Home

Any hope of 3d grass returning in 2010?

This is a discussion on Any hope of 3d grass returning in 2010? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-01-2008, 09:11 PM   #25
Rookie

OVR: 3
Re: Any hope of 3d grass returning in 2010?

Damn three dimensional grass? weed heads rejoice!!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-01-2008, 09:44 PM   #26
Pro

OVR: 11

Here ya go Phil. ( Actually im gonna go ahead and make my own thread on it, so I can see more peoples opinions )

Alright so again, my main concerns are the uniforming textures and fitting, and the lighting.

Lighting: Madden 07 completely nailed it in my opinion, it was bright, it was vibrant, and you could actually see the player models. You see the closeness in lighting between pic 1 and pic 2? They both have that nice shine, and the lighting is not dull at all. Pic 3 however, that shine is not there, and the uniform lighting seems very dull and out of place, usually this doesen't change at all, no matter what place you are on the field in 09.

Real life:

07:

09:

Textures (this benefited from 07's lighting)

The uniform textures were very crisp, and hi res in 07.. so far the most rewarding thing I've seen in Madden for HDTV owners .. it was just beautiful. In the comparison pics though, its just simple how much of a difference from 07 to 09 there is, not much to point out. But the one thing I can point out, is that you can see every little detail on the 07 pic, while 09's uniforms just seem like an odd blurry mess. I will add that it was nice to be able to zoom in all the way and see actual threading on the jerseys, but THAT much detail IMO isn't really necessary.. not at this point in time at least.

Real life:

07:

09:

Uniform fitting:

Something about 09's uniforms looks really off to me.. it's probably that you guys tried too hard to make the jerseys look.. like material, but in the process just made it look like a really thick piece of cloth.
In real life, most jerseys fit very tight around the shoulder pads, and most definetely the NFL. While they fit very tight, they're also very elastic.. which is why those wrinkles are there.. I've noticed though that some teams have really tight fitting uniforms (Colts) while others have more loose uniforms (Panthers) If you guys could do details like that, that'd be awesome.

Alright, in the 07 pic, you can tell it still doesen't exactly capture the elasticity of a real life jersey, but I think it is much, much closer than 09 is.. the jersey is tight around his body while not going overboard with trying to make it look like material.

The 09 pic, you can kind of see the lump im talking about around Ginn's lower abdomen, THAT right there is the main concern as far as fitting for me, it really takes away the athletic look to me.. and for some reason that lump shows the most to me on skill players ..?

Real life:

07:

09:

PHEW! I finally finished this post .. only took me 2 hours of saving and picking up where I left off after a computer crash every 5 min :/

Last edited by Unforgiven; 12-01-2008 at 09:50 PM.
Old 12-01-2008, 09:52 PM   #27
MVP

OVR: 27

Another thing you'll notice about 07, which I pointed out in the Wishlist thread, is that they used focus/out-of-focus image softening for backgrounds. They nailed it with that.

Unfortunately, in 09 they fogged backgrounds out and it was the wrong approach because camera's don't fog out background and distant objects, it simply softens them naturally.

About lighting, check me out: http://www.operationsports.com/forum...ere-light.html
Old 12-04-2008, 07:42 PM   #28
EA Game Changer

OVR: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil_Frazier_EA
What specific detail are you talking about? I don't want to assume before I attempt to answer your question.

Making 'improvements' to our player model was an important part of our quest to achieve 60FPS. I quoted improvements because the goal was to simplify the model (i.e. do it cheaper) but while maintaining the overal visual quality. We were pretty happy with the result.

I'm curious to know which part of the models you don't like? Is the helmet off? The 'shape' of the players? The uniform textures? The amount of gear they have? Just trying to narrow down your feedback.

Phil
The biggest thing I notice between 07 and 09 is the jersey texture. The jerseys now seem quite 'one-layered', specifically at the numbers and names. In 07, the numbers and name looked like it was layered on top of the jersey which made it stuck out and had it's own texture. Helmets had more gloss as well and look more metallic then currently.
Old 12-04-2008, 10:49 PM   #29
Banned

OVR: 25

Madden '09 has a smokey like effect that dilutes the color depth. Also, the shadowing seems overdone.

As for the player models...why can't Madden scale back to player model detail (faces, skin hairs, etc) to make room for gameplay smoothness??? Maybe even consider going back to 30 frames if it makes the game better...
Old 12-04-2008, 11:05 PM   #30
MVP

OVR: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guillotine 1
Madden '09 has a smokey like effect that dilutes the color depth. Also, the shadowing seems overdone.

As for the player models...why can't Madden scale back to player model detail (faces, skin hairs, etc) to make room for gameplay smoothness??? Maybe even consider going back to 30 frames if it makes the game better...
I'd prefer they go back to 30 frames rather than cutting detail. Detail was way down in 08 and that game looked really weak.

The animation system is smooth enough now, it will run fine at 30 frames. Football is such an eye-candy heavy sport. 09 looked nice, arguably the best ever. But we all know that at 30 frames it would look even better. They have to consider that if the game looks eye-popping and the animations move right, people are going to drool. And let's face it, the casuals buy games they see commercials for because it looks cool. They aren't thinking about a framerate so they'd never pay attention to it being 30 or 60, but they can certainly tell the difference in terms of graphic detail because it's immediately obvious.
Old 12-04-2008, 11:46 PM   #31
MVP

OVR: 25

Ian has said many times that 60 FPS is not negotiable.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-05-2008, 01:04 PM   #32
Rookie

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexBrady
Ian has said many times that 60 FPS is not negotiable.
Im glad that 60fps is locked down. But maybe next time they'll release realistic screenshots of what to expect for the generation. People still want that shot of Strahan to happen this generation when in fact it'll prolly be 2-3 generations away.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »