Home

Slightly Different Approach to QB Vision

This is a discussion on Slightly Different Approach to QB Vision within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
View Poll Results: What do you think of this "new" QB vision mechanism?
I like Version 1 exactly as it is. It is an upgrade over the cone. 4 30.77%
I like Version 2 exactly as it is. It is an upgrade over the cone. 2 15.38%
I would like Version 1 but with some modifications. 2 15.38%
I would like Version 2 but with some modifications. 0 0%
I do not believe either one is an upgrade over the cone. 5 38.46%
Voters: 13. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-05-2009, 06:00 PM   #9
Banned

OVR: 7
Re: Slightly Different Approach to QB Vision

Quote:
Originally Posted by boucher
I voted neither
What are your reasons? After all, this thread is about finding the best way to incorporate some form of QB vision into the game.

So why is the old vision cone better than or equal to these ideas?
Old 04-05-2009, 06:13 PM   #10
Banned

OVR: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94niners
What are your reasons? After all, this thread is about finding the best way to incorporate some form of QB vision into the game.

So why is the old vision cone better than or equal to these ideas?
I didnt like the old vision cone, and i feel theres to much going on with your two ideas
Old 04-05-2009, 06:23 PM   #11
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by boucher
I didnt like the old vision cone, and i feel theres to much going on with your two ideas
a.) you DO want some form of QB vision, right? If not, why are you even in this thread?

b.) there isn't any more going on than with what goes on when you play Halo (in fact there is less). All you do with version 2 is move the right analog to direct the general direction your QB looks as you move the left one to direct where your QB moves. No different than Halo. In version 2, you do nothing different except make sure your QB isn't facing left when you're throwing right.

Last edited by 94niners; 04-05-2009 at 10:32 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-05-2009, 07:48 PM   #12
Banned

shotgun styles's Arena

OVR: 16

The cone did not work. It's failure had less to do with how "sim" it was, than it did to whom it helped.

The cone was just more buttons to push before passing. This naturally favored the fast fingered player. This is the primary reason why so many people disliked it.

If you can make it so that the cone does not disproportionately help 12 year old super button combo kids, then you have a workable solution. If not, you'll never get it sold to the majority of the people who hated it.
Old 04-05-2009, 08:04 PM   #13
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by shotgun styles
[...]

If you can make it so that the cone does not disproportionately help 12 year old super button combo kids, then you have a workable solution. If not, you'll never get it sold to the majority of the people who hated it.
There isn't any extra button mashing in either of these two versions. Nor is there any "cone" graphics on the screen.

In version 2, all you are doing is this: when you move your QB in the pocket, make sure he is facing the general direction that you are trying to throw (facing right and throwing left = no no)

In version 1, the only addition is that you control the angle your QB faces with the right analog stick, while you move him with the left.

In BOTH versions there is exactly ONE button to press to pass. Throwing the ball is EXACTLY like it currently is. To throw to the 'B' receiver, just press B, etc. The only difference is that you must be mindful of where your QB is facing. In version 1 you manually adjust the angle his feet/head are making with the line of scrimmage with the right analog as you drop back or maneuver in the pocket with the left analog. In version 2 you do this by not taking a ridiculously scattered drop. Keep your QB facing the appropriate direction, nothing more.

Last edited by 94niners; 04-05-2009 at 08:07 PM.
Old 04-05-2009, 08:21 PM   #14
Banned

shotgun styles's Arena

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94niners
There isn't any extra button mashing in either of these two versions. Nor is there any "cone" graphics on the screen.

In version 2, all you are doing is this: when you move your QB in the pocket, make sure he is facing the general direction that you are trying to throw (facing right and throwing left = no no)

In version 1, the only addition is that you control the angle your QB faces with the right analog stick, while you move him with the left.

In BOTH versions there is exactly ONE button to press to pass. Throwing the ball is EXACTLY like it currently is. To throw to the 'B' receiver, just press B, etc. The only difference is that you must be mindful of where your QB is facing. In version 1 you manually adjust the angle his feet/head are making with the line of scrimmage with the right analog as you drop back or maneuver in the pocket with the left analog. In version 2 you do this by not taking a ridiculously scattered drop. Keep your QB facing the appropriate direction, nothing more.
I actually suggested something like version 1 back when the cone came out. I did not like the reasoning behind creating the cone (let's face it, they wanted to slow down Vick) nor did I like the bias toward "pocket passers" that the size of the cone created.

I think a head turn with slight movement of the left stick (same stick you move with) to look off receivers is a good idea. I think it's workable, will look real, and will achieve the desired affect without unduly taxing slower fingered players with more tasks to complete before throwing.
Old 04-05-2009, 10:36 PM   #15
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by shotgun styles
[...]

I think a head turn with slight movement of the left stick (same stick you move with) to look off receivers is a good idea. I think it's workable, will look real, and will achieve the desired affect without unduly taxing slower fingered players with more tasks to complete before throwing.
That's pretty much version 2 of this thread.

If you're going to have some sort of QB vision using the procedural awareness, it needs to be as intuitive and simple as possible. Not button mashing etc.

I don't think version 1 is too much a stretch though, because if you play any first person shooter you're already familiar with the mechanic of controlling the general direction your player looks with one stick and where he moves with another (again, it's like Halo).

Best of all, though ,is that there would be no gimmicky cone graphics or complicated button pressing combos that waste precious seconds.
Advertisements - Register to remove

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »