Home

Feature that ruins online play

This is a discussion on Feature that ruins online play within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-16-2009, 11:53 AM   #33
Rookie

OVR: 3
Re: Feature that ruins online play

I've had every madden since 04, and couple random ones from before then(like 01) and you can switch playbooks in every version i've had.

I now use TB playbook(no, i don't use HB snap, so dun bitch)

I used Oaklands playbook for like 3 years straight, 05-08 and i'm a carolina fan]

so i am pretty sure you could use any of em in 04, that was the year of Vick, so i'm pretty sure i saw different playbooks w/ the falcons..

man 04 brings back some memories.... only year i learned to glitch, there were like 10 glitches that were so easy to use it was stupid...
Old 03-16-2009, 12:03 PM   #34
Banned

OVR: 8

How many plays in Madden are actually Team Specific? And not just 'Moss Slant' but actually team specific and not found in ANY other playbook?

Is there one single play that isn't found in 2 or more playbooks? I doubt it.
Old 03-16-2009, 12:09 PM   #35
Pro

OVR: 9

This guy's suggestion isn't as horrible as people are implying. I agree that it's more realistic to be subjected to the team's actual playbook.

HOWEVER, Madden has already given us the freedom to select the playbook we choose. I don't think they can afford to take this away and I am for user freedom over anything else. (I'm a liberalist in the madden world)

NOT TO MENTION, this is contingent upon EA providing accurate/updated plays and coaching at all times.

Let's get the fantasy football section poppin!
http://www.operationsports.com/forums/fantasy-football/
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-16-2009, 12:15 PM   #36
Banned

OVR: 26

LOL, this was a shock post, can't really believe this guys is serious
Old 03-16-2009, 12:19 PM   #37
Rookie

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by IStillDoWhatIDo
NOT TO MENTION, this is contingent upon EA providing accurate/updated plays and coaching at all times.

Yeah.... that is a huuuge detail. If the playbooks really reflected an NFL teams playbook i could maybe understand this PB lock feature. But they don't!

An NFL playbook is the size of an Encyclopedia, they all basically have every play you can think of in them, and 10x the number of plays in a madden playbook.

The current playbooks in madden don't reflect the play style of the team they are assigned to either, TB is the only playbook with HB snap this year... and my brother is a tampa fan.. and they did not use HB snap last year.

And last but not least... the playbooks don't change. I said earlier i used Oaklands playbook from 05-07, 3 years... and in madden it was basically the same playbook....they had different coaches, but the same playbook? haha, year right!

for what the madden playbooks currently are you can't lock them to a team, its not fair. and what about guys who want to use a 4-3, 3-4, or 46, when team X doesn't do that.

plus then individuals would use 1 team alll year. I use to use Philly, and the chargers, but the panthers are my fav team and i use them the most. I want my playbook no matter which of those teams im using, not get use to one playbook and have to learn a whole new style of play just to change teams.
Old 03-16-2009, 01:19 PM   #38
Banned

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da Birthday Boy
For Madden 10 the ability to change your playbook must be taken out. If you don't like the style a team plays, then don't pick them. When do you seen in real life a coach go up to another one and ask them to borrow their playbook before the game? All it does is let people find glitch plays and then continue it with every team, let them use their own team, with it's real playbook. Should be simple to take out and would make a big difference online.
The only problem with this is that I'm not so sure they always get the playbooks right in the first place. Being a 49er fan, last season our offensive playbook changed nearly as drastically as you will ever see in the NFL, going from a hybrid Coryell/Bill Walsh type offense to Martz' offense, but the same change didn't happen in the game, I don't think.

Maybe a better solution is not have glitch plays in any playbook. Yeah, that's a lot of work, but it isn't really all that different from eliminating the sped up animation solutions the developers made for other problems. Recall the discussion on FB dive, etc, and why those glitches came about- i.e. animation "quick fixes" to solve a different problem, kind of like how eliminating the option to chose a different play book is a "quick fix" to people cheesing.

Taking away the option to chose a different play book isn't fixing the problem, it's masking it.

This guy has it right:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sin18
wow....

dumb idea, the playbooks arent very strong reflections of the teams playcalling, and the playbook is the same each year even if the team gets a new coach

and no huddle needs to be in the gm, ask manning how often he huddles, what 30% of the time? thats it. ive seen hs jv teams run no huddle every play, its stupid to limit it in madden essepecially with such short quarters

both are top 10 worst ideas for madden

Last edited by 94niners; 03-16-2009 at 01:29 PM.
Old 03-16-2009, 01:34 PM   #39
MVP

OVR: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by IStillDoWhatIDo
Yep, which they haven't really managed in past years. Hopefully this year it will be better. I'm hoping to see the wildcat in Miami's playbook.
Old 03-16-2009, 02:02 PM   #40
Rookie

OVR: 2

i think the wildcat is a perfect example of why you should be able to pick your playbook. There are a few teams(besides Dolphins) who have the personel to run wildcat. It should be your coaching call. There might even be a few teams that throw it in, in real life this year. Teams with college Qb's converted to wideouts would be perfect for it. It should be your call.

I also enjoyed changing playbooks, because some teams that i wanted to use did not have any shotgun. Everyteam runs shotgun once in a while.

I do see wildcat being a potential problem if it is made too effective though. All i can think of is Percy Harvin subed in at Qb in NCAA 09. Huge Problem

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »