Home

The famous Versuz2 sliders (along with some speed threshold theory)

This is a discussion on The famous Versuz2 sliders (along with some speed threshold theory) within the Madden NFL Old Gen Sliders forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen > Madden NFL Old Gen Sliders
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-23-2009, 07:31 PM   #105
Banned

OVR: 26
Re: The famous Versuz2 sliders (along with some speed threshold theory)

Quote:
Originally Posted by roolz
If I may, ill just add some thoughts in here. Please note that I have no opinion or evidence to back up or deny any claims made in here, this post is based on my first game with Madden 10 and my first game of Madden for about a year.

I used Pro-100, Slow with the Threshold set to 50....

Now it was a quick play game, Redskins (me) vs Steelers (cpu). Latest roster update and no lineup changes. 10min Quarters, 25 sec Accelaration

OK so 1st quarter (remember ive not played this for a while) Parker busts a 52yd rushing TD on me... I forgot the sprint button and was diving with defenders, so although it was a decent run, if I could remember how to play that would not have gone that far.

Next up, I throw a stupid INT (totally my fault, no pressure straight up the middle into a LBs arms) - Steelers drive for another TD.

My next set, Campbell tosses another INT, this time the Steeler pressure forced out a little floater that was caught for a pick 6. 0-21 in about 4 minutes.

Interestingly after this the Steelers would score just 2 more pts via a safety thanks again to me calling a silly play in the 2nd quarter.

So my feelings from that game are:

The Steelers didnt want to cut my throat... they took their chances, but outside of that they did very little. Now that could be because they were in control, or just the AI was not aggresive enough.

For me, my running game ended up -1yds... couldnt do anything at all, just got dropped all the time. Passing alot better, but anything over 15yds wasnt easy, under that I completed most passes to Cooley and Randle El with ease.

I also encountered one of those supposed threshold animations. Parker got away out right, he had probably 2 (in game yds) on the closest defender, when without warning he started to curl up into an animation waiting for a tackle. He would slide for another 2 yards before the defender got to him with Parker prepared for it.... now im not backing any theories, just adding that in there as it was a blatant 'set animation' that must have been triggered by something.

I dont think I can say much more... I never felt threatened in that game and although I didnt score, I missed a FG and went for it on 3' 4th downs in scoring position as I need the practice. But in conclusion it looks like my own ineptness at the game ensured the Pittsburgh win, rather than them going for my throat and putting me down as they should have done.
You will encounter a lot of "suction" tackles and blocks with these sliders man...that's what cranking them all up does. The Blocking and Tackling sliders don't affect the how good or how bad the players will block or tackle. Those are affected by the player ratings. But what they DO affect is how near you have to be to trigger the tackle/block animations. It's just an animation trigger. Cranking it up increases the suctions. Several of the sliders are just triggers and can act funny if cranked real high.

There's another in-depth thread going on if you want to read up and learn what each individual slider does and how it affects the player interactions on the field.

Last edited by pbz06; 08-23-2009 at 07:34 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-24-2009, 03:33 AM   #106
Pro

OVR: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbz06
You will encounter a lot of "suction" tackles and blocks with these sliders man...that's what cranking them all up does. The Blocking and Tackling sliders don't affect the how good or how bad the players will block or tackle. Those are affected by the player ratings. But what they DO affect is how near you have to be to trigger the tackle/block animations. It's just an animation trigger. Cranking it up increases the suctions. Several of the sliders are just triggers and can act funny if cranked real high.

There's another in-depth thread going on if you want to read up and learn what each individual slider does and how it affects the player interactions on the field.
Thanks for that mate, yeah I will give that thread a good read. Im sort of stuck at the minute, trying to find sliders and a setting that will make me love the game. At the minute I am close to taking it back, not because its rubbish or I am comparing it to something... but just because on the settings ive played at, I just didnt feel like the AI wanted to beat me, rather I played and made wrong decisions.
Old 08-26-2009, 01:34 PM   #107
Rookie

OVR: 6

Seems this thread has gotten buried amongst all the other slider threads, which is a shame. I tried these out a bit last night after watching the YouTube videos and it's amazing what a difference these sliders make. The ability to keep my skill level at Pro and still get a challenge is a welcome change. Not once did I see any spinning linemen, suction blocks/tackles or any of the stuff that bothers the hell out of me in this game.

And it was still a challenge. I lost my first two games I tried with these settings but was able to win my 3rd game. I'm playing on 7 minute quarters with the 10 second accelerated clock and am getting reasonable looking stats in my opinion. But beyond the stats, the game actually plays well. These sliders may not be perfect, but they certainly represent the game I would much rather play than what the default settings are.

Thanks to Versuz for making all the videos and showing all the examples. Good stuff to try here.
Old 08-27-2009, 03:16 PM   #108
Banned

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill2451
oh gunter, you amuse me

you do realize that video you're referring to is complete bull****, right

that is not how speed threshold works AT ALL

That is how it works,more so on all-madden than any other level ,,why do you think they run in place.
Old 08-27-2009, 03:21 PM   #109
Banned

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JT30
I dont get the threshold video when versuz says the threshold kicks in and holds up the HUM controlled player (Andre Johnson)? The pass was underthrown.. did he not expect Johnson to slow down via a weird animation? I dont get it

The pass was NOT underthrown,,it was overthrown to his right shoulder,,however since the threshold kicked in,,he HAD to do a fairy jump to catch the ball,,if you wastch the second video I throw the same pass he catch the pass over his shoulder in stride.
Old 08-28-2009, 02:20 AM   #110
Rookie

Hughey2k's Arena

OVR: 7

Versuz2, I just wanted to tell you that after watching some of your videos on Youtube I gave your settings a try. No way did I think it would work. I thought stats would be all messed up and other than QB acc, I must say they were very good. I put player skill on Pro, CPU Skill all at 100 and threshold @ 0.

Won a game tonight on a last second field goal 22-20. Det @ Jax (me).

I did play on slow.... What speed setting is everyone playing on or does it matter. I would not think that it would with these settings.

Thank again, nice job....
Old 08-28-2009, 03:31 AM   #111
Rookie

OVR: 2

ive been playing these sliders in my Packers franchise... on pro... 15 min quarters with 15 sec acc... (changed it to 20 last game) I think Im on slow speed...

Im 5-0

Forgive me for having forgotten exact stats and scores... Ive been playing over the course of a week and dont have my game on...

Week 1
Beat the Bears, high scoring game (30s each team). Was trailing like 24-21 going into the 4th, scored on a TD pass then got a pick-6 to seal it. Picked off Cutler 3 times, ran Grant for about 90 yards on like 30 carries, Threw 2 picks with Rodgers, put I play my pass game aggressively... Ive always thrown alot of picks.

Week 2
Beat the Bengals, something like 19-3.... Basically could only muster FGs... Id drive down field and get stuffed in the red zone... Between my backs (Jackson and Grant) I ran like 50 times, got less then 100 yards... pitiful rushing game. I was trying really hard to get it to work, which I think contributed to me getting some many FGs... I kinda felt like I could toss a touchdown pass if I really wanted, but I tried to run inside the 10.

Week 3
Beat the Rams... honestly dont remember the score, except I know I jumped out 21-0, they rallied some, but I was racking up coverage sacks like mad late.... I won a close game I know...

Again, could not run at all... their D would shed their blocks and stuff me for losses... I could occassionally bust a 10-20 yard run, but it would get negated by multiple runs for losses. Threw 3 picks with Rodgers, mostly on me.

Week 4
Beat the Vikings 38-24. Favre threw 4 picks, most of them I didnt feel like I really earned, if that makes sense... Ive never been a good defensive player at Madden (have been playing since Madden 91, yet I still suck... lol) but my defense is really good with these sliders.

Got 4 passing TDs with A-Rod in this one, again... NO rushing game whatsoever... AP had a solid, but not spectacular game... Im not seeing low offensive stats out of my opponents, I just usually hold them to FGs or get red zone turnovers. Backs get like 60-80 yards rushing on me... QBs go for 200+ generally.

Week 5
Beat the Lions 19-16, just finished this game, and it prompted me to post here...

First off, I turned the acceleration up cuz I was getting a major discrepincy in TOP... like 40-20 in my favor per game, I was running something 70-85 plays to their 50... bumping to 20 fixed it and they actually beat me in TOP this game.

This was an odd game considering they came into it 0-5 and playing very poorly... they played a solid game offensive and lead mostly throughout... field goal contest through 3 quarters (12-10 me, they got a TD on an early drive.)

They march down the field inside of 2 minutes and score, 16-12 (they go for 2 and I stop it)... 3 plays later, I hook up with Driver for a 65 yard game winner. Rodgers goes for 280 and a td... About 200 for Culpepper, Smith rushed for 85...

Grant....

24 yards on 18 carries....

seriously... I dont know if it's me or what, but I CANNOT run against anyone on these sliders... I had a few decent runs to get to 90 yards in week one, but since then im getting dominated...

YET I still win every game... despite going into 2 games trailing very late, I didnt feel any lack of confidence in pulling it out.

So I kinda find myself unsure of these sliders... it's easy, yet my offense is very very poor. Im not scoring many touchdowns and my running game is horrible... but my usually poor defensive skills have gotten a big boost. Im getting a realistic amount of sacks and a bit more INTs then normal

Im pretty sure if I notch down the run defense then ill be blowing teams out... and Im pretty sure if I go to All Pro Ill get blown out, as the CPU will starting getting some offense and mine will become non-existent.

Ive traditionally played either Pro or All Pro, but been stuck in the middle... Pro I win easily, and All Pro I find the challenge to be cheap, like the computer is cheating to win and not that they just out-played me. Their is definately no cheapness out of the CPU with these sliders... but man I just cant figure out how to get a run game going without getting blasted for negative yards so much... maybe it's just my playcalling.

Anywho... thats my report... thanks for sitting through my rambling... lol
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-28-2009, 11:32 AM   #112
Rookie

OVR: 6

I'm just going to show a little more love for these sliders again today. Played again last night in my Franchise against the Packers (I was the Vikings). What a great game. I went up 21-0 in the first quarter and thought, uh-oh, this is too easy. But then some bad playcalling and horrible passing decisions on my part put GB right back in the game. I didn't score a TD at all in the 2nd half because GB started catching on to the plays I was running and I could no longer run the ball.

What I love about these sliders is that when bad things happen in a game, they are your fault. Not the CPU cheating into position to make it harder for you. I could pinpoint the mistakes I made easily by going into Instant Replay and watching what was going on. The interceptions I threw were bad decisions based on real pressure from the defensive line. I tried to abuse the same plays (hitting Harvin over the middle on a slant) and GB eventually started calling the right D to stop it.

I know Versuz2 talks a lot about coaching not really being in the game. I think the foundation is there but we don't see it as much as we should.

Still, these are the sliders I'm going to continue to play with because they provide the most realistic games I've played so far (albeit with 7 minute quarters - which is all I care to spend with one game anyway).

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen > Madden NFL Old Gen Sliders »