Home

NFL Terminology: "Cap Penalty", "Hot Route"

This is a discussion on NFL Terminology: "Cap Penalty", "Hot Route" within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-31-2009, 06:07 AM   #1
49ers

adembroski's Arena

OVR: 43
NFL Terminology: "Cap Penalty", "Hot Route"

Something that's kinda bugged me about Madden for a while now is the misuse of terms or the arbitrary renaming of things. I think the team would do well to make the adjustments now to the correct terminology.

Example number one is "Cap Penalty". I'm not entirely sure if the NFL actually uses the term "Cap Penalty" at all, but if they did, my guess is that it would refer to the loss of draft picks endured by teams that violate the salary cap. The appropriate term for the money being assessed the cap due to released players is "Dead Money". Or, at least, that's the most common phrase I've heard.

The other one is "Hot Route". Madden uses the term Hot Route to refer to at-the-line sight adjustments... basically 1-player audibles. A Hot Route to an NFL player is a route specifically designed as a blitz beater, and is already built into most plays, or is an automatic sight adjustment that is made on the fly without any extra input from the quarterback. Most often, it takes the form of an inside release from the TE that covers the vacated area on the side that the offensive is most vulnerable, or a swing type route from a back.

I'm sure LBzrule can elaborate on a lot more of these things. I'm willing to bet "Defensive Hot Route" isn't the correct term for individual defensive player adjustments either, but then, I don't know much about defensive terminology anymore.

The first kind is wrong. The second is superfluous.

The only difference between reality and fiction is that fiction needs to be credible.
-Mark Twain.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-31-2009, 07:09 AM   #2
MVP

nuckles2k2's Arena

OVR: 13
Re: NFL Terminology: "Cap Penalty", "Hot Route"

Yea I agree with pretty much everything you've said there Adem. "Dead Money" is the term used for that extra $ on the team's books after releasing players, and if at all possible, the team taking care of the franchise mode should add the "hard cap and hard floor" when it comes to dealing with the salary cap.

And they can remove the route from hot route, the actual terminology is hot receiver or hot read.
Old 03-31-2009, 07:29 AM   #3
49ers

adembroski's Arena

OVR: 43

If you wanna get really technical, linebackers don't blitz, they're dogs, and defensive backs don't dog, they blitz.

The first kind is wrong. The second is superfluous.

The only difference between reality and fiction is that fiction needs to be credible.
-Mark Twain.
Old 03-31-2009, 09:46 AM   #4
Banned

OVR: 26

Actually the NFL does use the term "cap penalty" whenever they trade or release a player and have to pay his signing bonus. The incur the "cap penalty" when the trade/release and throughout the season it is the referred to as "dead money" on the books. I don't think I agree with your "blitz" vs "dog" assessment either but you could be right, maybe every coach I ever played for was wrong....
Old 03-31-2009, 09:57 AM   #5
D* W*rk!

Rocky's Arena

OVR: 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by adembroski
Something that's kinda bugged me about Madden for a while now is the misuse of terms or the arbitrary renaming of things. I think the team would do well to make the adjustments now to the correct terminology.

Example number one is "Cap Penalty". I'm not entirely sure if the NFL actually uses the term "Cap Penalty" at all, but if they did, my guess is that it would refer to the loss of draft picks endured by teams that violate the salary cap. The appropriate term for the money being assessed the cap due to released players is "Dead Money". Or, at least, that's the most common phrase I've heard.

The other one is "Hot Route". Madden uses the term Hot Route to refer to at-the-line sight adjustments... basically 1-player audibles. A Hot Route to an NFL player is a route specifically designed as a blitz beater, and is already built into most plays, or is an automatic sight adjustment that is made on the fly without any extra input from the quarterback. Most often, it takes the form of an inside release from the TE that covers the vacated area on the side that the offensive is most vulnerable, or a swing type route from a back.

I'm sure LBzrule can elaborate on a lot more of these things. I'm willing to bet "Defensive Hot Route" isn't the correct term for individual defensive player adjustments either, but then, I don't know much about defensive terminology anymore.
I don't know if it's that big of a deal. I mean what else would you call it without it confusing people.

I wish there was a way we could build in hot reads and sight adjustments at the play call screen.
"Maybe I can't win. But to beat me, he's going to have to kill me. And to kill me, he's gonna have to have the heart to stand in front of me. And to do that, he's got to be willing to die himself. I don't know if he's ready to do that."
-Rocky Balboa
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-31-2009, 10:07 AM   #6
Banned

OVR: 12

Quote:
There's definitely no such thing as a defensive hot route; defensive players don't run routes. You're right about hot routes, those are routes that are usually put into plays before hand in case the defense blitzes.
Old 03-31-2009, 10:07 AM   #7
MVP

bgeno's Arena

OVR: 18

Quote:
If you wanna get really technical, linebackers don't blitz, they're dogs, and defensive backs don't dog, they blitz.
I don't know about that.

"Dog" was always the name of our strong-side outside linebacker in our defense in high school. "Cat" was the weakside... We ran a 4-4.

I've never heard anyone say a linebacker "dogged." Maybe the terminology differs from system to system.
Old 03-31-2009, 10:13 AM   #8
Banned

OVR: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgeno
I don't know about that.

"Dog" was always the name of our strong-side outside linebacker in our defense in high school. "Cat" was the weakside... We ran a 4-4.

I've never heard anyone say a linebacker "dogged." Maybe the terminology differs from system to system.
Speaking of outside linebackers, there really aren't right and left outside linebackers; Most(if not all) teams in the NFL use strong or weak side backers. Instead of LOLB, ROLB, and MLB, it should be WOLB, SOLB, WILB, SILB and MLB. The strong safeties should line up on the strong side of the formation also.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »