Home

I wonder if Potential or Learning (ala HC09) will be attributes in Madden 2010?

This is a discussion on I wonder if Potential or Learning (ala HC09) will be attributes in Madden 2010? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-17-2009, 06:57 PM   #17
Live Action, please?

jfsolo's Arena

OVR: 20
Re: I wonder if Potential or Learning (ala HC09) will be attributes in Madden 2010?

I'm not even going to allow myself to dream that this might make it into Madden this year. I'm going with the mindset that there is no chance, but if it does, I'll be on Cloud Nine.

Do this today: Instead of $%*#!@& on a game you're not going to play or movie you're not going to watch, say something good about a piece of media you're excited about.

Do the same thing tomorrow. And the next. Now do it forever.
Old 02-17-2009, 07:00 PM   #18
49ers

adembroski's Arena

OVR: 43
Re: I wonder if Potential or Learning (ala HC09) will be attributes in Madden 2010?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmccormi
That is a fair point, but I am curious to see how well this reflects late-round gems and what not.

Let's say they use this system, what POT rating would they give to a guy like Tom Brady??? Now clearly a lot of scouts did not see much potential in him or ability... For the sake of the discussion, let's say EA gives him a 70 rating with 75 potential.

So Bledsoe goes down within a year (was Brady a rookie that year?) and Brady steps in. Surely this isn't enough time for him to learn and improve to the level we saw him play to, but given his continued success, how would you justify leaving him at a 75 because that was his potential?

I'm sorry, I don't mean to be rude or anything, I'm just tryign to understand yyours and HCs perspective on the matter. I don't understand yyour concept of playing well doesn't mean you got better, either you weren't that bad to start with or you have indeed improved your ability in some way shape or form.
Brady's potential was 99 all along, it's just that nobody knew it.

The first kind is wrong. The second is superfluous.

The only difference between reality and fiction is that fiction needs to be credible.
-Mark Twain.
Old 02-17-2009, 07:05 PM   #19
Banned

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by adembroski
Brady's potential was 99 all along, it's just that nobody knew it.
Lol, so I take it that means we're just going to have a roster full of Future HOFers we'll never know about
Old 02-17-2009, 07:26 PM   #20
49ers

adembroski's Arena

Quote:
Lol, so I take it that means we're just going to have a roster full of Future HOFers we'll never know about
Well, the way FOF does it is you get a range rather than a hard number. 75% of the time, the actual attribute is somewhere in the middle... some ranges are smaller than others.

The way I would do it is to have potential displayed at a description. The potential field wouldn't have a number, it'd have some estimate. "could become a career pro bowler if he shores up his weaknesses", "the next Payton Manning", things like that. For guys like Brady, it would say something like "Probably a career backup, but has huge upside if he can grasp the pro game quickly".

There would still be a number in there in the background, but WE would never be absolutely sure... we'd get an estimate and have to make decisions based on that, just as is done in real life. Brady spent his college career on the bench IIRC... he wouldn't have been drafted if people didn't know he had SOMETHING.

The only difference between reality and fiction is that fiction needs to be credible.
-Mark Twain.
Old 02-17-2009, 07:33 PM   #21
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by adembroski
Well, the way FOF does it is you get a range rather than a hard number. 75% of the time, the actual attribute is somewhere in the middle... some ranges are smaller than others.

The way I would do it is to have potential displayed at a description. The potential field wouldn't have a number, it'd have some estimate. "could become a career pro bowler if he shores up his weaknesses", "the next Payton Manning", things like that. For guys like Brady, it would say something like "Probably a career backup, but has huge upside if he can grasp the pro game quickly".

There would still be a number in there in the background, but WE would never be absolutely sure... we'd get an estimate and have to make decisions based on that, just as is done in real life. Brady spent his college career on the bench IIRC... he wouldn't have been drafted if people didn't know he had SOMETHING.
Just curious, but what does FOF stand for? (edit: Front Office Football i'm guessing?, is that a computer game or something?)

Everything else you said I loved though, especially the range aspect and the written evaluation over the strict number interpretation. Maybe if we had full staffing control, like hiring different scouts and whatnot, different positions or playyers would have a more accurate range of their potential or skill sets.

BTW, completely forgot Bradyy backed up Henson at Michigan... I wonder if Pioli or Belicheck spotted Brady, gotta give a lot of credit to whoever saw something.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-17-2009, 07:47 PM   #22
MVP

OVR: 39

Its was probably an area scout who said something to the National Scouting Director who then said something to the Pro Player VP (Pioli) who said something to the HC (Belicheck). Once they all had a chance to evaluate via tapes, combine and interviews..usually a scout will argue for a guy during pre-draft preperation.

There is no doubt Belicheck made the final decision. But he relied on Pioli's judgement a great deal.
Old 02-17-2009, 07:49 PM   #23
49ers

adembroski's Arena

Quote:
Just curious, but what does FOF stand for? (edit: Front Office Football i'm guessing?, is that a computer game or something?)
Front Office Football, yes. Text based sim... think Head Coach without the graphics.

Quote:
Everything else you said I loved though, especially the range aspect and the written evaluation over the strict number interpretation. Maybe if we had full staffing control, like hiring different scouts and whatnot, different positions or playyers would have a more accurate range of their potential or skill sets.
That would be outstanding. I've always liked the idea of franchise mode as almost a coach-based RPG, where you have attributes like scouting, teaching, motivation, etc.. and then you also hire people to augment those numbers.

Quote:
BTW, completely forgot Bradyy backed up Henson at Michigan... I wonder if Pioli or Belicheck spotted Brady, gotta give a lot of credit to whoever saw something.
One thing to keep in mind about guys like Brady... we didn't know, but that doesn't mean Belicheck didn't know. When we're running a franchise, the information we have should be better than we would have as a fan of that team. Someone in that organization wasn't as surprised as all we were when he blew up. Perhaps the media perceived him as a potential 75, but it's not unreasonable to think maybe Belicheck or somebody saw him as the Montana clone he turned into.

-Mark Twain.
Old 02-17-2009, 07:51 PM   #24
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by thudias
Its was probably an area scout who said something to the National Scouting Director who then said something to the Pro Player VP (Pioli) who said something to the HC (Belicheck). Once they all had a chance to evaluate via tapes, combine and interviews..usually a scout will argue for a guy during pre-draft preperation.

There is no doubt Belicheck made the final decision. But he relied on Pioli's judgement a great deal.
I wonder if that area scout you mentioned uses this in dinner conversation as the "6 Degrees" between him and Tom Brady

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »