Home

Old 10-29-2008, 09:40 AM   #9
MVP

OVR: 10
Re: Why?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJdaSportsGuy
What a completely original and thoughtful post. You come up with that all by yourself?

Are you kidding something that clever I had A LOT of help on it, to many people to name and I do not want to leave anyone out so I wont name any!
Old 10-29-2008, 10:33 AM   #10
MVP

OVR: 52

To jump in and correct a few incorrect assumptions - the NFL rule states that clipping is both an illegal block below the waist OR a block in the back.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/America...by_either_team

To MJenness -
- We can't have unnecessary roughness / late hits because as soon as we enable it people would exploit it and post videos all over the place - something the NFL just won't approve
- Illegal forward pass I've been looking into implementing
- Ineligible receiver downfield I've also been looking into implementing
- Illegal touching is a tricky one (i.e. a WR running out of bounds then back in)...I'm trying really hard on this one but there are a bunch of issues with CPU logic that need to be addressed before we turn this one on. I was thinking maybe if we had it in as a slider (and shipped the default slider at zero), then you guys could tweak it up and find a value where it doesn't get called TOO often and neuter the offense.

Even still, all of the above aren't very easy to implement at all - but I am definitely looking into them for you guys. They are things that I've always wanted but honestly I never thought the general public even cared about (until I started communicating back and forth with you guys).
Old 10-29-2008, 10:38 AM   #11
Rookie

OVR: 1

If it's in the game, we want it IN the game.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-29-2008, 11:29 AM   #12
MVP

OVR: 25

How about the individuals calling these penalties? Will we have refs on the field during gameplay sometime soon?
Old 10-29-2008, 12:04 PM   #13
Banned

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian_Cummings_EA
To jump in and correct a few incorrect assumptions - the NFL rule states that clipping is both an illegal block below the waist OR a block in the back. fficeffice" />>>
Quote:

To MJenness - >>
- We can't have unnecessary roughness / late hits because as soon as we enable it people would exploit it and post videos all over the place - something the NFL just won't approve>>
- Illegal forward pass I've been looking into implementing>>
- Ineligible receiver downfield I've also been looking into implementing>>
- Illegal touching is a tricky one (i.e. a WR running out of bounds then back in)...I'm trying really hard on this one but there are a bunch of issues with CPU logic that need to be addressed before we turn this one on. I was thinking maybe if we had it in as a slider (and shipped the default slider at zero), then you guys could tweak it up and find a value where it doesn't get called TOO often and neuter the offense. >>

Even still, all of the above aren't very easy to implement at all - but I am definitely looking into them for you guys. They are things that I've always wanted but honestly I never thought the general public even cared about (until I started communicating back and forth with you guys).
>>

Ian, have you played All Pro football 2k8? They have late hits, and its more so a smooth animation of a guy either comming in late after the play and tagging someone who is already down (not even a violent animation). Or hitting a WR after the ball is clearly over thrown. Its nothing vicious and its implemented so smooth it really adds to realism as the guy who does the late hit.. always looks around as if the flag shouldn't have been thrown, consider the window to late hit is extremely small. Its really cool and it happens in real life. >>

What I don't get is how the "NFL" wouldn't except this when it was in NFL 2k1 - NFL 2k5? >>

The other penalties you said were difficult to make are also in "the other game" and implemented really well. I don't understand how after four plus years it can be all that difficult given the current growth in technology. Then again, im not a game developer.>>

Man its so frustrating to play a game like NBA 2k9 and see the real simulation and awesome game play match. I.e. while shooting free throws in my franchise I heard the reporter say things like "The Hawks are 7-1 and a large part is because *then she went on to discuss our points in the paint and key players*. WHY CAN'T MADDEN DO THIS?!!!??? >>

After every quarter in NBA 2K9 the game seems like it’s about to head to a commercial and it shows really incredible highlights of key plays and player emotions... Things like this just really add to the emersion factor. >>

And another thing that bugs me is the side lines.. But thats a whole different story.. again see All Pro Football.. I just don't understand with the money and reesources EA has.. why this game isn't up to par

Oh well im going to buy 2010 and continue to hope things change.
Old 10-29-2008, 01:31 PM   #14
Most Valuable Pepe

baumy300's Arena

OVR: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetpac

Ian, have you played All Pro football 2k8? They have late hits, and its more so a smooth animation of a guy either comming in late after the play and tagging someone who is already down
Does APF have the NFL license to answer to?
It makes me sad
I post the frog
Old 10-29-2008, 01:59 PM   #15
Rookie

burne's Arena

OVR: 6

Quote:
To jump in and correct a few incorrect assumptions - the NFL rule states that clipping is both an illegal block below the waist OR a block in the back.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/America...by_either_team

To MJenness -
- We can't have unnecessary roughness / late hits because as soon as we enable it people would exploit it and post videos all over the place - something the NFL just won't approve
- Illegal forward pass I've been looking into implementing
- Ineligible receiver downfield I've also been looking into implementing
- Illegal touching is a tricky one (i.e. a WR running out of bounds then back in)...I'm trying really hard on this one but there are a bunch of issues with CPU logic that need to be addressed before we turn this one on. I was thinking maybe if we had it in as a slider (and shipped the default slider at zero), then you guys could tweak it up and find a value where it doesn't get called TOO often and neuter the offense.

Explain what you mean by a slider for illegal touching? It's a pretty binary situation, the guy either went out of bounds or he didn't... I'm not quite sure what the slider would do or what the difficulty in implementation is for this one. Quite frankly, I would be very upset if it was ever not called after a receiver stepped out of bounds and then caught the ball. Or dropped it. In fact it already does upset me in goalline situations where the CPU calls plays with streaks in them, the guys run out the back of the endzone, and the CPU pegs them the ball as they run back in.

If the problem is that receivers run out of bounds on their own- well that's a different issue altogether and one that should absolutely be addressed on its own grounds. Receivers should be smarter about the sideline in general, but I don't see why there's a whole lot of "issues with CPU logic". I am a programmer, and I can't imagine what kind of code you'd have to have that would make it difficult to at the very least make receivers cut off their routes before they go out of bounds.

Last edited by burne; 10-29-2008 at 02:02 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-29-2008, 02:03 PM   #16
Banned

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by baumy300
Does APF have the NFL license to answer to?

Try to read it helps, I also said 2k1-2k5 had late hits as well and they DID have the NFL license to answer too.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »