Home

Finances=Sim=True Franchise

This is a discussion on Finances=Sim=True Franchise within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-16-2009, 05:43 PM   #9
MVP

stlstudios189's Arena

OVR: 41
Re: Finances=Sim=True Franchise

I like this idea to come back to madden. I loved having to balance my budget and still stay competative.

I have won like 20 Super Bowls in Madden so I am kinda a big deal.
Old 03-16-2009, 08:18 PM   #10
MVP

OVR: 26

Maybe the problem is not the max salary cap but the minimum each team has to spend. IRL the cap is 127mil? and the minimum spend is about 110mil?
Old 03-16-2009, 09:59 PM   #11
Banned

It's about time I got some support on this topic. They need to bring this feature back!! LOL can't be a "sim" franchise without finance...period!!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-16-2009, 11:06 PM   #12
49ers

adembroski's Arena

OVR: 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by FadeEmAll
It's about time I got some support on this topic. They need to bring this feature back!! LOL can't be a "sim" franchise without finance...period!!
Disagree 100%. Case in point: NFL Head Coach. Better than any franchise mode in any console game you'll ever see, and it barely deals with finance at all. There's a salary cap, signing bonuses, and incentives, but the business side of the game is kept in the background.

The trouble with finances in a football game is that there's no profit motive. I'll just dump every cent I make back into the franchise. Realistically, I'd have living expenses. I'd wanna buy a Bentley and a couple planes or something. I'd wanna build and reinvest wealth in other areas so my kid's kid's grandkids are set for life. Madden cannot simulate this.

Plus, if it's just "money" I can dump every extra cent I find into hiring the All-Star team of coaching staffs. That's another thing I loved about HC... you didn't hire coaches with money, you hired them by giving up control. To get a great offensive coordinator, you had to give him control of the playbook, sometimes even philosophies (thus, you took HIS quarterback, not yours). Made you get the minimum you can work with.

Head Coach created a great franchise because they realized the NFL Economy is not easily replicated. So they didn't. They kept it off stage.

I prefer to keep it that way. It's a football game, not a business sim.

The first kind is wrong. The second is superfluous.

The only difference between reality and fiction is that fiction needs to be credible.
-Mark Twain.

Last edited by adembroski; 03-16-2009 at 11:12 PM.
Old 03-17-2009, 08:55 AM   #13
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by adembroski
Disagree 100%. Case in point: NFL Head Coach. Better than any franchise mode in any console game you'll ever see, and it barely deals with finance at all. There's a salary cap, signing bonuses, and incentives, but the business side of the game is kept in the background.

The trouble with finances in a football game is that there's no profit motive. I'll just dump every cent I make back into the franchise........

Head Coach created a great franchise because they realized the NFL Economy is not easily replicated. So they didn't. They kept it off stage.

I prefer to keep it that way. It's a football game, not a business sim.
Good post, but in case you haven't watched news programs about sports in the last 10 years, or listened to the quotes by the players "Football is a Business". The profit motive is hiring better coaches, signing better free agents, building stadiums etc. If people don't want to deal with that aspect of the game, they can have the option of turning it off. Plus I don't agree at all with your assessment of Head coach being the best franchise SIm. I think MLB The Show trumps head coach, and you better believe their is money matters in that game and it plays a big impact (and you have the option of turning it off). I'm not saying force people to deal with finances, cheesers will always want to be able to go out and sign any coach or any plasyer they want because they want a realistic game without having to deal with real problems (a trait indicative of our society) I'd rather deal with all aspects of the game. If I'm playing $60 for a game I want to be challenged and All-Madden level ain't doing it.
Old 03-17-2009, 09:47 AM   #14
Banned

OVR: 29

The only time profit and business should come into this game is when you are trying to sign players.

Changing the price of hot dogs and parking is meaningless when you can't see your new "Huge Screen TV Scoreboard" or personal cup holders on stadium seats.

Focus the financial portion of the game on player contracts and a realistic CPU AI for player attitudes and you will have a winner.

It should be hard for the Browns to sign Terrell Owens (maybe impossible). However, if the team has become a consistent playoff contender under the guidance of the user and Adrian Peterson refuses to stay with the Vikings because they will never make it to the playoffs - you should have a chance to sign him, otherwise...never.
Old 03-17-2009, 12:13 PM   #15
Banned

OVR: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by marktg30
The only time profit and business should come into this game is when you are trying to sign players.

Changing the price of hot dogs and parking is meaningless when you can't see your new "Huge Screen TV Scoreboard" or personal cup holders on stadium seats.

Focus the financial portion of the game on player contracts and a realistic CPU AI for player attitudes and you will have a winner.

It should be hard for the Browns to sign Terrell Owens (maybe impossible). However, if the team has become a consistent playoff contender under the guidance of the user and Adrian Peterson refuses to stay with the Vikings because they will never make it to the playoffs - you should have a chance to sign him, otherwise...never.
VERY well said! I would definitely like to see more of a challenge relating to player contracts and developing a team/roster, but I have absolutely NO interest in pricing hot dogs, tickets, parking, etc. For me that brings absolutely NOTHING to the game. If they do include that aspect, please make it an option that can be turned on/off.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-17-2009, 01:30 PM   #16
Banned

OVR: 7

they deff need a system to make it harder to navigate the cap, like in head coach, if you go crazy signing high priced free agents you will be in trouble. If you build through the draft, and sign only a need position or 2 each year, you will be ok.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »