Home

How will speed stop from being the "all powerful" rating

This is a discussion on How will speed stop from being the "all powerful" rating within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-13-2009, 12:16 AM   #9
Live Action, please?

jfsolo's Arena

OVR: 20
Re: How will speed stop from being the "all powerful" rating

We won't know the answer to this question until we see if they are able to program defensive players to play fundamentally sound football.

Will defenders play assignment football,-draw double teams, keep weak side containment, funnel offensive players to teammates, use the sideline as an extra defender, and so on, and so on.

If the collective and individual A.I. of defensive players is still below Pop Warner level then speed will still be a too overpowering element in the game.

Do this today: Instead of $%*#!@& on a game you're not going to play or movie you're not going to watch, say something good about a piece of media you're excited about.

Do the same thing tomorrow. And the next. Now do it forever.
Old 03-13-2009, 12:40 AM   #10
49ers

adembroski's Arena

OVR: 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfsolo
We won't know the answer to this question until we see if they are able to program defensive players to play fundamentally sound football.

Will defenders play assignment football,-draw double teams, keep weak side containment, funnel offensive players to teammates, use the sideline as an extra defender, and so on, and so on.

If the collective and individual A.I. of defensive players is still below Pop Warner level then speed will still be a too overpowering element in the game.
+1

The first kind is wrong. The second is superfluous.

The only difference between reality and fiction is that fiction needs to be credible.
-Mark Twain.
Old 03-13-2009, 12:46 AM   #11
MVP

OVR: 26

Quote:

Thats really the point I was making and I was honestly looking for a response from the dev and we might get it in a weekly update but if they were willing to come on here and say that no speed no longer is the end all and be all stat and we will tell you about it later I would be quiet. I hope yall understand where Im coming from.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-13-2009, 01:25 AM   #12
Rookie

OVR: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glorious Arc
Yes that would help but what about RBs who have 99 speed and an overall of 50 being able to out perform a running back with 84 speed with an overall of 99?

I know the WR are somewhat fixed because route running means something now but what about rocket catching making every player being able to perform above their stats?

Here is some information some of the tuning we are doing to address speed rating concerns...

[Which before I even get going here, I actually really like the way feels right now...thats all im saying, Not giving any spoilers away though! lol

We have recently tuned the elusiveness rating down for a lot of different positions, especially Defensive Backs and Wide Recievers, but also some Running Backs. When I say tuned down, I mean guys who used to be in the 70, 80, and sometimes 90's are now found in the 30, 40, and 50's after tuning.

The Elusiveness rating - in a nutshell - controls what slippery, duck under tackle animations you get as a ball carrier. It does not control the "twitchiness" of the player, the left to right, that is still Agility. The agility rating has been tuned down, but nothing like what we did with elusiveness.

In past version of Madden, we have had all the cornerbacks in the game with an ELUS rating above 80....Most of them in the 90's...that meant on any Interception return, those guys were breaking tackles just like Maurice Jones Drew or DeAngelo Williams. Mario Williams was like 85 ELUS, so that meant he was effective breaking tackles elusively as someone like Brandon Jacobs. Nearly all linebackers were above 70-80 almost across the board. Even those guys would have a pretty good chance against an Offensive Lineman or Quarterback with a 20 or 30 Tackle rating.

So now the fix has been to remove this 90+ ELUS rating for a lot of runningbacks, wide receivers, and defensive backs. So now in the open field, assuming you are not trying to juke or spin (we have sperate ratings for that), these guys are going to fall down, instead of make one move and they are gone.

Now this is not the silver bullet by any means, I just wanted to share with you fine folks at OS some boring tuning details.

And it is making a difference. DB's don't house it for TDs near as often, they get tackled by OL and other offensive playres more often than before.

And now the true elusive players - Barry Sanders in his hey day, Darren Sproles, Leon Washington, guys like this will now feel much different and play much different than fast RBs like Michael Bennett or Tatum Bell who have little to no elusiveness.

Last edited by Donny_Moore; 03-13-2009 at 01:28 AM.
Old 03-13-2009, 02:01 AM   #13
All Star

OVR: 33

Awesome Donny. Looking good.

We just need players accelerating to top speed over 20+ yards, instead of instantly going top speed when the turbo is tapped.
Old 03-13-2009, 02:07 AM   #14
Live Action, please?

jfsolo's Arena

Donny, there are no boring tuning details. I could read about that stuff all day, everyday. Keep it coming.

Do this today: Instead of $%*#!@& on a game you're not going to play or movie you're not going to watch, say something good about a piece of media you're excited about.

Do the same thing tomorrow. And the next. Now do it forever.
Old 03-13-2009, 02:11 AM   #15
MVP

OVR: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donny_Moore
Here is some information some of the tuning we are doing to address speed rating concerns...

[Which before I even get going here, I actually really like the way feels right now...thats all im saying, Not giving any spoilers away though! lol

We have recently tuned the elusiveness rating down for a lot of different positions, especially Defensive Backs and Wide Recievers, but also some Running Backs. When I say tuned down, I mean guys who used to be in the 70, 80, and sometimes 90's are now found in the 30, 40, and 50's after tuning.

The Elusiveness rating - in a nutshell - controls what slippery, duck under tackle animations you get as a ball carrier. It does not control the "twitchiness" of the player, the left to right, that is still Agility. The agility rating has been tuned down, but nothing like what we did with elusiveness.

In past version of Madden, we have had all the cornerbacks in the game with an ELUS rating above 80....Most of them in the 90's...that meant on any Interception return, those guys were breaking tackles just like Maurice Jones Drew or DeAngelo Williams. Mario Williams was like 85 ELUS, so that meant he was effective breaking tackles elusively as someone like Brandon Jacobs. Nearly all linebackers were above 70-80 almost across the board. Even those guys would have a pretty good chance against an Offensive Lineman or Quarterback with a 20 or 30 Tackle rating.

So now the fix has been to remove this 90+ ELUS rating for a lot of runningbacks, wide receivers, and defensive backs. So now in the open field, assuming you are not trying to juke or spin (we have sperate ratings for that), these guys are going to fall down, instead of make one move and they are gone.

Now this is not the silver bullet by any means, I just wanted to share with you fine folks at OS some boring tuning details.

And it is making a difference. DB's don't house it for TDs near as often, they get tackled by OL and other offensive playres more often than before.

And now the true elusive players - Barry Sanders in his hey day, Darren Sproles, Leon Washington, guys like this will now feel much different and play much different than fast RBs like Michael Bennett or Tatum Bell who have little to no elusiveness.

Thanks Donny
Its good to hear that players are going to have a different play/feel. Im sure with the weekly updates everything will become clear as to how yall are forming things to get a good feel.

PS. wow I never realized the linebackers were about as elusive as some bad 09 RBs and WRs lol...speaking of which did yall take away Dewhite Freeney's(sp) spin move?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-13-2009, 02:14 AM   #16
MVP

Quote:
Donny, there are no boring tuning details. I could read about that stuff all day, everyday. Keep it coming.
I am going to have to agree here. these details really aren't that boring to me.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »