Home

Game Informer - In Defense of the Madden Machine

This is a discussion on Game Informer - In Defense of the Madden Machine within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-07-2008, 02:35 PM   #1
Banned

FootballDetails's Arena

OVR: 30
Game Informer - In Defense of the Madden Machine

I'm not sure if this was already posted, but Game Informer has a great interview with Philip Holt that sheds light on the development process.

In Defense of the Madden Machine
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-07-2008, 02:41 PM   #2
Banned

OVR: 25
Re: Game Informer - In Defense of the Madden Machine

Madden is too big of a project to have the small of a development team, and that short of a development time frame. If you want to get more done you either hire more people or you make the people you have work over a longer period of time.

All that being said, who am I? And what do I know.
Old 07-07-2008, 02:51 PM   #3
Semi-retired

BrianFifaFan's Arena

OVR: 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Details
I'm not sure if this was already posted, but Game Informer has a great interview with Philip Holt that sheds light on the development process.

In Defense of the Madden Machine
That was the article that really made me have an enlightening about Madden and really made me chill about the EAhate. These are real guys who work real hard and being a factory worker and realising how much a company really expects financially and how the company wants more for less, it really made the Tiburon team seem more human. This combined with Ian's input here has really made me a fan. Now everyone won't feel the same way, but this is really a good insight into the Madden world and is a must read. Brian

A great product sells itself, no "back of the box" features required! (See Fifa...)

Old 07-07-2008, 03:22 PM   #4
Rookie

OVR: 5

To me I equate them to a professional athlete in the fact that they work on a game that brings pleasure or hate to millions of people. So just like fans at a game I can cheer for them but also tell them to suck off. I pay their salary just as fans pay mine.

I have a right to yell at them for not doing their best. They chose that lifestyle just as I chose mine. If they don't like it or can't get the job done it is time to find someone that can.

End of story

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianFifaFan
That was the article that really made me have an enlightening about Madden and really made me chill about the EAhate. These are real guys who work real hard and being a factory worker and realising how much a company really expects financially and how the company wants more for less, it really made the Tiburon team seem more human. This combined with Ian's input here has really made me a fan. Now everyone won't feel the same way, but this is really a good insight into the Madden world and is a must read. Brian
Old 07-07-2008, 03:39 PM   #5
MVP

OVR: 12

The majority of video game developers are made up of "real guys" who "work real hard". That doesn't mean the focus is in the right place or that areas of a game aren't neglected.

The interview indicates that they have been "reading message boards" to listen to find out what we wanted.

For about 4 years people on these madden message boards and others have repeatedly been asking for better presentation ala espn, improved franchise camera options, etc..yet none of those much wanted features have addressed. Instead, time has been dedicated to other features not asked for, and geared more towards casual gamers.

The guys at Ea are working hard but that doesn't mean the overall project had/has been going in the best direction. Hopefully with direct interaction *ian and others* that will change, only time will tell.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-07-2008, 03:45 PM   #6
Pro

Sigma4Life's Arena

OVR: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sauk
To me I equate them to a professional athlete in the fact that they work on a game that brings pleasure or hate to millions of people. So just like fans at a game I can cheer for them but also tell them to suck off. I pay their salary just as fans pay mine.

I have a right to yell at them for not doing their best. They chose that lifestyle just as I chose mine. If they don't like it or can't get the job done it is time to find someone that can.

End of story
Professional athletes make millions of dollars and go ride around in their $100,000 cars after having people like you yell at them. Call me crazy but I doubt any person who works on the Madden team makes anything close to 7 figures so yelling at them isn't justified.
Old 07-07-2008, 04:01 PM   #7
Semi-retired

BrianFifaFan's Arena

OVR: 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddenps2
The majority of video game developers are made up of "real guys" who "work real hard". That doesn't mean the focus is in the right place or that areas of a game aren't neglected.

The interview indicates that they have been "reading message boards" to listen to find out what we wanted.

For about 4 years people on these madden message boards and others have repeatedly been asking for better presentation ala espn, improved franchise camera options, etc..yet none of those much wanted features have addressed. Instead, time has been dedicated to other features not asked for, and geared more towards casual gamers.

The guys at Ea are working hard but that doesn't mean the overall project had/has been going in the best direction. Hopefully with direct interaction *ian and others* that will change, only time will tell.
That would be a possible scenario if the article hadn't been written afew months ago. Unless you're making reference to before to before all of this interaction started.

A great product sells itself, no "back of the box" features required! (See Fifa...)

Old 07-07-2008, 04:03 PM   #8
MVP

OVR: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianFifaFan
That would be a possible scenario if the article hadn't been written afew months ago. Unless you're making reference to before to before all of this interaction started.
I'm sure Ea has been reading forums long before Ian showed up here. I think they've referenced to it many times and OS has had a close relationship with EA for the past couple years and there have been yearly wish lists passed on to EA.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »