Home

Fixing the Dline Part I - Line Stunts and Aiming Points/Charges

This is a discussion on Fixing the Dline Part I - Line Stunts and Aiming Points/Charges within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-04-2008, 07:04 PM   #1
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 40
Fixing the Dline Part I - Line Stunts and Aiming Points/Charges

I've been in practice mode and just playing offline for the last couple of weeks and have captured some observations concerning the OL and DL besides the obvious ones. On the line stunts you guys really need to give the Dlinemen Aiming Points such as outside shoulder/inside shoulder/hip. I'm seeing guys doing twist stunts and they are going all the way on the other side of the offensive line when they shouldn't.

There is a play in Dime 3-2 or Dollar, Cover 2 Sink. It has the Nickel Back Blitzing and the DE and NT doing a Twist Stunt. The NT's aiming point should be the Outside shoulder of the offensive Guard/Inside Hip of the offensive Tackle. His first step should be toward the Guard. He should cross the Guard's face, use his inside arm and perform a rip move and continue rushing outside and then up the field between Guard and Tackle. The DE should first step toward the outside shoulder of the offensive tackle, then as the Tackle gains penetration, he should charge inside right off of the hip of the DT/NT. He has to stay as close to the Charge of the DT/NT as possible as he charges inside or this thing is not going to work. The way it is in the game the NT takes forever to fire over and he goes all the way to the outside. The DE twist behind him and goes all the way to the other side of the formation

Even on the crash right/left ect, these guys need aiming points. As it stands they are just going too far to particular spots and then turning back in or getting suctioned in. We need for them to have specific aiming points. So if a DT is lined up in a 3 Technique on the right side and I call crash left, he should be aiming for the hip of the Center, but in his charge he is going to cross the face of the Guard and dip and rip. He has to engage that guard, especially if I have the Mike backer looping off of the DT's charge. That guard should not be standing there waiting for the Mike, neither should the DT automatically simply go to the Center just so the Guard can automatically pick up the Mike, like he does in the game in its current state. Just like Olinemen open holes and pave the way for HB's, Dlinemen and other pass rushers open holes/lanes for each other to get to the QB. That's how it should be.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-04-2008, 07:06 PM   #2
Semi-retired

BrianFifaFan's Arena

OVR: 50
Re: Fixing the Dline Part I - Line Stunts and Aiming Points/Charges

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBzrule
I've been in practice mode and just playing offline for the last couple of weeks and have captured some observations concerning the OL and DL besides the obvious ones. On the line stunts you guys really need to give the Dlinemen Aiming Points such as outside shoulder/inside shoulder/hip. I'm seeing guys doing twist stunts and they are going all the way on the other side of the offensive line when they shouldn't.

There is a play in Dime 3-2 or Dollar, Cover 2 Sink. It has the Nickel Back Blitzing and the DE and NT doing a Twist Stunt. The NT's aiming point should be the Outside shoulder of the offensive Guard/Inside Hip of the offensive Tackle. His first step should be toward the Guard. He should cross the Guard's face, use his inside arm and perform a rip move and continue rushing outside and then up the field between Guard and Tackle. The DE should first step toward the outside shoulder of the offensive tackle, then as the Tackle gains penetration, he should charge inside right off of the hip of the DT/NT. He has to stay as close to the Charge of the DT/NT as possible as he charges inside or this thing is not going to work. The way it is in the game the NT takes forever to fire over and he goes all the way to the outside. The DE twist behind him and goes all the way to the other side of the formation

Even on the crash right/left ect, these guys need aiming points. As it stands they are just going too far to particular spots and then turning back in or getting suctioned in. We need for them to have specific aiming points. So if a DT is lined up in a 3 Technique on the right side and I call crash left, he should be aiming for the hip of the Center, but in his charge he is going to cross the face of the Guard and dip and rip. He has to engage that guard, especially if I have the Mike backer looping off of the DT's charge. That guard should not be standing there waiting for the Mike, neither should the DT automatically simply go to the Center just so the Guard can automatically pick up the Mike, like he does in the game in its current state. Just like Olinemen open holes and pave the way for HB's, Dlinemen and other pass rushers open holes/lanes for each other to get to the QB. That's how it should be.
Man, it's good to see some new input from you. Good stuff, as always.

A great product sells itself, no "back of the box" features required! (See Fifa...)

Old 09-04-2008, 07:33 PM   #3
Rookie

OVR: 4

I agree completely. One other thing about the dline that doesn't work right for me is that when i try and overload one side of the oline the defensive linemen and the blitzers tend to get bogged up on each other. Its like everyone trys to hit the same gap.
Old 09-04-2008, 07:58 PM   #4
Most Valuable Pepe

baumy300's Arena

OVR: 40

Great post!

I can only hope and pray that EA redesigns the way the defense plays.
It makes me sad
I post the frog
Old 09-04-2008, 08:30 PM   #5
49ers

adembroski's Arena

OVR: 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by baumy300
Great post!

I can only hope and pray that EA redesigns the way the defense plays.
Pretty sure we have confirmation this is the direction they're taking this year.

I personally have a lot of faith in this leadership team, I think 2010 is going to redefine video game football. Just seeing the difference these guys made making 2009 playable in the 3 months they were on the project (and Ian NOT being on the project but making a difference) has been impressive.

The first kind is wrong. The second is superfluous.

The only difference between reality and fiction is that fiction needs to be credible.
-Mark Twain.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-04-2008, 08:46 PM   #6
Semi-retired

BrianFifaFan's Arena

OVR: 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by adembroski
Pretty sure we have confirmation this is the direction they're taking this year.

I personally have a lot of faith in this leadership team, I think 2010 is going to redefine video game football. Just seeing the difference these guys made making 2009 playable in the 3 months they were on the project (and Ian NOT being on the project but making a difference) has been impressive.
I'd have to co-sign. One thing I'd like to mention is it's been really cool getting to talk to Ian, both playing him at Madden and Fifa. That's when it goes from lifeless words in a message board to you realising how much he cares about this game. Maybe if some of the persons on this board could make that connection, it'd be a bit different. That's not fanboy talk. That's a person who has met Ian in cyberspace over Xbox Live. MAyb some guys should try to envision Ian the person, not Ian the faceless drone for Tiburon. What's funny is that Ian loves this kinda stuff like LBZ brings. He wants the game to be as good as we do. I have faith. And maybe next year he'll make a game as good as Fifa!

A great product sells itself, no "back of the box" features required! (See Fifa...)

Old 09-04-2008, 09:26 PM   #7
49ers

adembroski's Arena

OVR: 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianFifaFan
I'd have to co-sign. One thing I'd like to mention is it's been really cool getting to talk to Ian, both playing him at Madden and Fifa. That's when it goes from lifeless words in a message board to you realising how much he cares about this game. Maybe if some of the persons on this board could make that connection, it'd be a bit different. That's not fanboy talk. That's a person who has met Ian in cyberspace over Xbox Live. MAyb some guys should try to envision Ian the person, not Ian the faceless drone for Tiburon. What's funny is that Ian loves this kinda stuff like LBZ brings. He wants the game to be as good as we do. I have faith. And maybe next year he'll make a game as good as Fifa!
I, unfortunately, have not had the chance to play Ian online w/ voice. Neither of us had a working mic when he destroyed me. I know through our conversations through PM what you're talking about though. I wonder if that's why I see it differently than a lot of people... a one on one connection with someone who I know cares deeply about the product.

Sorry OT a moment here---

I'd really like to know what triggered the FIFA revolution. It was light years behind Winning Eleven and in just 2-3 years it took off. Just an amazing and sudden advancement.

I wonder how much of it came down to WE/PES moving in on the United States, which was FIFA's by default before. Since few Americans really *know* soccer, more of them were willing to put up with the shortcomings of the FIFA franchise, but WE showing up sorta showed them the way. FIFA started making MASSIVE strides at that point, and now I'd say, gameplay wise, they're close enough that FIFA's graphics and licenses tip the scales.

Not to mention PES/WE has been on a downward slop since WE7i.

The first kind is wrong. The second is superfluous.

The only difference between reality and fiction is that fiction needs to be credible.
-Mark Twain.

Last edited by adembroski; 09-04-2008 at 09:29 PM.
Old 09-05-2008, 01:30 AM   #8
MVP

OVR: 52

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBzrule

Got any video examples? Those are always helpful.

Our first mocap shoot just got officially booked today for next month - 3 full days (and we have over 7 full days still to schedule).

I'll give you a teaser on the shoot - here are the positions we are hiring for the shoot right now:

Day 1: 2 RB's, 2 LB's, 1 "tackling dummy" guy
Day 2: 1 FB, 1 LB, 1 OL, 1 DL
Day 3: 1 WR, 1 DB, 1 QB

Thought you guys would like that mocap team.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »