Home

Owner Mode or Franchise Mode?

This is a discussion on Owner Mode or Franchise Mode? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-18-2009, 06:51 PM   #9
Pro

OVR: 9
Re: Owner Mode or Franchise Mode?

Quote:
Originally Posted by g2thecore
I don't think anyone is asking for "ANOTHER HEAD COACH". Anyone who's played NFL HC knows the kind of depth that the offseason/draft/trades offers, so we're simply asking that they implement something of that nature.

A GM mode sounds like a good idea, but believe me when I say that if Madden could have 1/3 of the depth and detail in NFL HC09 as well as awesome gameplay, it would be something truly EPIC!

Head Coach's off season is good enough for me

Madden '10 "foundation" + depth of Head Coach 09 = my dream franchise mode.
Old 03-18-2009, 07:08 PM   #10
49ers

adembroski's Arena

OVR: 43

Let me explain the reason I don't like "Owner" mode.

It implies I'm playing the game from the perspective of an owner. As an owner, I should be concerned with profit margin. The problem is that a video game must give you that motivation... but ultimately, I'm not going to care about anything other than winning football games. Thus I'm just going to dump every cent back into the franchise. The very nature of owner mode make sit unrealistic.

I don't care if they include the financial aspects of the game, but they A.) have to be done right and B.) have to deal with profit. If I play from a GM perspective, then it can be done because we can have a CPU simulated "owner" demanding a profit.

Last gen, they were not done right. I do not want to play a franchise mode in which stadiums are half full everywhere. I don't want the drudgery of setting hot dog prices (The appropriate way to do this would be to set vendor space rental prices... let vendors sell hot dogs!).

I like Head Coach's way of doing thigns because I can't sit there and hire an all-star cast of coaches. If I want a great coordinator, I've gotta let him run the show on that side of the ball. That's realistic. Being able to hire the best possible coach at every position just because I have money to spend is ridiculous.

Franchise mode should be a coaching career mode that's set up similar to the way the San Francisco 49ers ran their organizations under Bill Walsh; meaning the Head Coach (as opposed to the GM) is the head of the organization. You create the Head Coach at the beginning of your career and follow that coach, and you hire your GM (who affects your scouting, contract negotiations, etc.).

The first kind is wrong. The second is superfluous.

The only difference between reality and fiction is that fiction needs to be credible.
-Mark Twain.
Old 03-18-2009, 07:12 PM   #11
Banned

OVR: 26

Dude you going to get noehre with this post. I for one love 100% the idea of combining all apects of the game finance, GM and coaches but many here don't agree. That's the reason Madden will always be behind MLB The Show, everyone wants to dumb it down, they don't want a sim they just want the thing to look cool and let them sign and play with whoever they want. I understand their logic but I guess on a "Next-Gen" game I expect everything the old had plus more, not just some better graphics and refs on the f3ck!ng field....
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-18-2009, 07:35 PM   #12
Pro

OVR: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by adembroski
Let me explain the reason I don't like "Owner" mode.

It implies I'm playing the game from the perspective of an owner. As an owner, I should be concerned with profit margin. The problem is that a video game must give you that motivation... but ultimately, I'm not going to care about anything other than winning football games. Thus I'm just going to dump every cent back into the franchise. The very nature of owner mode make sit unrealistic.

I don't care if they include the financial aspects of the game, but they A.) have to be done right and B.) have to deal with profit. If I play from a GM perspective, then it can be done because we can have a CPU simulated "owner" demanding a profit.

Last gen, they were not done right. I do not want to play a franchise mode in which stadiums are half full everywhere. I don't want the drudgery of setting hot dog prices (The appropriate way to do this would be to set vendor space rental prices... let vendors sell hot dogs!).

I like Head Coach's way of doing thigns because I can't sit there and hire an all-star cast of coaches. If I want a great coordinator, I've gotta let him run the show on that side of the ball. That's realistic. Being able to hire the best possible coach at every position just because I have money to spend is ridiculous.

Franchise mode should be a coaching career mode that's set up similar to the way the San Francisco 49ers ran their organizations under Bill Walsh; meaning the Head Coach (as opposed to the GM) is the head of the organization. You create the Head Coach at the beginning of your career and follow that coach, and you hire your GM (who affects your scouting, contract negotiations, etc.).
with no disrespect intended what so ever..I just want to know why people want another head coach..why cant "nfl head coach" be head coach..and madden have "gm mode"?..I agree that being the owner would be somewhat....not fun? A GM makes alot of decisions..In madden we should have jerry jones type leverage..In the end, You just count on your coach to run the plays as you want them to be ran. For people who really enjoy building franchises and finding the right coach to lead your franchise..General Manager seems like a no brainer..but you're one of many who want basically a nfl head coach 2010 so maybe its just me.
Old 03-18-2009, 07:40 PM   #13
Rookie

OVR: 19

[quote=FadeEmAll;2039318150]Dude you going to get noehre with this post.\quote]

Well the purpose of this post was to get a feel on what mode most people liked from previous Madden's and thats what i got so its not pointless for me at least. It is interesting to hear why people say owner mode sucked, how it could improve or why it sgould never be in gaming again.

The best way to make Madden a good game for me is to revamp the franchise. I want EA to regain the title of deepest franchise in sports gaming. EA had this claim on the early in the 2001, 02 madden, but have been passed by 2k and The show
Old 03-18-2009, 07:45 PM   #14
Pro

OVR: 10

Quote:
EA had this claim on the early in the 2001, 02 madden, but have been passed by 2k and The show
and they've been passed in a very significant way.
Old 03-18-2009, 07:47 PM   #15
MVP

PGaither84's Arena

OVR: 49

I don't know why people don't give Madden 06 any credit here. The aditions of Smart routes, formation audibles, slide line protect, lead blocker controls, progresions in franchise mode on weeks 5, 11, and 17 along with other subtle "fixes" to hit stick/highlight stick adn so forth made 06 a solid game. i know that after 2k5 came out no one wanted to give madden 06 any credit, but in my opinion, if you could take the pre-play controls and franchise mode of madden 05-08 on PS2/Xbox/Gamecube and the graphics/presentation of ESPN you would have possibly the greatest NFL ever.

I love 2k5, but how many people here forget all the flaws with 2k5? The FB is worthless, DB's that turn away from the play or spin in a circle around a reciver and hen let thie by at random times? How about that the QB could scramble for insane yardage becasue the D didn't even recognize a scrambling QB untill they passed the Line of Scrimage? Do you rememeber how hard it is to complete a simple flats throw? Even with brady I have to pray my reciver will actually catch an out route. they normally just bounce off their backs/shoulders/helmets instead of making the open catch. yes, i do know how to play 2k5 and here are some very terrible/abuseable aspect to that game that the shinny presentation makes you forget about. Regardles of all that, i still love the game and play it a lot.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-18-2009, 07:53 PM   #16
MVP

g2thecore's Arena

OVR: 22

Once again, who's asking for another Head Coach? I haven't seen anyone on this thread type those words.

What we want is for them to "steal" some aspects of the Head Coach game and implement them into Madden. No one is actually asking them to copy HC09 code for code here.

If there's anything we agree on is that the Franchise mode does need to be improved. I truly believe that if they were to draw some inspiration from what HC09 did well, and improve/add upon those things, that we would have an awesome single player experience. I would really like for a total renovation of Franchise mode to be honest, but I highly doubt that with Ian's agenda we will be seeing that kind of jump forward. I hope I'm wrong....

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »