGROC
How often do you see an OL gunning or wedge busting in real life? There are maybe 1 or 2 that do it, and that is a HUGE MAYBE. Do you know what a long snapper, or a gunner is?

If I didn't know what "gunner" or "long snapper" is , do you honestly think I would of posted what I did?

I have forgotten more about football than you will probally ever learn. And I took offense by your question because if you really think about it, why else would I have mentioned long snappers and gunners.

If you really know football, you would know that the long snapper is a gunner on punts. Yes, the gunners are mostly WRs Corners or safeties, but the long snapper is also considered a gunner, even the LBS are now considered gunners in the NFL.

So buddy, try again.
Old 09-09-2008, 04:17 PM   #11
Rookie

Bmore's Arena

OVR: 6

No a long snapper is not a gunner. A gunner is the player that runs down the sideline in an attempt to tackle or make the returner change directions. A long snapper does not do that for obvious reasons. Most gunners are WR's or CB's.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-09-2008, 04:20 PM   #12
Banned

OVR: 2

There are some guys like Chris Massey for the Rams that hasn't had a bad snap in like 5 years. So I think it'd be cool if these guys were in the game as a Long snapper and that it would actually have an effect on how good of a snap it is. If your long snapper sucks you'll have badly placed balls that will make the holder spend more time placing the ball causing an easier blocked field goal or shanked field goal. On punt you could have balls launched over the punters head or into the dirt. Just add a bit more realism to the game. Also being able to choose anyone from your roster to be the holder. I'm a Rams fan if you can't tell, and Dane Looker is the holder but he plays WR so he can't be the holder because only Qb's and kickers and punters can be. Just some thoughts.
Old 09-09-2008, 08:04 PM   #13
Pro

OVR: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by CheechDogg75
If I didn't know what "gunner" or "long snapper" is , do you honestly think I would of posted what I did?

I have forgotten more about football than you will probally ever learn. And I took offense by your question because if you really think about it, why else would I have mentioned long snappers and gunners.

If you really know football, you would know that the long snapper is a gunner on punts. Yes, the gunners are mostly WRs Corners or safeties, but the long snapper is also considered a gunner, even the LBS are now considered gunners in the NFL.

So buddy, try again.
Ah the statement of the so informed...

As far as the centers being considered gunners, not really. Sure, you can say that, but it is as true a moniker as calling a running back a QB because he throws a pass...Yes, everyones job on punt coverage is to get downfield (at some point) to cover the kick...But gunners are generally the guys who get downfield, right after the PR...Hence they are "gunning" for the guy with the ball. You can play pretend, but don't do it when you don't know what it is you're saying, and who you're saying that to.
Old 09-09-2008, 08:48 PM   #14
MVP

WatchdogXC's Arena

OVR: 15

Actually, long snappers are often right in on the tackle on punts as they can leave the earliest. Ryan Pontbriand of the Browns is in on plays a lot and he also is a great long snapper and it was crazy that he was a 5th round pick just to long snap but he made the pro bowl last year and he can be relied on. The funny thing is that he has never been on any of the Maddens as far as I can remember.
Old 09-09-2008, 08:54 PM   #15
Banned

OVR: 5

their handy to fil up the reatrted roster requiemrnts seeing some teams only use 7 OL and its better to have a REAL player on the roster then a practise squad guy
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-09-2008, 10:05 PM   #16
Pro

CAG CheechDogg's Arena

OVR: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTroj52
No a long snapper is not a gunner. A gunner is the player that runs down the sideline in an attempt to tackle or make the returner change directions. A long snapper does not do that for obvious reasons. Most gunners are WR's or CB's.
And like I stated before, yes most gunners are Wrs, cbs, safeties, even rbs, but you do have players like Kevin Houser of the Saints, Jason Kyle of the Panthers, Don Muhlback of the Lions, John Denney of the Phins who was a de himself, LP Ladouceur of the Cowboys another De himself, and David Binn of the Chargers who actually are gunners.

The gunners we are used to seeing are players like James Thrash of the Skins, Mike Furrey of the LIons, Dane Looker of the Rams, Terrance Copper of the Saints, and Sean Morey of the Cards.

So yeah guy, I do know what gunners are. Remember Steve Tasker of the Bills...what a great GUNNER HE WAS ...wasn't he?

Oh yeah...how about Larry Izzo of the Pats right now, and Khary Campbell of the Skins, all these guys are gunners buddy, including the long snappers I mentioned.

Bye for now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGROC
Ah the statement of the so informed...

As far as the centers being considered gunners, not really. Sure, you can say that, but it is as true a moniker as calling a running back a QB because he throws a pass...Yes, everyones job on punt coverage is to get downfield (at some point) to cover the kick...But gunners are generally the guys who get downfield, right after the PR...Hence they are "gunning" for the guy with the ball. You can play pretend, but don't do it when you don't know what it is you're saying, and who you're saying that to.
So you are going to tell me that these guys I have mentioned ...and guys like Mike Sellers of the Skins another player who also lines up as a gunner and is the upback are not gunners?

Do some more research buddy, as for me I don't have to look things up, yes you can say they are usually wedge busters, but that is on kickoffs most of the time. These guys do just that, gun down the field towards the ball carrier.

Have a good day sir.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen > Madden NFL Old Gen Rosters »