Home

new vid from gametrailer

This is a discussion on new vid from gametrailer within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-10-2008, 01:35 AM   #17
All Star

OVR: 21
Re: new vid from gametrailer

Maybe it's an old build; looks like a lot of DL still getting manhandled. It'll be funny to highlight different positions on the field to see what's going on on any given play. There always seems to be 3-5 "it looks cool - let's put this in" animations and the rest look awkward. Which of course makes everything look disjointed. Absolutely no hint of physics whatsoever, especially on that Reggie Wayne incompletion. I thought the TD run itself was okay; I'd be curious what dictates breaking a tackle or being able to make the tackle on defense (since I assume there's no option to try to wrap up a ball carrier). Animations are still pretty stiff and it's really lacking in transitional animations; just doesn't look realistic. But the game will benefit greatly from not having any other pro game releasing for it to be compared to. Compared to Madden'08 it looks much better

XBL gamertag: d0meBreaker22 (that's a zero)

congrats Steelers, city of Pittsburgh, and Steeler Nation - SIX TIME WORLD CHAMPS
Old 06-10-2008, 01:49 AM   #18
Banned

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dudd
Hate to be a wet blanket, but my reaction to the video was a general meh. The touchdown was horrible, the running back ran parallel to the LOS and then broke two tackles to take it to the house. When was the last time you saw that, 95% of the long runs in the NFL happen when the running back gains a seam and explodes in the second level and either goes untouched or has enough momentum to break an arm tackle. If he stops moving five yards behind the line of scrimmage, he's not going anywhere. The deep balls still looked off, there was still the same choreographed 180 degree spin done in unison by both the WR and the DB that resulted in a pass breakup, and on the other, there was a hit done using the hit stick which resulted in a sudden change of momentum that just looked entirely unrealistic and out of place. Madden seems to be stuck in the uncanny valley to me, in some ways it looks so real that the fact they have a movement system that doesn't seem to always be smooth and congruent with the laws of physics stands out even more. It's not a problem watching the cartoon bodies dive hopelessly after Tecmo Bo, but it sticks out like a sore thumb here.

One other than stuck out, on the play following the rewind of the interception, number 71 of the Colts, an offensive lineman, sprints downfield following the catch and does the jump over pile animation, speeding up in the process of starting his jump. It's things like that that stick out too, it just doesn't look right.
Well said! I am just waiting for the official email to state this was an old build, cause this vid played very close to 08. It did not seem like much user control yet more canned animations. Who said it might have been played on rookie??? Ha, stop kidding yourself with the level of the game. If this is it, it is what it is.
Old 06-10-2008, 01:58 AM   #19
SCEA Community Manager

Russell_SCEA's Arena

OVR: 29

I'l chime in on this vid since I have played the game already.

This build is either Alpha 24 (the build used in the Ravens vs. Chargers vid) or its a newer one.

Secondly they are playing on the lower difficulty levels. Because the player weapon icons are visible on All-Madden the icons are turned off.

This is pretty much Madden 09 played on a lower difficulty level by media guys. (Take it for what you want) If you are expecting quantum shifts in Madden before release or you don't like what you have seen so far from all the vids and impressions out there do not buy this game.

Another tail tail sign is the deep ball its the same as it was from the build I played so I'm assuming its old. We where told that the deep ball was still being tweaked that week and it wasn't working correctly.

As I and some other CM have stated before the big three gameplay changes to Madden 09 are user control (something you cannot understand from a vid you need the sticks in your hand.), the break away tackling engine, and the retooling of the player ratings.

Since everyone always seems to try and break down these vids in a negative way I will provide the ying to the yang and point out some of the really cool things from the vid in Madden 09 this year.

At the 29 second mark you can see the kick returner lean into changing direction a decent display of the added momemtum in the game. (I still feel it needs tweaking in the future.)

At the 38 second mark on the Manning int its clearly a bad throw the user didn't lead the reciever enough to the left. If you stop the video at 38 seconds its very clear that P.Pousz has position on the receiver to make a play on the ball. Also on that same play its good to see the defensive players hand off their assigments had the stayed with their original receivers the ball would have been completed you can see R.Wayne seperate from the CB on his cut.

Same play at the 40 second mark after the int P.Pousz takes a couple of stutter steps to change direction.

Last play at the 2:00 minute mark I love the move that M.Lynch puts on D.Freeny. He shouldn't have scored though just some horrible stick skills and a very bad angle taken by B.Sanders. Which is something thats new this year if you purse at bad angles and try to make a tackle the chance of the ball carrier breaking the tackle is increased.

Last edited by Russell_SCEA; 06-10-2008 at 02:53 AM.
Old 06-10-2008, 02:19 AM   #20
Rookie

OVR: 8

Ian can you tell us anything about this video like what build and what difficulty this was on?

Honestly, my hype-o-meter when from 9/10 to around 5/10. After reading all the blogs(pastapadre, Maddenwars, russell05, etc), watching all the videos at least three time (once in slow-mo), and reading all of Ian's comments, I was pretty pumped. But in this video, there were just a lot of things that I didn't like. The dline was either on the ground or in the backfield. QB animations are meh. When the DB and WR turn around and do the same catching animation, which is a horrible animation btw, I wanted to throw up. I already hate that animation, but seeing twice in one play! Also, it looks like kickoff blocking got worse. The blockers don't stay together anymore to form a wedge, they just go around like chickens with their heads cut off. At least last year they formed a pseudo-wedge by somewhat sticking together. On the interception, the LB turned on a dime to make the catch. I guess the new foot-plant, locomotion etc... is only for the RBs. Lame. The gang tackle on the LB was pretty ugly. On the deep throw to Wayne, Mcree(?) completely turns around when running full speed and WWE style hit sticks Wayne. First Addai run, the gang tackling animation sucked. Probably because it was so repetitive in 08. Ball physics still blow chunky monkeys. And seriously, what's up with the olineman jumping over people post-play. It the most ridiculous/hilarious thing I have ever seen.

On the other midget sized hand, the graphics looks good except the colors are a little washed out. But that is something that can be adjusted. And the opening scene from outside the stadium is gorgeous. I really want to see Qwest Field.

Seriously, just delay this game for a month or two and fix all the quirkiness and add accelerated clock(p.s. can you tell us the status on this since I read that you guys were trying to add it). Then for the next Madden take two years! Two years!Then you will be able to add new oline/dline and cb/wr interaction; tidy up locomotion; refs, chain-gangs, sidelines, luscious cheerleaders; fix QB animations; improve franchise; improve ball physics; and improve gang tackling! Then you will have a game that you will be proud of! No more having to admit the cold, hard truth that 2K is ahead in some aspects. You will be able to ride into the sunset! Don't worry you can still make some dineros! At the beginning of the 2010 charge $10-$30 for a roster update.

Last edited by icomb1ne; 06-10-2008 at 02:29 AM. Reason: Added something... again!
Old 06-10-2008, 02:27 AM   #21
Banned

FootballDetails's Arena

OVR: 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by russell05
If you are expecting quantum shifts in Madden before release or you don't like what you have seen so far from all the vids and impressions out there do not buy this game.
That's a little extreme and even contradictory given the nature of the rest of your post.

You correctly say that gameplay cannot be properly evaluated by watching a video, then you instruct the viewer to not buy the game if they don't like all the videos.

But if they have yet to experience the gameplay for themselves, why discourage them from purchasing the game?

Shouldn't it be, "Hey, I know it doesn't look drastically different, but trust me, the gameplay is much improved. Get the controller in your hand, then judge."

I believe the positive reviews so far, and I rank gameplay over animations. I think most people feel the same way.

Last edited by FootballDetails; 06-10-2008 at 02:34 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-10-2008, 02:52 AM   #22
SCEA Community Manager

Russell_SCEA's Arena

OVR: 29

Quote:
That's a little extreme and even contradictory given the nature of the rest of your post.
Quote:
You correctly say that gameplay cannot be properly evaluated by watching a video, then you instruct the viewer to not buy the game if they don't like all the videos.
Let me repost what I stated clearly you must have misread something I said.

If you are expecting quantum shifts in Madden before release or you don't like what you have seen so far from all the vids and impressions out there do not buy this game.

I clearly stated if you don't like what you have seen so far from all the vids and impressions out there do not buy this game. Rent it play it at a friends house. If you feel that way without playing the game and don't like what you have seen so far already you probadly are better off keeping your money in my eyes.

Quote:
But if they have yet to experience the gameplay for themselves, why discourage them from purchasing the game?

Shouldn't it be, "Hey, I know it doesn't look drastically different, but trust me, the gameplay is much improved. Get the controller in your hand, then judge."

I believe the positive reviews so far, and I rank gameplay over animations. I think most people feel the same way.
I'm not discouraging anyone from purchasing the game and I already stated that fact in my impressions for everyone to play the game for themselves. The statement speaks for itself if you read it I shouldn't have to explain plain english.

Last edited by Russell_SCEA; 06-10-2008 at 03:02 AM.
Old 06-10-2008, 02:57 AM   #23
Pro

OVR: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Details

There should come a point when everyone relize's that these site's play there games on low levels for 1, and dont have people showing off the game who have enough skills to play the game properly. SO for anyone to judge on this video or any other video from site's like it, get a clue.

I dont mean to sound so harsh but C'mon by now all should know that these video's are being shown from people who probably dont even care about football in the first place or are not hardcore players. They are there to show the game off and they are doing the best they can (WHICH TRANSLATE'S INTO TERRIBLE FOOTAGE) But dont judge the game by these video's, if your not gonna take the Community's Managersword's for it . Rent it then complain all you want.
Old 06-10-2008, 03:13 AM   #24
Rookie

OVR: 7

After watching a couple vids, I'm starting to wonder just how ''improved'' the turnover issue is, from both titles this year.

I might actually hold off a day or two on both games this year, to get some non biased responses, because so far I'm not seeing in these vids, what people are claiming in the threads.

Turnover issue = No football gaming for me in 2008.... again.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »