Home

For those playing without an HDTV.

This is a discussion on For those playing without an HDTV. within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 11-28-2005, 08:22 PM   #41
MVP

OVR: 11
Re: For those playing without an HDTV.

Quote:
Originally Posted by grunt
I am a big CRT fan. I currently own a 32 inch Sony Wega non HDTV with component outlets. My set still gives me a great picture but I am currently researching for my next set. My current set is 4 years old.

I am looking at the Sony 34 inch CRT HDTV but it some issue with quality of those sets. I go to CNET and read their reviews and in the review they said the Sony CRT has the best picture bar none. I really don’t feel the LCD or plasma because the high end HDTV CRTs just look better to me. I don’t care about the size of the set.

I am going to wait until a price drop, VC football game or a year before I get the 360. There are too many games I want to play on the old systems (Half Life 2, Far Cry. College Hoops, and TOCA 3) I think my Sony would handle the XBOX 360 just fine. Of course the HDTV would make it look better but by how much. I think it really depends on the TV and how the tv is set.
Grunt I know exactly which TV you have. I have the 36 inch model and stuff looks great on it...but Im still getting me an HDTV...i was looking at them long before 360 was even the name of the new system....I just happen to be at that point where I was about to get one anyways. But yeah, I got the same tv you do, just 36 instead of 34, non HDTV..they made a 38 inch model back then too...and just like yours mine is 4 years old lol
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-28-2005, 08:43 PM   #42
Rookie

dbly32's Arena

OVR: 6

For those playing without an HDTV....

....get an HDTV. No excuses now that the big 44 inch sets are going for under 2 grand in stores. Also, blowout deals at places such as www.buydig.com and www.mpsuperstore.com . Also, get some damn HD service from your cable/sat provider. The more people demand it, the faster they get off their asses and give us more channels.
Old 11-28-2005, 08:51 PM   #43
Rookie

GoBigOrange's Arena

OVR: 1

I don't know about video games, but when it comes to watching a real football game televised in HD (which I wounder how many people here actualy watch the games) there is no comparison. Its totaly unbelievable, its hard to watch a standard brodcast after getting used to HDTV.

I wish you all were here for the Colts/Steelers so you could feel the difference.

BTW anyone badmouthing someone else for not having the money for a HDTV is a jerk.

Please visit my website at footballjunkie.com
Old 11-28-2005, 09:09 PM   #44
Banned

OVR: 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackceasar
Grunt I know exactly which TV you have. I have the 36 inch model and stuff looks great on it...but Im still getting me an HDTV...i was looking at them long before 360 was even the name of the new system....I just happen to be at that point where I was about to get one anyways. But yeah, I got the same tv you do, just 36 instead of 34, non HDTV..they made a 38 inch model back then too...and just like yours mine is 4 years old lol
Yeah, a great TV. I promise my wife that I will wait for 5 years until I buy a new set. I think that is fair. I saw a nice Samsung CRT HDTV 30 inch at Best Buy. Look really good but I have love for the Sony 34 inch CRT HDTV. It cost around 1,110 bones. By next year one of these babies will be mine.
Old 11-29-2005, 01:15 AM   #45
MVP

OVR: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComfortablyLomb
Or maybe you know nothing about my financial situation and simply want to cherry pick hypotheticals based on the two facts that I've given to fit your argument. Americans piss away more money on what they don't need than any other country. The sort of ridiculous perspective that you possess is what drives the problem every time.

HDTV looks better, I agree with this statement. I don't have an HDTV set because I have a fantastic SDTV set, keeping up? I don't want to purchase an HDTV set because they cost too much relative to the upgade being gained. Now you took these facts and came to the conclusion that I'm bashing HDTV because I can't afford it. Maybe I just don't piss away money like so many others feel so comfortable doing? Maybe I don't find it to be particularly worth it to throw away a perfectly good 27" Sony Wega SD set (with component inputs!) for a minor upgrade that will cost upwards of 3X what was paid for what I currently own.

I've met people like you though. They're all the same. They'll go around judging people based on what they own and when someone tells them that their entertainment system probably wasn't worth it they'll just dismiss the comment as being made out of jealousy. HDTV isn't the second coming, it looks damn good because it's a little bit sharper, but it isn't that special. If you want it and want to pay for it then good for you and your bank account but telling people off because they think the upgrade isn't huge (do yourself a favor go look up "subjective") and that it's an economically poor decision based on past trends is increadibly juvenile. I cry for our school systems.[/rant]
Minor upgrade?? You know HD has 6 times the resolution of Standard TV's? I played the hulk in 480i & 720p.. Huge difference.. In 480i the letters were very blurry & hard to see, in 720p they were very clear & easy to read..Graphics are the same way.. & if you can afford a 360 you can afford a HDTV.. You can get one for under 500.00..

Audio set up:
Benchmark DAC1
headphones: Balanced Sony SA5000/Sen 650 AKG 340
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-29-2005, 01:19 AM   #46
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddenps2
I'm sure the hdtv companies payed microsoft to keep on touting hdtv.
Or maybe MS is thinking ahead.. You think by the end of the 360's run that most ppl will be gaming on a SDTV?? Maybe you want to live in the dark ages of analog viewing, but not me..

& HD should be touted.. Its awesome..

Audio set up:
Benchmark DAC1
Old 11-29-2005, 01:25 AM   #47
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrivera34
if you read his comments again, you may notice that he says he has both HD and non-HD sets, as do I. The difference is really not as great as most people brag about. I think those who went out and bought an HDTV because of the hype need to justify their purchase by saying how great it is. HD IS overrated!

Don't get me wrong though, HD looks good but not great IMO. Those on a budget who can't afford one aren't missing out on that much.
There is no hype.. Its a fact.. HD looks great.. Again, 6 times the resolution isn't just looking a lil sharper..

I bought my HDTV cause I seen HD broadcast in the store & was amazed at how great the picture looked.. I don't need to justify anything.. Put it this way.. Rosanne bar is SD viewing. Jessica Beal is HD viewing.. Big difference, buddy.. Keep hating HD..

Audio set up:
Benchmark DAC1
Old 11-29-2005, 01:54 AM   #48
Need A Life

bkrich83's Arena

OVR: 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddenps2
I'm sure the hdtv companies payed microsoft to keep on touting hdtv.
There's a reason. There's no doubt there's more than a significant difference between the quality of picture, clarity and color definition in an HD set over a non HD set. This was pretty clear even on my xbox playing MVP in 720P.

I don't know how big of a difference the games are on the 360, as I all of the TV's in my house are HD. (2 LCD, and 1 DLP.). I will say this when it comes to watching sports on TV, after watching them in HDTV, it's actually painful to watch them in Standard definition. There is no comparison, the difference is can not be put in to words.

I tend to think the people downplaying the quality of HD, are people who can't have HDTV.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »