Home

NaturalMotion Advances Animation: New Technology for next gen games

This is a discussion on NaturalMotion Advances Animation: New Technology for next gen games within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 11-02-2005, 03:44 PM   #41
No end in sight...

OVR: 20
Re: NaturalMotion Advances Animation: New Technology for next gen games

Quote:
Originally Posted by BezO
I'm not a programmer, but it seems like the beauty of it is programming a physics code and having everyone obey that code. No? And I would think that what NaturalMotion is selling is that code. It would just be up to EA to program size, strength, ect. Obvioiusly, I'm just guessing. Maybe you can give and EDUCATED guess on how this would be implemented.

If anyone has FACTS on how hard this would be to implement, I'm interested in hearing.
well its more complicated that that.

for example.

lets say you have a deep ball thrown.

you take control of of the wr, and press Y to catch the ball.

right now, EA has several scripted animations to choose from, depending on where the ball is, when you pressed Y, where the DB is, etc etc to choose from, and then out pops that animation.

if you use natural motion, you would have to have far more than just tackling. when you press Y, natural motion would have to know how to 'naturally react' to make a catch. that is much more complicated than just a tackle.

same thing with a juke, spin, dive, hurdle, stiff arm, blocking etc, etc....

then you have to also have that system take into account attribute points, to determine how well of a blocker he is, how well of a pass rusher he is, etc etc....

while i have no doubt it can be done, it would be a MASSIVE programming undertaking to implement that system into a football game.

Last edited by dagger55; 11-02-2005 at 04:07 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-02-2005, 03:44 PM   #42
Banned

Jon22's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by dagger55
lol

2k used motion cap, just like EA.....
LoL

Then why did 2k look better?
Old 11-02-2005, 03:46 PM   #43
No end in sight...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon22
LoL

Then why did 2k look better?
because they used different motion cap techniques.

and personally i didnt think 2k5 looked much better than madden.

and i thought 2k5 had horrible running animations. players were too upright and stiff
you are crazy if you think 2k5 had 'near natural motion' technology
Old 11-02-2005, 04:01 PM   #44
ObiWanJenkins

OVR:

Quote:
because they used different motion cap techniques.

and personally i didnt think 2k5 looked much better than madden.

and i thought 2k5 had horrible running animations. players were too upright and stiff
you are crazy if you think 2k5 had 'near natural motion' technology
I agree with you. I've never thought 2k's animations were that much better than Madden, just different.

Old 11-02-2005, 04:34 PM   #45
Rookie

cheddabob7502's Arena

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObiWanJenkins
I agree with you. I've never thought 2k's animations were that much better than Madden, just different.
Agree, they had some BETTER LOOKING animations and different but not overall better. Plus in Madden and in 2k IMO i think the way their Engine is built and the capabilities it has, therefore thats why we saw the running game different from 2k series, grant 2k had better O/d line interaction but overall it wasn't that good. But thats my opinion.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-02-2005, 05:14 PM   #46
MVP

BezO's Arena

Quote:
well its more complicated that that.

for example.

lets say you have a deep ball thrown.

you take control of of the wr, and press Y to catch the ball.

right now, EA has several scripted animations to choose from, depending on where the ball is, when you pressed Y, where the DB is, etc etc to choose from, and then out pops that animation.

if you use natural motion, you would have to have far more than just tackling. when you press Y, natural motion would have to know how to 'naturally react' to make a catch. that is much more complicated than just a tackle.

same thing with a juke, spin, dive, hurdle, stiff arm, blocking etc, etc....

then you have to also have that system take into account attribute points, to determine how well of a blocker he is, how well of a pass rusher he is, etc etc....

while i have no doubt it can be done, it would be a MASSIVE programming undertaking to implement that system into a football game.
Gotcha. I wonder how much of that is taken care of by NaturalMotion themselves.

Apparently, they take months to complete mo capping. Dedicate that time to this and never have to worry about it again... assuming once the NaturalMotion is in place, and accounting for all possible outcomes, it doesn't have to be touched.
Old 11-02-2005, 08:11 PM   #47
D* W*rk!

Rocky's Arena

OVR: 30

I'm sorry, but besides running animations, NFL2K5 had superior animations in every phase of the game.

RB moves and animations, OL/DL animations, QB animations, tackling, DB animations, bump and run.

For a game on the XBOX that CAME OUT IN 2004 to STILL have superior animations to a game on the 360 is down right piss poor.

If Tiburon can't get it down, bring in somebody who can. NBA Live has brilliant animations, so does MVP, and even NHL. Madden's animations are embarassing for a next gen game.

/end rant.
Old 11-02-2005, 08:16 PM   #48
ObiWanJenkins

OVR:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky
I'm sorry, but besides running animations, NFL2K5 had superior animations in every phase of the game.

RB moves and animations, OL/DL animations, QB animations, tackling, DB animations, bump and run.

For a game on the XBOX that CAME OUT IN 2004 to STILL have superior animations to a game on the 360 is down right piss poor.

If Tiburon can't get it down, bring in somebody who can. NBA Live has brilliant animations, so does MVP, and even NHL. Madden's animations are embarassing for a next gen game.

/end rant.
I disagree with your 2k assessment.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »