Home

Did Gamestop sell me a used copy as new?

This is a discussion on Did Gamestop sell me a used copy as new? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-22-2008, 03:12 PM   #41
Rookie

OVR: 2
Re: Did Gamestop sell me a used copy as new?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FORMULA316
They're still EB north of the border in Canada. And yes they
would shrinkwrap return copies that were in good condition.
Nowadays the game is usually sealed and if it was opened, it's
because it was the final "display copy".

What pisses me off about EB/GS is that they can take in a really
good quality return and then mess it up with those yellow used
labels with their sticky resin. For the most part I do trade-ins
at a local independant and buy new at Best Buy.
Thats a bunch of BS and heres why;

When GS/EB sells a new game, they make like 5% profit on it. Now, lets say you trade in a game that sells for $60 new and they give you $25 credit for it. Then they sell that copy used for $55. They just made $30 of pure profit. The credit they gave on the trade-in has to be spent in the store, so they don't lose that. Thats why they pimp the used games so hard. They make more money off of used games than they do off of new ones.

If your EB is re-wrapping used games and selling them as new, then their manager is an idiot, and will soon be fired. The company tracks sales dollars of used games and if you don't reach a certain quota every month, it's your ***.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-22-2008, 03:18 PM   #42
Banned

OVR: 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottD413
Thats a bunch of BS and heres why;

When GS/EB sells a new game, they make like 5% profit on it. Now, lets say you trade in a game that sells for $60 new and they give you $25 credit for it. Then they sell that copy used for $55. They just made $30 of pure profit. The credit they gave on the trade-in has to be spent in the store, so they don't lose that. Thats why they pimp the used games so hard. They make more money off of used games than they do off of new ones.

If your EB is re-wrapping used games and selling them as new, then their manager is an idiot, and will soon be fired. The company tracks sales dollars of used games and if you don't reach a certain quota every month, it's your ***.
Yeah, the loot is in the used game sales. This happen when I picked up MLB Pros and it was their last copy. It wasn't a big deal to me. Save me the hassle of taking off the plastic.
Old 08-22-2008, 08:22 PM   #43
Rookie

OVR: 2

I got mine from them and it was sealed so no problems for me i only buy from them if i really want to reserve a game otherwise i stay away from them.
Old 08-22-2008, 08:33 PM   #44
You got the stuff?

Eddie1967's Arena

OVR: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ankido
That is false information, gamestop doesn't open their games. They are all sealed unless you ask for used. They probably asked you and you said used or misunderstood. Trust me, I've been with Gamestop since they were babbages and they've never sold games that were opened brand new. They are always sealed. You might want to call them to make sure they didn't sell you a used copy. There's no such thing as theft, they have only 1 copy that's opened for shelf everything else is sealed and put in drawers.
That may be true for California but it was not in Virginia. This happened a few years ago. They would open all of the games and put them in little plastic disc holders and then when you purchased them they would take the disc out of the drawer and put that inside of the original package and put a piece of tape on it to seal it. I called the better business bureau and asked if this was considered used and they said yes, especially since game stop said that if I brought it back, I would lose money on it. Once that package is opened the game is used. I called the manager of the store on his cell phone went a little crazy and he gave me my full purchase price back. I believe they have stopped doing that at the stores in my area but yes it was gamestop that did that.

Last edited by Eddie1967; 08-22-2008 at 08:39 PM.
Old 08-22-2008, 08:44 PM   #45
MVP

Garrett67's Arena

OVR: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaydigi
Once the seal is broken how is it new? It's in like new condition but it's not new.

Can you pop the seal of Madden right in front of them and get your $59.99 back? I think your only option is exchange for the same title due to disc being defective or getting $35 used.
Yes, you have 7 days to return it I believe. It might not be 7 but you can return it if something is wrong with it.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-22-2008, 11:13 PM   #46
Rookie

OVR: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian_OS
LOL>>> .. uh, what?

GS did that to me once. pissed me off but it was to far of a drive to go make a stink.
That definitely sucks.
Old 08-23-2008, 01:25 PM   #47
MVP

OVR: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottD413
I used to work for Gamestop/EB. They always remove some (usually one) of the disks so that they have an empty box to display on the shelf. That disc is put in a sleve or wrapped in plastic (not sure how they do it now) and then put in a drawer. When all the sealed copies of the game sell out, they sell the display one. That is probably what happened to you, you got the display game. It isn't used, it was just opened.
No it's used. Most stores don't allow you to return open games unless for a replacement for the same item. Once ebgames breaks the factory seal it's used.
Old 08-23-2008, 01:35 PM   #48
MVP

OVR: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrett67
Yes, you have 7 days to return it I believe. It might not be 7 but you can return it if something is wrong with it.

Only for the same item, not for something different. Once I pop the seal on Madden 09 they either give me a new one (replacement) or I can only trade it in.

This is not towards you Garrett67, but I not sure some of you don't get this. Once the seal is broken on a item it's USED or OPEN ITEM. It's that simple.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »