Home

Pancake Question

This is a discussion on Pancake Question within the Madden NFL Old Gen Sliders forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen > Madden NFL Old Gen Sliders
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-05-2006, 02:47 PM   #1
Rookie

pbtiger's Arena

OVR: 3
Pancake Question

Guys, I spent way too much time yesterday trying to find some statistical information to assist with getting O-Line settings for blocking that might feel close to realistic. Considering pancake blocks are not a NFL statistic maintained for records, it was hard to come up with much. Something I had not taken into account prior to the research was another type of block called a knockdown block. Not too sure what this block is outside of the equivalent of a pancake except on a passing play/downfield block by a receiver, etc., but the point is it was stated as a seperate stat (i.e., Tackle for team X had 75 pancake blocks and 90 knockdown blocks for 2005). In the game stats for Madden there is only pancakes listed. My question is I now wonder if both types of blocks are being kept, but the totals are the sum of the two. If that is the case it would stand to reason the totals might be a little higher than simply just an average pancake total for a game, which appears to be 3-5 for good linemen.

Just a thought that occured to me that may just be me trying to rationalize the high totals. I'd be interested to hear what others might think.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-05-2006, 03:01 PM   #2
Banned

Re: Pancake Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbtiger
Guys, I spent way too much time yesterday trying to find some statistical information to assist with getting O-Line settings for blocking that might feel close to realistic. Considering pancake blocks are not a NFL statistic maintained for records, it was hard to come up with much. Something I had not taken into account prior to the research was another type of block called a knockdown block. Not too sure what this block is outside of the equivalent of a pancake except on a passing play/downfield block by a receiver, etc., but the point is it was stated as a seperate stat (i.e., Tackle for team X had 75 pancake blocks and 90 knockdown blocks for 2005). In the game stats for Madden there is only pancakes listed. My question is I now wonder if both types of blocks are being kept, but the totals are the sum of the two. If that is the case it would stand to reason the totals might be a little higher than simply just an average pancake total for a game, which appears to be 3-5 for good linemen.

Just a thought that occured to me that may just be me trying to rationalize the high totals. I'd be interested to hear what others might think.
It is impossiable to get realistic pan cakes at a realistic level. but I will give you some advice set your knockdown slider even with the pass block and set the tackle slider even with the run block that way it will keep you or the cpu from getting un even pank cakes with each other on the average but after all this is madden so nothing is perfect. try my sliders and you will know what i am talking about. me and the cpu average around 10-12 pan cakes together for the top 2 pan cake leaders on each team.

Last edited by NCAA; 09-05-2006 at 03:03 PM.
Old 09-05-2006, 04:55 PM   #3
MVP

booker21's Arena

OVR: 16

To have pancakes realistc.. or to achive this goal.. both teams have to avg the same as the sim engine.

I didn´t find a way to do it, without hurting other part of the game (running game).
Old 09-05-2006, 05:09 PM   #4
Banned

OVR: 29

what on earth is a pancake in football?
Old 09-05-2006, 10:41 PM   #5
Rookie

pbtiger's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmay
what on earth is a pancake in football?
It is where an offensive player knocks a defender flat when throwing a block. It typically is on a running play. The problem I have had is wide receivers getting as many as 4 or 5 a game, which just does not seem real at all. Like I said, if the stats are also including knockdowns, which seem to be a whole different animal, then they may be fairly representative.

Booker, you have indeed pointed out the problem. How do you fix it without impacting other parts of the game? There may not be a solid solution.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-06-2006, 12:14 AM   #6
Pro

OVR: 8

having WR's and other non Olineman should not affect progression so this is not really a big issue. it seems like through simming a bit the average for a pretty good olineman is around 5 a game but sometimes the top olineman on a team will average closer to 4 with lesser teams. just sim week one of the regualr season in a franchise and see the highs and lows so you can try to simmulate that.
Old 09-06-2006, 12:52 AM   #7
Hall Of Fame

Playmakers's Arena

OVR: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCAA
It is impossiable to get realistic pan cakes at a realistic level. but I will give you some advice set your knockdown slider even with the pass block and set the tackle slider even with the run block that way it will keep you or the cpu from getting un even pank cakes with each other on the average but after all this is madden so nothing is perfect. try my sliders and you will know what i am talking about. me and the cpu average around 10-12 pan cakes together for the top 2 pan cake leaders on each team.
First off it's not the KDWN Slider. It's the Break BLK Slider and TKL SLider that impacts the amount of pancakes. The KDWN Slider is purely in control of pass defense and has nothing to do with pancakes.

You have the balance the the BRK SLIDER, TKL and RUN/PASS BLK Sliders to get low pancake totals. Which is one of the reason's why I scrapped my All-Madden sliders and started over because too many guy's were getting slammed to the ground.
Old 09-06-2006, 09:14 AM   #8
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playmakers
First off it's not the KDWN Slider. It's the Break BLK Slider and TKL SLider that impacts the amount of pancakes. The KDWN Slider is purely in control of pass defense and has nothing to do with pancakes.

You have the balance the the BRK SLIDER, TKL and RUN/PASS BLK Sliders to get low pancake totals. Which is one of the reason's why I scrapped my All-Madden sliders and started over because too many guy's were getting slammed to the ground.

actually you are wrong i have done test on this the kncockdown slider is for everyone on defense and if one of those 4 that i mentioned is off balance the the deffese sliders that you set in favor of regardless of cpu or human eigher the human or the cpu one will have off balanced pan cakes because one of you is getting shut down on the run if you don't belive me try my sliders.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen > Madden NFL Old Gen Sliders »