Home

Producer Blog: Science of Ratings (by Jon Crankshaw)

This is a discussion on Producer Blog: Science of Ratings (by Jon Crankshaw) within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-16-2008, 10:49 PM   #9
Rookie

OVR: 5
Re: Producer Blog: Science of Ratings (by Jon Crankshaw)

I will disagree that brady has the strongest arm in the league, he doesn't have the strongest arm by far.
Old 07-16-2008, 11:11 PM   #10
Banned

OVR: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sauk
I will disagree that brady has the strongest arm in the league, he doesn't have the strongest arm by far.
Isaiah Stanback has a stronger arm than T. Brady, and JaMarcus Russell has about the biggest arm league wide hands down. But this kind of thing is just speculation...In the QB competition at the pro bowl you only have a hand full of QB's even throwing, and its in such a relaxed setting. There are backsups around the NFL who can throw it a mile too...I dont pay much attention to these things because the scope is so narrow, and they never actually prove it in a head to head type situation. Like a 40 yard bash race.
Old 07-16-2008, 11:42 PM   #11
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guillotine 1
Isaiah Stanback has a stronger arm than T. Brady, and JaMarcus Russell has about the biggest arm league wide hands down. But this kind of thing is just speculation...In the QB competition at the pro bowl you only have a hand full of QB's even throwing, and its in such a relaxed setting. There are backsups around the NFL who can throw it a mile too...I dont pay much attention to these things because the scope is so narrow, and they never actually prove it in a head to head type situation. Like a 40 yard bash race.
Guillotine, i frickin hate tom brady but the guy has a cannon of an arm. There is a VERY NOTICEABLE difference between brady's velocity as opposed to a guy like brees or hasselbeck.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-17-2008, 12:42 AM   #12
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexBrady
Guillotine, i frickin hate tom brady but the guy has a cannon of an arm. There is a VERY NOTICEABLE difference between brady's velocity as opposed to a guy like brees or hasselbeck.
I agree, and I'd like to be clear on this. Tom Brady does not have a weak arm. By no means am I saying that. However, he does not have the strongest arm in the NFL, not even close. He's not in the top 5.

Brees, Hasselbeck, Garcia, Romo, Croyle, Rivers, Pennington, Grossman, Warner, Delhomme, & Bulger all have average to slightly above average arm strength. Some of these guys have the weaker arms in the NFL.

IMPO, Jay Cutler, JaMarcus Russell, Donavan McNabb, & David Garrard have the biggest arms in the NFL. You'd be hard pressed to find a QB that can throw the ball further than these guys.

the next tier would be Brady, Manning, Big Ben, Palmer, & Anderson. Again, I'm just talking about throwing power here...
Old 07-17-2008, 12:14 PM   #13
MVP

Matt Diesel's Arena

OVR: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guillotine 1

IMPO, Jay Cutler, JaMarcus Russell, Donavan McNabb, & David Garrard have the biggest arms in the NFL. You'd be hard pressed to find a QB that can throw the ball further than these guys.

the next tier would be Brady, Manning, Big Ben, Palmer, & Anderson. Again, I'm just talking about throwing power here...
Id agree with this. Brady does have top 3 accuracy and elite consistency. I hope that is modeled better in future maddens. It seems that now, arm strength trumps all rating categories when it should not.

There is a problem with the modeling when Vick is the best quarterback in the history of madden and he was average at best in real life.
Old 07-17-2008, 01:06 PM   #14
Banned

OVR: 4

I think Toms arm was a bit questionable coming into the league, but so was Joe Montanas... Ill take accuracy and timing over strength any day of the week... and then Ill go win some Super Bowls with it...

Over the years, Toms strength has improved a lot due to his weight training program (which I learned about from NFL Films).

Its hard to compare QBs arm strength without some sort of measureable test, but if not #1 Id put Tom in the top 3-5 for arm strength in the league right now.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »