Home

Madden 09 Dominates US Sales in August

This is a discussion on Madden 09 Dominates US Sales in August within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-15-2008, 08:12 PM   #41
Banned

OVR: 11
Re: Madden 09 Dominates US Sales in August

Quote:
Originally Posted by mva5580
I agree with this guy entirely. Sure, an NFL2K 10 would be highly anticipated, but not by enough people for it to matter. Madden would outsell it 2 to 1, easily. Maybe even 3 to 1.

Maybe in the past this would be true, but with Madden's failures these past few years, I don't think this is the case anymore. The ONLY reason 2k8 failed is because it wasn't very deep (no franchise) and it didn't have the NFL license.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-15-2008, 08:51 PM   #42
DickDalewood

OVR:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJenness
Maybe in the past this would be true, but with Madden's failures these past few years, I don't think this is the case anymore. The ONLY reason 2k8 failed is because it wasn't very deep (no franchise) and it didn't have the NFL license.
You guys just arent getting the point. THE AVERAGE JOE doesn't see these past Maddens as failures. Look at the sales numbers! Every Day Gamer Guy buys Madden every year because it's mindless fun and because it says Madden on the cover and that's the game everyone buys and plays.

These players aren't sitting around wishing there were no exclusive license, these players are sitting down playing Madden, using its exploits and cheese and having a blast doing it, year in and year out. All of these complaints and "EA ISN'T SIM" war crys are not the opinions of the masses, they are the opinions of message board/internet junkies and game critics.

Madden will always sell. It sold when there WAS competition, it sells without, and will continue to sell if competition returns.

It's beyond being a game, it has become tradition, and that is a VERY hard thing to break.

Old 09-16-2008, 12:18 AM   #43
Rookie

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by dickdalewood
You guys just arent getting the point. THE AVERAGE JOE doesn't see these past Maddens as failures. Look at the sales numbers! Every Day Gamer Guy buys Madden every year because it's mindless fun and because it says Madden on the cover and that's the game everyone buys and plays.

These players aren't sitting around wishing there were no exclusive license, these players are sitting down playing Madden, using its exploits and cheese and having a blast doing it, year in and year out. All of these complaints and "EA ISN'T SIM" war crys are not the opinions of the masses, they are the opinions of message board/internet junkies and game critics.

Madden will always sell. It sold when there WAS competition, it sells without, and will continue to sell if competition returns.

It's beyond being a game, it has become tradition, and that is a VERY hard thing to break.
Exactly...exactly.
Old 09-16-2008, 01:00 AM   #44
All Star

SoxFan01605's Arena

OVR: 38

Quote:

That's very true. To add, I would again remind people that in order to lure long time Madden loyalists to 2K5, 2K had to drop the pricepoint to get people to at least try it (and many of those buyers also bought Madden. 2K had no intentions of keeping the price at 19.99 over the long haul and I'm sure they would lose some customers on that point alone. The majority of the people who play this game don't even care that 2K is not in the picture. They love Madden and nothing short of a disaster (a real one, not the streaming list of hyperbole that you see on sites such as this) will change that.

Like it or not, Madden is so entrenched in the videogame world it's become it's own brand of football. People will buy Madden regardless of what 2K does. Plus, as many of the people lamenting the exclusivity deal have put on repeat, competition will breed better games. I highly doubt, between the fanbase Madden has already built coupled with the resources they have to compete, that 2K would just take over in year 1.
Old 09-16-2008, 02:02 AM   #45
Banned

sois's Arena

OVR: 24

The only thing that can derail the Madden gravy train is catastrophic mistakes EA inflicts on itself a la WCW in the late 90's. They dominated the pro wrestling scene but ran their product into the ground.

Madden's quirks and glitches may annoy us, but hardly any casual gamers notice them. Do you think Joe Sixpack cares that Kerry Collins career stats are messed up? Nah. As long as he can heave it up to to Moss a few times a week, JS is satisfied.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-16-2008, 12:47 PM   #46
stewaat

OVR:

Next gen Madden quality has lost my business. I no longer will buy this game until they fix the gameplay.

Chalk me up as one of the sales they didn't earn.

Oh and the commercials are terrible IMO. The one with the dad and daughter made me want to never buy Madden again.

Old 09-16-2008, 08:36 PM   #47
Pro

Ankido's Arena

OVR: 14

Quote:
Sorry bro, but while you're correct on the "legend" that 2K has become, you are sorely mistaken to think that an NFL 2K10 would outsell Madden.

You actually make my point for me, stating that 2K has become legendary IN THE GAMING COMMUNITY. What you're failing to realize, however, is how small that community is compared to the masses. Spend a day walking the streets and ask random Joe Gamer what the greatest NFL game/franchise is and 2K won't even be a breath on their lips.

Madden is a machine, plain and simple. All of my friends, all of my friends friends, they LOVE Madden... absolutely love it. Don't be fooled into thinking that the opinions on these boards, or any internet boards for that matter, or the majority.

Now, having said all that, and while I really enjoy Madden this year, I would buy an NFL 2K game in a SECOND if it ever happened again.

It probably won't, but it would definitely be nice.
You are sadly mistaken my friend. The reason why Madden Football is so popular because of the man behind the game and that is John Madden. Throw in rap music and famous people hyping and playing the game and you'll have yourself the hottest game on the planet. I don't care if it's stick figures on the field, those elements will make any game popular. Most of the Madden players were young kids who know nothing about the game and only plan on buying to play while most of us here which is only a handful at OS buy to test and give feedback.

I've played Madden since the glory days of Sega and the day NBA2K & NFL2K hit the scene, my jaw dropped to the ground and I have yet to pick it up. It's clear that Sega Sports is the leader in sports gaming and EA took a cheap shot to get them out of the market. Most of the madden sales comes from players who don't care about glitches and bugs. They just play to play. We analyze madden to the fullest and when the obvious is revealed guys like me get slapped with infractions. So this probably my last post before I'm banned but I'd like to thank EA for destroying the video game industry. They will soon realize that competition would have been the best thing for them because then they could counter react with same features to keep the community. A handful of pissed off members @ OS is not going to make madden any better.
Old 09-16-2008, 08:44 PM   #48
Semi-retired

BrianFifaFan's Arena

OVR: 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ankido
You are sadly mistaken my friend. The reason why Madden Football is so popular because of the man behind the game and that is John Madden. Throw in rap music and famous people hyping and playing the game and you'll have yourself the hottest game on the planet. I don't care if it's stick figures on the field, those elements will make any game popular. Most of the Madden players were young kids who know nothing about the game and only plan on buying to play while most of us here which is only a handful at OS buy to test and give feedback.

I've played Madden since the glory days of Sega and the day NBA2K & NFL2K hit the scene, my jaw dropped to the ground and I have yet to pick it up. It's clear that Sega Sports is the leader in sports gaming and EA took a cheap shot to get them out of the market. Most of the madden sales comes from players who don't care about glitches and bugs. They just play to play. We analyze madden to the fullest and when the obvious is revealed guys like me get slapped with infractions. So this probably my last post before I'm banned but I'd like to thank EA for destroying the video game industry. They will soon realize that competition would have been the best thing for them because then they could counter react with same features to keep the community. A handful of pissed off members @ OS is not going to make madden any better.
Chill out. If you like 2k and think it's superior, cool. A lot of people do here. We have a section for that. What you are doing is trolling the Madden forum. You don't buy or like Madden, so move along. Since you want to play the martyr in public, I'll refuse to make you one in public and explain why you get infractions. Maybe others will understand a bit better. Now if you insist in continuing down this road, you'll get yourself in trouble. Thanks, Brian

A great product sells itself, no "back of the box" features required! (See Fifa...)

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »