Home

new vid from gametrailer

This is a discussion on new vid from gametrailer within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-10-2008, 04:22 PM   #49
Rookie

OVR: 7
Re: new vid from gametrailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nxt
IMO, turnovers in last years games were the #1 issue that made the game unplayable.
You're being far too kind. It's the #1 reason that made both games the worst sports games I have ever played, at least from my end. Also the fact that all you have to do is blitz, to get a sack, even with blocking at max for the CPU. We're being told that this was tweaked, that was tweaked, yet whenever I watch one of these vids from either sports title, I see turnovers during the first few seconds. I don't want the crap tweaked, I want it fixed.

I went from auto buy mode, to waiting a few days until some of you posts your opinions on the game, because thanks to OS, I rented last years games, instead of running out and buying them, and you guys were right on.

Maybe you guys will save me another $120. Would be nice to have a couple football games this year, though.
Old 06-10-2008, 04:35 PM   #50
Banned

FootballDetails's Arena

OVR: 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anti Honor
We're being told that this was tweaked, that was tweaked, yet whenever I watch one of these vids from either sports title, I see turnovers during the first few seconds.
Yeah, it doesn't elicit a good feeling. I hope it's a coincidence that turnovers keep popping up in the preview videos.

EA needs to release some official, updated videos. Every time a video surfaces, we hear it's an old build.

Hey, I'm optimistic all this last minute tweaking is really helping, but didn't Madden 08 also have last minute tweaking?

We won't be able to truly evaluate Madden 09's gameplay until it's released.
Old 06-10-2008, 05:14 PM   #51
Banned

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by russell05
Hey Russ,

Nope its all done in real time based on a couple of factors.

1. The move you use in your attempt to break out of a tackle.

2. The players ratings in that move stiff arm, spin, juke, trucking, etc...

3. The angle the defender is taking in his attempt to tackle you. (If its a bad angle the chance of breaking out of the tackle is greater.)

4. The tackle rating of the defender.
Ok, so in essence you don't have control over breaking the tackle? It is based on ratings and the button you mash/stick you move and if the AI is scheduled for you to break the tackle? Bottom-line canned animation responses?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-10-2008, 05:37 PM   #52
Pro

OVR: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by DONF
Ok, so in essence you don't have control over breaking the tackle? It is based on ratings and the button you mash/stick you move and if the AI is scheduled for you to break the tackle? Bottom-line canned animation responses?
You do have control in breaking the tackle if you time it right and the defender doesnt have the best angle on you. Lets say you are Willis McGahee and you run a toss right and a corner takes a angle on you, when he hits you if you press the stiff arm button as soon as he make contact with you, your chances of breaking the tackle are good. With him having a highly rated stiff arm. But if you try do the stiff arm with Reggie Bush you will most likely get tackled cause he doesnt have a high stiff arm rating. So in his case you would want to press the juke/elusive button to try and break the same tackle.

The way I see it is ratings mean alot more with this tacklin/break tackling engine. So if you run into Brian Urlacher and he has a good angle on you , your getting tackled (or so I hope). Even though these things do favor the offense most times. But that the good thing about the new gang-tackling and the USER STRIP.
Old 06-10-2008, 05:43 PM   #53
49ers

adembroski's Arena

OVR: 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBzrule
you gotta be kidding right? The defensive line in this game is a big problem, that's why everyone blitzes like crazy. To be fair, the first play was a cover 1 play out of Nickel it looks like with the NB blitzing from the backside and did not get accounted for because the HB is running a delay flat route, so the user was ok in moving away from it. But notice on the same play, Marcus Stroud gets pancaked like he doesn't weight anything. Next play defense brings a blitz, HB is running delay flat route, notice Stroud get pancaked yet again. Both DE's get pancaked. Next play both safeties blitz.

Then with the Colts on defense look how Freeney and Mathis get pancaked every single play. You sure the Oline needs "strength." No it doesn't. What they need is to recode how the Oline and Dline works. If they kept it the way it is now and gave the Oline more strength I wouldn't even think about buying the game.
I think it bares repeating that this video is clearly PRE bugfix... so we can assume the defensive linemen will not be on the ground this much in the final release.
Old 06-10-2008, 05:46 PM   #54
SCEA Community Manager

Russell_SCEA's Arena

OVR: 29

Quote:
I don't think you understand what I'm saying. Breaking tackles is 100% user control, but that doesn't mean you can break out of them every time you try.

You won't be breaking out of tackles with scrubs if the RB you are using has a 99 speed but a 70, spin, 70 juke move, 70 elsuiveness rating, and a 70 break tackle ratings don't expect him to break out of tackles.

He doesn't have high have the ratings to do it and no amount of expert user skills is going to change that. Its all about knowing your players and their skill sets. Like I stated in my preview article W.McGahee has the highest rated stiff arm rating in the game next to LT. So it would be wise to try and stiff arm out of tackles. On the flip side hes doesn't have a high spin move rating. It wouldn't be wise to use it trying to break tackles.

There are other factors as well one is the angle of the defender trying to tackle the ball carrier if its a bad angle the chance of success is higher. His tackle rating also comes into play here.

All these calculations are done in real time so its not canned by definition. I don't know if I can explain it any better than not.
Old 06-10-2008, 05:51 PM   #55
Banned

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackngoldfan
What's up with #99(Marcus Stroud) for Buffalo wearing those damn black snow boots? I hope they fix that crap. I'm pretty sure there was the same problem with one of Buffalo's O linemen in Madden 08. Other than that, the game looked good, and I liked the cutback in the end by Lynch.

Typical OS'er.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-10-2008, 06:13 PM   #56
Pro

adub88's Arena

OVR: 12

I sure appreciate any Colts vids. The video looked pretty good, hated to see my man D Free miss that tackle like that, but it's all good. I can't remember Ian C's exact comments, but EA does plan to work on player specific moments. So for those worried about that aspect of the game, it's in EA's plans. I hope it makes it into Madden '10.

I've also noticed EA is following the new rule where players have to tie up their hair so that it doesn't cover up their name.

Last edited by adub88; 06-10-2008 at 06:17 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »