Home

Bill Harris' Realism Sliders

This is a discussion on Bill Harris' Realism Sliders within the Madden NFL Old Gen Sliders forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen > Madden NFL Old Gen Sliders
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-17-2009, 06:15 PM   #1
Rookie

nbluedevils's Arena

OVR: 6
Bill Harris' Realism Sliders

Now I just want to say that I am not Bill Harris and I am not presenting his work as my own. However, I stumbled upon his blog (literally and figuratively) and I think that he has some amazing sliders here. Here is the post from his blog describing the process he went through to obtain his sliders and then the sliders themselves. It's literally like playing real football:

By Bill Harris

VERSION 2****VERSION 2***VERSION 2

GAME OPTIONS
Quarter length: 12
Play clock: On
Accel clock runoff: 15 seconds
Injuries: 50 (still checking)
Fatigue: 50 (still checking)
Game speed: Fast*
Player min speed thresh: 70
Camera angle: Wide
Fight For the Fumble: Off

PENALTIES:
Offside 100
False Start 100
Holding 52 (very touchy--don't go higher than this)
Facemask at 62* [1]
Def PI 100
Off PI 100
KR/PR Int 70
Clipping 75
Int Grounding 70
Rough Passer 75
Rough Kicker 75

PLAYER SKILL
(note: at first, it looks like there are only four sliders. Press "A" on each to access the sub-settings (thanks to Bill Abner for the tip).
Passing:
QB Accuracy 20
Pass Blocking 80*
WR Catching 50
Rushing:
Broken Tackles 55 [2]
Run Blocking 100
Fumbles 25
Pass Defense:
Reaction Time 15* [3]
Interceptions 25
Pass Rushing 70* [4]
Rush Defense:
Reaction Time 5
Block Shedding 0
Tackling 45

CPU SKILL
Passing:
QB Accuracy 25* [5]
Pass Blocking 80*
WR Catching 50
Rushing:
Broken Tackles 55
Run Blocking 100
Fumbles 25
Pass Defense:
Reaction Time 100* [6]
Interceptions 25
Pass Rushing 95* [7]
Rush Defense:
Reaction Time 5
Block Shedding 0
Tackling 45

SPECIAL TEAMS
FG Power 60* [8]
FG Accuracy 40
Punt Power 60
Punt Accuracy 80
Kickoff Power 50

* indicate settings that have changed from V1.
Notes:
[1] I was trying to get Facemask penalties to compensate for the lack of defense of pass interference penalties. It does, but it's annoying, so I lowered the setting.

[2] if you're using the truck stick and special moves extensively, you'll want to REDUCE this setting. This was balanced for players who usually let the CPU run the ball for them, or just sprint with the RB without using special moves.

[3] slightly lowered to help the CPU offense.

[4] the biggest change in this version is to the pass rush. Based on stopwatch timing, neither the CPU nor the human player had enough time to throw the ball against a standard pass rush in comparison to real NFL numbers (both were averaging below three seconds against a four-man pass rush). Now, time and the pocket should be much more realistic (slightly over three seconds for the human player, on average), and the CPU was given a bonus of about three-tenths of a second to give them more time to make decisions.

[5] I tested this setting with both the most accurate and least accurate quarterback in the league, along with a few others. It works fine with starters and backups, but third stringers with accuracy below 60 are going to struggle (as they do in real life). And if you're playing as the Giants and have to put Andre Woodson (their third string quarterback and least accurate QB in the game--accuracy in the 30's) in the game, good luck.

[6] this setting is really cranked up from version one. CPU pass defense was just too weak, and this significantly improves the CPUs ability to cover receivers.

[7] slightly lowered to increase the time that the human quarterback has to pass.

[8] slightly increased because too many lower-tier kickers had less kick power than in real life. I'm still working on this, because I'm still not completely satisfied.

I'm really pleased with how these play on Fast. The CPU passing game is much more effective, CPU Pass defense is better, and both the human player and the CPU have a more realistic length of time in the pocket.

Last edited by nbluedevils; 08-21-2009 at 08:42 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-17-2009, 06:22 PM   #2
Rookie

airjam389's Arena

OVR: 2
Re: Bill Harris' Realism Sliders

I just saw these on his website as well. I'm really curious about them. It's a different idea from what most people are doing, and I'll admit that I'm really enjoying the game on slow/very slow.

Still, his logic is compelling, and I'm definitely a sim kind of player, so this is something I'm going to have to look into.

I think the question for me is, does my skill match up to the "real" speed of the NFL? Sure, it would be great if the game was exactly like the NFL, but if I can't make football descisions as quickly as an NFL player, then I'm putting myself at a serious disadvantage. It's only "realistic" or "sim" for me if I can play at an NFL speed. At this point, I'm not sure I can do that.

Nonetheless, this is the first thing I'll be trying out tonight.
Old 08-17-2009, 06:24 PM   #3
MVP

Azamien's Arena

OVR: 10

Quote:
Since Devin Hester is a 99 for speed, I used him as the first test.

Like I mentioned, Hester can run a 4.24 in real life. In practice mode, though, he's running on natural grass, from a standing start, and the fly pattern isn't an exactly straight line. Factoring in those variables, if I can get Hester to run in the 4.45-4.55 range, and I think that qualifies as realistic.

The game ships with a default speed setting of "slow." At that setting, what is Hester's time in the 40?
He didn't run 4.24 in pads.

The sliders look interesting and I'll give them a try, but I have major issues with his speed expectations.
Old 08-17-2009, 06:27 PM   #4
Hall Of Fame

bcruise's Arena

OVR: 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azamien
He didn't run 4.24 in pads.

The sliders look interesting and I'll give them a try, but I have major issues with his speed expectations.
That's why he said he was shooting for 4.45-4.55.

I'm trying a game right now. Be warned - you might want to restart a time or two if you've been playing on slow - the speed will blow you away.
Old 08-17-2009, 06:31 PM   #5
Rookie

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcruise

I'm trying a game right now. Be warned - you might want to restart a time or two if you've been playing on slow - the speed will blow you away.
I still think 4.45 is too high. Something more like 4.8 would be more realistic, which is why I think I'll try these out on Fast instead of Very Fast.

"Excuse me, but Hiphop these days, it don't enthuse me"

---Chino XL
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-17-2009, 06:34 PM   #6
MVP

g2thecore's Arena

OVR: 22

That was a very interesting read. I like his way of thinking, but I doubt I'll be able to handle the "very fast" speed. I got used to the slow, and I'm loving it.

That being said, I'll experiment with this, and I'll post my thoughts when I'm done. Great job OP!

P.S: Please post some stats, and game results. I'd like to see what you're getting.
Old 08-17-2009, 06:37 PM   #7
Pro

cactusruss's Arena

OVR: 7

Nobody can run a 4.5 40 in full pads, not even Hester. If his absolute best 40 time on a perfect running surface in perfect running clothes is 4.24 seconds, his 40 time on a football field in full pads is going to be around 4.9, at best.

I'm interested in trying the game play sliders, but this guy's logic in how he came up with game speed is severely flawed.
Old 08-17-2009, 06:37 PM   #8
Rookie

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcruise

He factored a 4.45-4.55, as he mentioned, because it's tested on a fly pattern and on natural grass(not sure why he mentions from a standing start as combine times are done from a standing start). All this sounds about right, but I'd still tack on more time for running in pads. I'd say the 4.45-4.55 range is too fast.

As a side note, Hester actually ran a 4.27. Chris Johnson ran a 4.24.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen > Madden NFL Old Gen Sliders »