Home

I wonder if Potential or Learning (ala HC09) will be attributes in Madden 2010?

This is a discussion on I wonder if Potential or Learning (ala HC09) will be attributes in Madden 2010? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-17-2009, 01:25 PM   #1
Pro

OVR: 9
I wonder if Potential or Learning (ala HC09) will be attributes in Madden 2010?

In head coach these are two defining attributes that determine whether a player is going to be a star or a backup or even bust. It definately offsets a player who is outstanding in speed (the only important skill in all of the previous Maddens)

Maybe the casual gamer would be annoyed you couldn't just plug any FA into your roster and they would play well, but I think this adds so much realism. For example, a player rated 75 who knows the whole playbook might be more effective than an 85 who knows little or none of the playbook.

I think potential would be an even better skill to bring into Madden, however. It wouldn't necessarily have to be tied to a team's philosophies like Head Coach, but I definately think having a maximum ceiling on a players attributes is a great idea. An example of this- If you draft a player who is rated 70 but has a potential of 90, he is alot more valuable than a 10 year vet who is rated 75 with a potential of 75, because this player has no upside and isn't going to get any better.

It would all depend on the player's production and development on their team whether they reach this potential, and younger players can outplay their potential so they aren't stuck at a certain overall, but older players can't get much better than they already are.

I just think this adds so much to the draft and favoring younger players who could develop and be really good eventually, rather than aging vets who are rated higher (which is what happens in real life). In the draft, this can separate the busts from the gems as well.

All of this of course depends on the player progression/regression system the developers have in place in order for this to work, but I just think it was implemented so well into Head Coach.

Madden '10 "foundation" + depth of Head Coach 09 = my dream franchise mode.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-17-2009, 02:00 PM   #2
MVP

OVR: 13
Re: I wonder if Potential or Learning (ala HC09) will be attributes in Madden 2010?

Agree, that was definitely the best part of HC. Just those few stats alone changed the entire dynamic. It allowed things like a 75 (which is actually a rating above average in HC) rated player to be the DPOTY, simply through knowing playbook and making the right plays.
Old 02-17-2009, 02:16 PM   #3
MVP

OVR: 39
Re: I wonder if Potential or Learning (ala HC09) will be attributes in Madden 2010?

I liked this system from Head Coach but I wouldn't count on it being added to Madden 10. I am not saying it isn't possible..it just doesn't seem likely because of the development and implementation time needed.
Old 02-17-2009, 02:21 PM   #4
MVP

OVR: 18

There's so many positives from Head Coach that I hope make the move over. But even with Looman working on Franchise, I'd be lying if I said I was optimistic.
Old 02-17-2009, 02:48 PM   #5
MVP

Gossennator's Arena

OVR: 15

Another thing Madden can take from headcoach is the sidelines. I like seeing actual players who aren't on the field that are on the sidelines.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-17-2009, 03:52 PM   #6
MVP

cedwebb's Arena

OVR: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by thudias
I liked this system from Head Coach but I wouldn't count on it being added to Madden 10. I am not saying it isn't possible..it just doesn't seem likely because of the development and implementation time needed.
This is such a great thread as it really would add so much to the franchise mode. Thudias, I really hope that you are wrong on this however I do see your reasoning. However I can only imagin (i could be wrong) that HC was all made in one development cycle, and if so, why couldn't this be added into Madden 10 in one cycle? I suspect Josh Loomis has been on board for Madden 10 way before we actually got the news and who knows how much they actually had done at that point.

Anyway back on topic..IMO player should have a potential that could be realized if they are in the right system and environment. Let be honest, there have been a ton of great talent that have come into the league that had all the physical tools that just didn't make it. Take that same BUST and rewind and re-draft him onto another team...What would have happened? The same outcome or would he realize his potential and become the star he was projected? LOL we will never know..but I want to see that kind of thing happen in Madden. I want to see a player who has potetial get drafted to the wrong situation and struggle. Maybe he hits FA and revives his career, or maybe he fizzles out and is simply that bust that never panned out.

My point is if the potential rating system in implemented into Madden, and if its capable of realizing if a player is in the right situation or system, this game would have the replay factor in franchise that has been long over due. Instead of playing a season and quiting it would be non stop until Madden 11. Again..great topic!

Last edited by cedwebb; 02-17-2009 at 03:55 PM.
Old 02-17-2009, 03:53 PM   #7
Pro

OVR: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gossennator
Another thing Madden can take from headcoach is the sidelines. I like seeing actual players who aren't on the field that are on the sidelines.

^ well, yeah, I would take anything we could get from Head Coach to Madden's franchise, but the main things I would say are the offseason (FA bidding, draft, training camp/preseason with cut days) and the injury system. If we have those two things, I am completely set.

Madden '10 "foundation" + depth of Head Coach 09 = my dream franchise mode.
Old 02-17-2009, 03:56 PM   #8
Banned

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by cedwebb

My point is if the potential rating system in implemented into Madden, and if its capable of realizing if a player is in the right situation or system, this game would have the replay factor in franchise that has been long over due. Instead of playing a season and quiting it would be non stop until Madden 11. Again..great topic!
Not to take anything from what you said, but have yyou ever gotten the sense that the teams on Madden play any different from one another???

IMO all 32 teams feel the exact same, theyy just have different playbooks and names on the jerseys

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »