Home

Article- The Screenshots Seen 'Round The World

This is a discussion on Article- The Screenshots Seen 'Round The World within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-14-2005, 12:52 PM   #1
Pro

quietcool72's Arena

OVR: 10
Article- The Screenshots Seen 'Round The World

I wrote an article at my site regarding what we saw released yesterday from EA. Feel free to read, criticize, agree, or tell me I'm full of crap.

Quietcool72

http://www.consolefootball.com/modul...article&sid=75
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-14-2005, 01:02 PM   #2
binging

SPTO's Arena

OVR: 53
Re: Article- The Screenshots Seen 'Round The World

you're full of crap! :y4:

Actually that was a well written article and it has an element of truth. I know the complaint is legitimate. I also hope that we see some graphical innovation in the next generation of consoles but if that doesn't happen then things could get ugly in terms of wanting more bang for the buck.

I'm willing to give EA a free pass on the graphics this year only because of the imminent release of the next gen consoles.

"Baseball is the most important thing that doesn't matter at all" - Robert B. Parker
Old 04-14-2005, 01:08 PM   #3
MVP

PacMan3000's Arena

OVR: 11

I think you are dead on, Quiet.

It really bothers me that Madden fans are fine with the way the game looks. The graphics of the players and the player models...it just makes me shake my head. Not trying to get into a Madden VS ESPN thing...but all you have to do is look at ESPN's graphics. Look at the player models. Guys look filled out, they look BIG (like football players are supposed to). You can tell the difference between a guy who is 5'10 and a guy who is 6.5. Look at the detail. There are wrinkles on the jersey. Look at the player faces. Guys' faces in the game look like their real life counterparts--and due to the size of the player models, you can actually appreciate how the gamers recreated the faces.

I just think it's unacceptable that, after five years since Madden hit PS2, the graphics look the same. The player models lack realism. They lack detail. They look squatty. The faces STILL look cartoonish.

I'm not trying to say Madden doesn't do a lot of nice things. It does. But when I play a football game, I'd like the players to look like NFL football players. With the graphics that are capable of being produced, it is just absolutely lazy to not have MUCH better graphics, detail, and player models by now. You've seen the competition do it, and now the competition has been silenced. And until the fanbase actually shows they care, nothing will change.

People can argue that the graphics don't matter. I believe they SERIOUSLY matter. It helps immerse me into the game. I don't want to be playing a football game that doesn't look like it gave a full effort into producing the best recreation of football. And the lack of solid graphics and player models is a problem. It'd be like if you were about to sit down and play a war game, and all the soldiers looked small and had cartoonish faces that reminded you of an army of little boys rather than men. It would stick out to you big time, regardless of how good the game is.
Old 04-14-2005, 02:03 PM   #4
MVP

drae2's Arena

OVR: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by quietcool72
I wrote an article at my site regarding what we saw released yesterday from EA. Feel free to read, criticize, agree, or tell me I'm full of crap.

Quietcool72

Quiet, I ended up posting your article over here also-didn't even see this. I agree with you 1000%. After I saw the screen shots last night the first thing I thought about was EA is about to get ripped in half, and they deserve to be. This is really the very reason everyone who was/is a 2K fan whined and bitched a lot. How can they not upgrade the graphics just a little? And why are there no X-Box pics? That really concerns me after last year. I hope EA is reading and listening to us because if not.......you know the rest.
Old 04-14-2005, 02:07 PM   #5
Banned

OVR: 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by quietcool72

Quietcool72

Good read. I hope EA reads this and at least push the XBOX. Doom 3 look like a next gen game.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-14-2005, 02:34 PM   #6
Hall Of Fame

Chaos81's Arena

OVR: 38

Quietcool, nicely written article.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PacMan3000
I think you are dead on, Quiet.

It really bothers me that Madden fans are fine with the way the game looks. The graphics of the players and the player models...it just makes me shake my head. Not trying to get into a Madden VS ESPN thing...but all you have to do is look at ESPN's graphics. Look at the player models. Guys look filled out, they look BIG (like football players are supposed to). You can tell the difference between a guy who is 5'10 and a guy who is 6.5. Look at the detail. There are wrinkles on the jersey. Look at the player faces. Guys' faces in the game look like their real life counterparts--and due to the size of the player models, you can actually appreciate how the gamers recreated the faces.

I just think it's unacceptable that, after five years since Madden hit PS2, the graphics look the same. The player models lack realism. They lack detail. They look squatty. The faces STILL look cartoonish.

I'm not trying to say Madden doesn't do a lot of nice things. It does. But when I play a football game, I'd like the players to look like NFL football players. With the graphics that are capable of being produced, it is just absolutely lazy to not have MUCH better graphics, detail, and player models by now. You've seen the competition do it, and now the competition has been silenced.
I'll say the same thing I've said everytime I see someone bring up graphics. Why would they bother with the next gen systems coming out?

That would be pointless on their part. Yeah, lets spend even more money to upgrade the grpahics, so we can sell not that many more games. The people that were going to buy the game, would buy it regardless of the graphics. Yes, if they updated them, more people might buy it, but do you really think it would make them any more money?

I do agree, they need to upgrade the graphics, but I can live without them doing it. Until last year, not to many people complained. Last year they started to, and everyone told them to wait until this year. Well, this year is here. If they graphics don't get updated on the next gen systems, well, system, then you can complain. But I don't see why everyone makes such a big deal out of it, when you know the next X-Box is coming out.

Quote:
And until the fanbase actually shows they care, nothing will change.
Believe it or not, EA knows they need to. Before you ask, no I don't know this for a fact.

Quote:
People can argue that the graphics don't matter. I believe they SERIOUSLY matter. It helps immerse me into the game. I don't want to be playing a football game that doesn't look like it gave a full effort into producing the best recreation of football. And the lack of solid graphics and player models is a problem. It'd be like if you were about to sit down and play a war game, and all the soldiers looked small and had cartoonish faces that reminded you of an army of little boys rather than men. It would stick out to you big time, regardless of how good the game is.
Since you brought up Madden vs. ESPN, I'm going to guess you are an ESPN fan? You can honestly tell yourself that Take Two put a "full effort into producing the best recreation of football"? That's kind of scary with all the problems that game had.

Now saying that, I know Madden wasn't perfect, in fact it had many problems. I can acknowledge that. But when you say you don't want to play a game that "doesn't look like it gave a full effort into producing the best recreation of football", it makes me really wonder what you want.
Old 04-14-2005, 03:07 PM   #7
Pro

OVR: 4

I agree that there should be a greater leap in terms of graphics for Madden.

to Chaos, I think Quite was just pointing out the year to year leaps that ESPN made in terms of their graphics. there were great jumps and the game looked great.

Though I can live with the current graphics if EA blew the doors off by adding thousands more animations, I am realistic and for the last few years it seems that we see only 12 new animations each year added to the series with only slight graphics. take last year, the uniforms looked slightly better, the grass a little crisper, some viens showing, but if you look at 2005 compared to 2004 or even 2003 back to 2001, you can see why many fans want new graphics.

The potential is there. I love playing MVP 2005 and if Madden's graphics were anywhere near the batter graphics, I would be overjoyed. (yeah there are slowdown issues, etc... with such detail, but there could be some compromise).
Old 04-14-2005, 03:14 PM   #8
Sweettouch

Dame's Arena

OVR: 19

that was a good read you spoke the truth

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »