Home

AGREE/DISAGREE: Scrap Madden 2010, start fresh with "Madden NFL Football"

This is a discussion on AGREE/DISAGREE: Scrap Madden 2010, start fresh with "Madden NFL Football" within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-08-2008, 03:15 PM   #57
Pro

bfindeisen's Arena

OVR: 11
Re: AGREE/DISAGREE: Scrap Madden 2010, start fresh with "Madden NFL Football"

Quote:
Originally Posted by countryboy
WTF?

All I said is that people enjoy the game, faults and all, but it seems that if someone mentions they enjoy the game in this forum then someone like the user I quoted or you, come in and try to explain how wrong that person is for enjoying the game.

Its so sad that people who enjoy the game can't discuss it without being made out to be idiots, fanboys, Pollyannas. It seems that the only way your opinion is vaild on this board right now is if you're bitching about the issues.

I understand that the game has faults, bugs, glitches, or whatever you want to call them, but that doesn't stop me from enjoying the game. If that makes me a Pollyanna, fanboy, or an idiot well then, so be it. I am enjoying the game. I know, crazy ain't it? Someone enjoying an EA football title.

Silly CB, Madden is created each year so people can bitch about the game, not enjoy it.
I feel like most of the negativity is being misdirected at people like you who enjoy the game because perhaps you have different expectations of what the game should be. Given your signature, it is clear to see that you aren't necessarily a "sim" gamer, or one that plays for realism. I am not criticizing this, as I wish I wasn't so obsessive and could get over the fact that the other team has the wrong punt returner, etc.

However, for the more discerning gamer, it has been nothing but disappointment since next-gen Madden began. All this frustration that has been building up over the years. Now I could go on to list all of the faults, but this has been beaten to death...

With that being said, I feel I am not alone when I say the "improvements" made to Madden since next-gen was unveiled has been absolutely laughable. So, when you casually brush off all the glaring shortcomings to praise how fun the game is, it kind of sets off those of us who maybe take the game to seriously (especially at $60).

Just a classic battle between the frustrated sim gamer vs. the content casual gamer.
Old 09-08-2008, 03:18 PM   #58
Pro

bfindeisen's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikes1
Yes...it has issues, some I would even consider inexcusable for a football game being developed in the year 2008, and year four of this generation. The most basic of "football things" should not be wrong at this point....plain and simple. It is kind of puzzling how a developer as powerful as EA would allow some of these most basic of errors to be released to the public. Time IMO...should never be an issue/excuse, for not having the basics covered.
This perfectly sums up why hardcore "Sim" gamers can't stand playing EA next-gen football.
Old 09-08-2008, 03:23 PM   #59
Semi-retired

BrianFifaFan's Arena

OVR: 50

Okay, this thread is starting to get personal. Let's keep it civil and on-topic or it will go away. Thanks, Brian

A great product sells itself, no "back of the box" features required! (See Fifa...)

Old 09-08-2008, 03:25 PM   #60
Then..Now...Forever

countryboy's Arena

OVR: 62

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfindeisen
I feel like most of the negativity is being misdirected at people like you who enjoy the game because perhaps you have different expectations of what the game should be. Given your signature, it is clear to see that you aren't necessarily a "sim" gamer, or one that plays for realism.
Sorry, but you could not be more wrong with your assessment of the type of gamer I am. I am a sim-head. Always have been. My signature is not just about Madden, but all games in general. The thing is, I don't get all caught up in what the game does wrong, I just focus on what it does right and enjoy the game for what it is.

Sure, I want sports games to reflect what I see on TV right down to the last miniscule, but have come to the conclusion that its never going to happen. Our expectations, and differences in opinions, will never allow any one video game to be perfect, much less sports games. I play the game and determine whether or not its fun and enjoyable the way it is. If it is, I play it, if not I move on. I don't have the time, patience, or the willingness to sit around and moan and groan about whats wrong with a game. Its either fun or it isn't. It either fills my need or it doesn't. For me, there is no in between.

I miss the old days of Operation Sports :(

Louisville Cardinals/St.Louis Cardinals
Old 09-08-2008, 03:38 PM   #61
Pro

bfindeisen's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by countryboy
Sorry, but you could not be more wrong with your assessment of the type of gamer I am. I am a sim-head. Always have been. My signature is not just about Madden, but all games in general. The thing is, I don't get all caught up in what the game does wrong, I just focus on what it does right and enjoy the game for what it is.

Sure, I want sports games to reflect what I see on TV right down to the last miniscule, but have come to the conclusion that its never going to happen. Our expectations, and differences in opinions, will never allow any one video game to be perfect, much less sports games. I play the game and determine whether or not its fun and enjoyable the way it is. If it is, I play it, if not I move on. I don't have the time, patience, or the willingness to sit around and moan and groan about whats wrong with a game. Its either fun or it isn't. It either fills my need or it doesn't. For me, there is no in between.
I am sorry if you feel I characterized you incorrectly...I have no intention of belittling or offending you...but how can you call yourself a sim-head and be satisfied with this game? I think most would agree it has remained stagnant or even taken a step back in the realism dept. since next-gen inception. I was completely satisfied with this game pre 2004-05, but then NFL 2k5 made me see the light. To combat your claim that it will never be possible to mimic what we see on TV, just look at the NBA2k series. Sure, its not perfect, but it has made tremedous strides in areas we've been asking for improvement for years (presentation, gameplay, signature style), so don't tell me its impossible. We been asking for this from Madden for years and we get nuthin -- thats why EA and Madden take a lot of heat.

P.S. Sorry to the MODs for getting off topic, had to get this out.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-08-2008, 03:42 PM   #62
Pro

bfindeisen's Arena

To Clarify: I am not saying you can't say its a fun game, or bashing you for doing so... I'm just curious how you can say you want simulation while praising a game that has done very poorly in this area.
Old 09-08-2008, 03:52 PM   #63
Then..Now...Forever

countryboy's Arena

Quote:
To Clarify: I am not saying you can't say its a fun game, or bashing you for doing so... I'm just curious how you can say you want simulation while praising a game that has done very poorly in this area.
Brian, sorry man...

This is what pisses me off to no end. Because I find satisfaction and feel the game is sim, I have to once again "answer for my opinion". Its ridiculous. Oh, and thanks for telling that I can say its fun, I don't wanna go against the popular consensus on this board too much, for fear of being "called out" for my opinion.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. Its sad that someone who enjoys the game for what it is and gets their football fix from the game, can't say so in a forum dedicated to said game, without someone coming in and tellling them how wrong they are, or someone wanting an explanation for ones opinion. If you disagree thats cool. But don't act as if I am somehow wrong or confused for enjoying the game in the manner I do.

Yes, I find the game to be a good simulation of the sport. Yes, I have fun with the game. Why is that so wrong? When in the hell did it become a crime against the gaming world to enjoy Madden football. Its ridiculous. I have my opinion, you have yours. And if there are aspects we disagree about, then thats fine to. But I do not appreciate having to defend my opinion because its against the popular consensus of this forum.

Old 09-08-2008, 03:59 PM   #64
Then..Now...Forever

countryboy's Arena

Quote:
I am sorry if you feel I characterized you incorrectly...I have no intention of belittling or offending you...but how can you call yourself a sim-head and be satisfied with this game? I think most would agree it has remained stagnant or even taken a step back in the realism dept. since next-gen inception. I was completely satisfied with this game pre 2004-05, but then NFL 2k5 made me see the light. To combat your claim that it will never be possible to mimic what we see on TV, just look at the NBA2k series. Sure, its not perfect, but it has made tremedous strides in areas we've been asking for improvement for years (presentation, gameplay, signature style), so don't tell me its impossible. We been asking for this from Madden for years and we get nuthin -- thats why EA and Madden take a lot of heat.

P.S. Sorry to the MODs for getting off topic, had to get this out.
How can I call myself a sim head, because I know myself. Trust me, after living with myself for almost 30 years, I've learned a thing or two about myself. And one of those is that I am a sim gamer. Yep, sure as shootin. I am a sim gamer.

And 2k5 made you see the light? Well congratulations my friend. Glad you hold something in that high of regard.

Ok maybe impossible isn't the correct term to use when it comes to video games mimmicking what you see on TV, maybe it can be done, but as of today, not one single game has done so. Not Madden, NCAA, NHL, NBA LIVE, The Show, MLB 2K, nor NBA 2K. Not one of them has truly mimmicked what I see on TV in regard to their repsective sport. Not one.

I don't know why you feel the need to single me out. I guess because I am not afraid to show my enjoyment for the Madden series and EA in general. I guess that bothers you for some reason. Why I don't know. I guess we are all entitled to opinions, so long as they follow the format of "hating EA". If you don't like my boisterious appreciation for Madden and EA, then put my name on ignore and leave me the hell alone. And I'll be sure to do the same.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »